Backpacking in Asia? You're sure to get your fill of awe-inspiring temples, taste bud-awakening food, and monkeys. So many monkeys. Here are our top tips & a little tough love before you go.
1. Don’t be afraid to do some things alone. You’ll never regret forgoing the chatterbox in your group for some simple reflective moments around a temple.
2. See something you like? Buy it. Chances are you won’t find it again, so cut yourself some slack and get that figurine- if you change your mind you can always pass it off as a present…
3. Don’t be afraid to haggle, but keep in mind that you’re in a better position than the other guy when you get down to the nitty gritty.
4. Try different foods! Don’t be that guy who only drank coke and ate prawn crackers the whole time. Choose something which is a bit of a mystery, it’s all part of the experience. Just be ready for your relationships to get a whole lot deeper if it doesn’t agree with you later.
5. On the subject of food, don’t expect the cuisine on offer to be the same, or even available, as your favourite takeout back home. A lot of the food we have at our local down the road is westernised!
6. While the monkeys are plenty cute- don’t trust them, they know this game better than you. Look after your backpack, they will most likely think food is inside & try to get in it.
7. Book bus tickets early- that way you get one of the best seats in the house and the best chances for a good sleep.
8. Ear plugs – a must have for hostel rooms/buses/planes – never underestimate the value of a good sleep.