Flight Centre Palmerston North's Edrei Valath originates from Singapore and shares his top 5 must-do’s:
1. Visit the Changi Chapel and Museum - this poignant museum tells the stories of the prisoners of war during WW2. It also houses the murals painted by them, depicting their harsh lives during that time.
2. Wander down Arab Street and amaze at the amount of silk for sale on one small stretch of road. Better still, if you’re looking to purchase, haggle with the owners for the best prices!
3. Take a cruise on the Singapore River in the evening. You get an amazing view of the Merlion as well as the contrast of the old shop houses along the river and the modern skyscrapers in the background.
4. Visit Pulau Ubin and step into the past. This throwback to the 1950’s will give you an idea of how Singapore looked and felt before it became ultra-modern. Furthermore, marvel at Chek Jawa, the most important natural attraction on the island.
5. Try the mouth-watering cuisine of the Peranakan. Often spicy, Peranakan food is always fragrant, tasty and delicious. It takes the best of Chinese and Malay cooking and blends them into a mind-boggling mix that will leave you begging for more!
Looking for more information on Singapore? or Cheap flights to Asia? Contact Flight Centre travel expert Edrei Valath in our Flight Centre Palmerston North store or one of Flight Centre's 135 stores nationwide. Phone 0800 24 35 44.