See Cuba from two wheels as you cycle around this laidback Caribbean island. Travel the colourful streets of Havana, along dusty roads past farms and tobacco plantations in Vinales, beside vintage cars and horse-drawn carriages and get a taste of Cuba beyond the rum and cigar scene. Swim in Cayo Jutias’ clear blue waters, explore Che Guevara’s former HQ at the Cueva de los Portales and cool off in the bubbling river pools in Las Terrazas. Soak up the best of Cuba as you traverse this fascinating country.
Travel Dates: From 23/01/2017 to 30/12/2018
Duration: 7 days
- Cycling through Caribbean Cuba gives you unique access to parts of the island that are off the beaten track
See animals in their natural habitat, including the Cuban crocodile, an abundance of marine life and the world’s smallest bird, the bee hummingbird
Cycle through the lush valley of Soroa
- Known as Cuba's Rainbow, the valley is rich in plant and wildlife
Cuba is recognised as the world’s finest cigar manufacturer
- Learn how to roll a cigar with a local tobacco farmer near the small town of Vinales
After a visit to the temporary HQ of Cueva de los Portales and a guided walking tour of Old Havana, you’ll understand Che Guevara's important role in the Cuban Revolution
Indulge in some sun, sand and sea on the pristine beaches of Cayo Jutias
Breakfasts Included: 6
Lunches Included: 3
Dinners Included: 1
Guesthouse (6 nts)
Age: min 16
Group Size: 1 - 12
Soroa - Orchid garden tour
Havana - Bike fitting
Guided cycling tour of Old Havana
Las Terrazas - Eco-village Visit
Vinales - Orientation Walk
Vinales - Beach excursion to Cayo Jutias
Day 1: Havana
Bienvenido a Cuba! A complimentary transfer is included with your trip. Please ensure you provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel so the transfer can be organised. The driver will have the address of your guesthouse. After collecting your luggage, continue through the 'Main Arrivals Hall' of the airport (do not exit through the side door). An Intrepid representative holding a sign with your name on it will be waiting to take you to your pre-arranged transfer. If you can't locate the Intrepid representative, please call +53 52506496. Do not rely on somebody else to call for you as they may be seeking commission to direct you to another transfer company. Once you've arrived at your accommodation, your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 7 pm. Your evening is then free to relax. Riding distance: none
Day 2: Soroa
This morning we leave our guesthouse early and meet our support crew and being fitted to your bike. After a short test ride to ensure everything is working smoothly then get to know your bike better with an easy 10 kilometre Havana ride, taking in Lennon Park, Cemetery Colon, plaza de la Revolución, Havana university, funky La Rampa, beachside Malecón and finish at the seat of Cuban politics, El Capitolio. After lunch we bundle into the support vehicle to be transported to Soroa, taking a tour of the spectacular Soroa Orchid Garden before checking in to our guesthouse. Known as the 'rainbow of Cuba', Soroa is a flourishing landscape of flora and fauna. You’ll share the road with local traffic of tractors, bicycles, vintage American cars, old Ladas and horse drawn carriages. Riding distance: approx. 10 kms
Day 3: Soroa/Las Terrazas
Cycle from Soroa to the renowned eco-village of Comunidad Las Terrazas, a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve set in beautiful green surrounds and home to a lively art community. After our visit to Las Terrazas, continue to the cascading waterfalls of the San Juan River with time for a refreshing swim in the same waters that irrigate the local coffee plantations before continuing back to Soroa (by bus). Riding distance: approx. 25 kms
Day 4: Viñales
Leave Soroa by bus to hilly Cueva de los Portales, where Che Guevara stayed and trained farmers. Once there ride your bike in this beautiful remote area then cycle on to Vinales. This route is approximately 45 kilometres at a medium to difficult level. Along the way enjoy a picnic and visit a tobacco farm, where a local farmer will show you how tobacco is grown, dried and then rolled into cigars. On arrival into Vinales, get to know the streets on a short afternoon orientation walk before visiting a hillside organic farm for dinner. The rest of the evening is free to take at your leisure- why not try one of the many live music venues or salsa the night away. Riding distance: approx. 45 kms
Day 5: Vinales / Cayo Jutias
After breakfast we cycle to Cayo Jutias. With its surreal white beaches and pale blue waters, Cayo Jutias is one of those Caribbean beaches you only dream about. After your ride stretch out on the sands and enjoy a packed lunch away from from the usual tourist crowds, with plenty of time to do some swimming in the warm waters. After some time to snooze and splash about, take the support vehicle back to Vinales. Riding distance: approx. 65 kms
Day 6: Havana
Cycle from Vinales to Consolacion del Sur, a journey of approximately 40 kilometres, then transport back to Havana. On the way we visit the Diego Rivera-inspired Mural de la Prehistoria. Painted on a cliff at the foot of the Sierra de Vinales, the huge eye-catching mural took 18 people four years to finish! On arrival in Havana, make the most of a free afternoon to reacquaint yourself with Cuba's charming capital. Perhaps visit the Jose Marti Memorial Tower or, if it suits you, your guide can help organise a final group meal in one of the many paladars in Old Havana. Riding distance: approx. 40 kms
Day 7: Havana
Your Cycle Cuba adventure comes to an end this morning. There are no more activities planned and you're free to depart after breakfast. Riding distance: none
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 January 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..