Quito and the Centre of the Earth Experience - Independent
Stand at the centre of the world on this tour to Quito, home of the equatorial line. Walk the cobbled streets of the Old Town of Quito and enjoy rich examples of Baroque art and architecture in the surrounding churches, monasteries and homes. Walk through the sumptuous grandeur of La Compania church and look out over the city’s streets from El Panecillo. Finally, enjoy standing on either side of the equator at the equatorial line monument. Independent Experiences Independent travel, without the stress. Peregrine’s Independent Experiences are a range of short ‘mini tours’ that you can add to other Experiences or as an extension to a longer tour, to craft your perfect holiday itinerary. Independent Experiences are for 1-3 travellers, come accompanied by a local Peregrine guide and depart daily. /experiences
Travel Dates: From 25/04/2017 to 01/01/2019
Duration: 2 days
- The closer you get to the equator, the more you may notice the Coriolis effect
- Take a walk around the fascinating Inti Nan equator museum to test this theory of gravity and motion
While Quito's main cathedral is perhaps more famous, the baroque masterpiece of La Compania de Jesus rivals any church in the world for beauty and architecture
Scale the iconic hill of El Panecillo and stand at the foot of the Virgen de Quito monument
- The views over Ecuador's capital are spectacular
Discover Quito's historic Old Town
- Your personal guide will show you the city sights and lead you down Calle La Ronda, Quito's oldest street
Breakfasts Included: 2
On foot,Private van
Group Size: 1 - 4
Complimentary airport arrival transfer
Equator line - Museum visit
Quito - Compañia de Jesus visit
Quito - Intiñan Museum visit
Quito - Panecillo Hill
1 Quito - Equator Monument
Welcome to Quito, Ecuador. Your Independent Experience begins with a pick-up at 8 am from the Quito hotel of your choice. Please contact us if you require assistance arranging accommodation in Quito. If you book your own accommodation, please ensure that your booking agent has been informed of your hotel address at least 15 days prior to the start of this trip. We'll be collecting insurance details and next of kin information today, so ensure you bring these details to provide to your leader. Later in the morning, embark on a walking tour around the charming Old Town, known locally as ‘Centro Historico’. Declared a World Heritage site in 1978, there's much to discover by meandering through the narrow, cobblestone streets and exploring the lively Plaza Grande and Plaza San Francisco. Continue onto visit the Church of the Society of Jesus (La Compania de Jesus). With its ornate facade and intricately decorated and gold-gilded interior, this is Ecuador’s most impressive church. You'll then travel north of the city for about 45 minutes to visit ‘La Mitad del Mundo’ – a monument commemorating the equator line. The 'Middle of the World' monument was built during the 17th century when a French expedition defined the precise location of the equatorial line. After having a look inside the monument, head across to the Inti Nan local museum, which claims to be located on the true equatorial line. While here, partake in various experiments that seek to prove that you are indeed on the equator. Notes: Due to the high altitude of many of places we visit some people can suffer altitude sickness, regardless of age, gender or fitness. Please see the 'Is This Trip Right For You?' and 'Fitness' sections in the trip notes for detailed information.
Your Independent Experience will come to an end after breakfast today. A departure from your hotel is not included, but it can be arranged when you're booking your experience in Quito. If you're continuing to travel around Ecuador after this trip, then you should consider visiting the spectacular Cloud Forest or perhaps the mighty Cotopaxi Volcano. You can do this by adding one of our Independent Experiences: Cloud Forest Experience - PSCFF Cotopaxi & Quilotoa Experience - PSCOX At Peregrine, we're always looking for ways to improve our trips and your feedback is invaluable to us and to our tour guides. It tells us what we're doing right, what you believe could be done better and what improvements you feel could help future travellers choose and enjoy Peregrine. At the end of your trip, we ask that you to take a few minutes of your time to complete our on-line feedback form. Just go to peregrineadventures.com/tour-feedback for our easy to fill out questionnaire. We’d love to hear what you have to say.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 April 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..