Queensland, known as the 'Sunshine State' is situated in the northeast corner of Australia, is the country's holiday playground attracting visitors all year round. A Queensland holiday would not be complete without incorporating one of the following a trip to the Great Barrier Reef, the Gold and Sunshine Coasts, the world famous wildlife parks and reserves, the Whitsunday Islands and the Daintree Rainforest.
A trip to North Queensland should be high up on your to do list which has a treasure trove of adventure, wildlife, beaches and entertainment. For a more relaxed pace you should explore the idyllic islands of the Whitsundays, sit back and relax whilst enjoying a sailing trip, visit one of the many golden beaches and for those nature lovers there are many remarkable wildlife parks and reserves to visit.
Top 10 Things to do in Queensland
- Discover the reef
- Take a day trip aboard a catamaran to the Great Barrier Reef, where you can dive or snorkel the clear, warm waters. Don't miss Green Island, a beautiful coral cay just 27 kilometres from Cairns.
- Visit the Daintree Forest
- The oldest tropical rainforest still surviving on earth, Daintree is a World Heritage listed site containing the highest number of rare or threatened plant and animal species on the planet.
- Do some Island hopping at the Whitsundays
- The Whitsundays are made up of roughly 160 tropical islands. Enjoy sailing, diving, exploring the reefs, or simply relaxing on thousands of sandy beaches.
- Visit the beaches at the Gold and Sunshine Coasts
- For a real Queensland experience, explore some of the many golden beaches sprawled from the Sunshine to the Gold Coast. Take in the stunning coastlines and enjoy an afternoon on the esplanades.
- Enjoy the thrills on the major theme parks
- Enjoy a day of thrills and spills at Dreamworld, Seaworld, Movieworld or Wet n' Wild.
- Visit the Tambourine Mountains
- A popular scenic drive destination, as the area includes seven national parks featuring a variety of sub-tropical rainforest.
- Exlpore Fraser Island
- This is the world's largest sand island, Fraser Island is an ecological system of giant dunes, forests, streams and freshwater lakes.
- Skyrail to Kuranda
- For a unique view of the rainforest take the scenic Skyrail to Kuranda, an idyllic village nestled among the rainforest above Cairns. After some refreshments and stroll through the markets, return on the Kuranda scenic railway.
- Spend a day at Australia Zoo
- This remarkable zoo offers tourists many unique wildlife experiences and ensures the children have hours of fun and education.
- Visit a Crocodile Farm
- 'Hartley's Crocodile Adventures' is reputedly the best crocodile show in Australia, but the farm, sited under a lush rainforest canopy, hosts other wildlife too such as cassowaries, dingoes, snakes, koalas and lizards.