Iglesia San Agustin or the Church of St. Augustine as it’s commonly known as, is an historic church built in the early 1600s. The Mediterranean influenced Baroque style church is embellished with a columned neoclassical touch and the two intricate looking bell towers give it a distinctly Spanish flavour. Iglesia San Agustin is the second oldest church in Chile and is located in Central Santiago near several other historic churches and palaces.
The elaborate interior consists of three naves and is a continuation of the decorative baroque style with high arched ceilings featuring beautiful tiled murals and intricate decorative fixtures throughout. One of the most intriguing fixtures is the wooden carving of Jesus known as Cristo de Mayo. Legend has it that during the destructive earthquake of 1647, the only item left standing was this statue. The crown of thorns however had slipped from Jesus’ head to around his neck. When it was attempted to replace the crown it is said that the face of Jesus began to bleed and the ground shook. To this day the crown has remained around the neck of the statue. This religious symbol has remained an important focal point of the church.
The church is located just two blocks east of La Moneda Palace. Public transport is available on the Santiago subway Line 1 and accessed via the Universidad de Chile Station at Plaza Libertad approximately two blocks south. From Plaza Libertad continue up Nueva York Avenue which will take you directly to Iglesia San Agustin.