Flight Centre’s Sandy Denize hails from France and has explored all of the Society Islands. She shares her top 5 must-do’s on Huahine Island:
1. Relax and enjoy the peacefulness of Huahine. Made up of two islands in French Polynesia’s Leeward Islands and just a 40 minute flight from Tahiti – Huahine offers beautiful white beaches and is less touristy than the other Society Islands.
2. Visit the ancient maraes - Huahine has more than 200 Polynesian maraes and archaeological sites. These can be explored on your own or through an organised island circle tour.
3. Explore the botanical gardens – Huahine has two of them. Take a picnic, a book and kick back and relax.
4. Walk the Hana Iti grounds. Once an impressive five-star hotel that attracted movie stars and wealthy businessman, the site was destroyed after being hit by a typhoon in the late 1990’s.
5. Take a boat trip and visit the pearl farm in the lagoon – it’s the only one on the island and makes for an interesting few hours. Learn the process of cultivating and harvesting through to production of the magnificent pearls.
Looking for more information on Huahine Island and the Society Islands, or Cheap flights to Tahiti? Contact Flight Centre travel broker Sandy Denize or one of Flight Centre’s 135 Stores nationwide. Phone 0800 24 35 44