Powerful families from European history have hailed from this country before borders were drawn around the modern-day Czech Republic. Stonemasons, stucco workers and tradespeople have left their testatment to fine craftsmanship here too. Outside the bustling finery of Prague other noteworthy Czech sites include:
- Brno – the Czech Republic's second-largest city; it has a historical centre, fine museums and an annual international fireworks festival.
- Ceský Krumlov – a beautiful old town can be found in this South Bohemian town.
- Krkonoše – running along the Czech/Polish border are the country's highest mountains and many popular ski resorts.
- Mutenice wine region – excellent vineyards off the tourist path.
- Karlštejn – about 20 kilometres west of Prague, this town has one of the most-visited castles in the country.
- Pilsen – home to the original Pilsner beer.
This country dishes up a lot in a small area, catering to the active traveller and meandering tourist. Book a flight to the Czech Republic if you're set to go or contact Flight Centre to get tips on making the most of your holiday.