Portugal Retreat: Porto & the Douro Valley
From 07/05/2021 to 06/12/2021
Soak up the sights and sounds of seaside Matosinhos and tuck into a traditional lunch of grilled sardines caught and cooked straight from the Atlantic.
Let the emotion of Portugal’s soul music wash over you during an intimate Fado performance in a small local theatre in Porto.
Get a true taste for the region with a host-led sampling session of the city’s signature fortified wine after exploring Porto’s narrow lanes and charming buildings.
Navigate curved cliffs dotted with terraced vineyards with a day trip to the Douro Valley, washing down a traditional lunch with the reds of small wineries.
Make the most of the comfort and convenience of your unpack-once, historic centre accommodation in Porto.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 2.
Dinners Included: 1.
Comfortable centrally located hotel (3 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Porto - Welcome Dinner.
Porto - Orientation Walk with your Host.
Porto - Fado Show.
Porto - Port Tasting.
Matosinhos - Traditional Local Lunch.
Matosinhos - Day Trip to Fishing Village.
Douro Valley - Wine Tasting & Lunch.
Douro Valley - Day Trip.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Porto Welcome to your Intrepid Retreats experience here in Portugal. There are few European cities that do feel like a welcome, slow retreat from the chaos of everyday life, but Porto is one of them. This romantic city is tiered up the north bank of a Douro River crossed by majestic bridges, with a reconstructed and restored medieval waterfront setting of cobbled streets, merchants’ houses, cafes and old-town tascas. Begin your getaway with a welcome meeting at the hotel at 3 pm, when you’ll meet your host and get a better idea of the upcoming itinerary. Your home base for the next few days is right in the historic heart of the city, and you can look over its surrounds of churches, museums, and one of the city’s most popular late-night streets from its rooftop. Take an orientation walk with your host in the afternoon to get your city bearings, then enjoy an included dinner to get a taste of the city and, of course, get your host to point out some port to try.
Day 2 - Matosinhos / Porto There so much life around the riverside that you can easily forget that the Atlantic is just a short train ride away. Hop on the train this morning and you’ll be in Matosinhos, known for seafood and surf. Pass old seaside fortifications on your way to the market, where the catches of Porto’s deep-sea fishermen are on display. If you were buying, the friendly stallholders are always willing to point out the freshest fish and how best to eat it. Here you’ll enjoy a traditional lunch, cooked with the seafood mastery of generations. A time-honoured dish is grilled sardines, new potatoes drizzled with olive oil, and dried, salted cod (bacalhau). Wash it all down with a refreshing vinho verde (green – as in young – wine) from the Minho Valley in the country’s north. Return to Porto this afternoon, then rejoin the group in the evening for a night of Fado and port. Soak up this soul music that originated in Africa as you watch an intimate performance in small local theatre. Afterwards your host will take you on a tasting of the city's namesake drop.
Day 3 - Douro Valley / Porto The Douro River snakes its way from central Spain to rush out into the Atlantic at Porto, and its waters bring fertile life to the mountains and valleys that it cuts through. The laboriously terraced hillsides of the Douro Valley are strewn with vineyards that produce the grapes not only for port, but lighter reds too. Take a full day to explore the valley to the villages of Sabrosa and sleepy Pinhao, travelling along the roads that curl up cliffs and looking out across the beautiful landscape of contoured cliffs and the river flowing relentlessly below. Here you’ll drop into two wineries, where you’ll learn about how this iconic tipple is produced, and enjoy some tastings to discover the depth of this regional wine. Continue your tour through the flavours of the valley with lunch at a traditional restaurant, then return to Porto in the late afternoon for a free final evening. Pop your head into one of the independent bookshops scattered around the city, take a cruise on the river, or pull up a chair in one of Porto's atmospheric tavernas and snack on grilled octopus.
Day 4 - Porto Your Intrepid Retreat comes to an end this morning after breakfast. With so much to see and do we recommend you extend your time in this fascinating city. Your host will be able to advise on activities.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 March 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans