Greece Retreat: Syros Island
From 06/05/2021 to 27/09/2021
Bring the history and stories of Ancient Greece to life with the insider knowledge of a local host on a visit to the world-famous Acropolis.
Uncover stunning views and the local way of life with hikes through the island’s charming hilltop villages, from the fortress-like Ano Syros to the cave dwellings of ancient philosophers.
Taste the traditional flavours of the island with a dinner as you watch a Syros sunset over the Aegean and Rembetika music floats around you.
Soak up the atmosphere of Mykonos on a day trip, and enjoy the ability to escape its crowds back on secluded Syros.
Learn the secrets behind Syros sweets at a family-run loukoumia workshop, discovering the island’s history and tradition in the flavours of rose, mastic and bergamot.
Breakfasts Included: 4.
Dinners Included: 1.
Family-run hotel (4 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Athens - Acropolis Visit.
Syros - Loukoumia Workshop Visit.
Syros - Morning Hike to Ano Syros.
Syros - Azolimnos Beach Excursion.
Syros - Sunset Village Dinner.
Mykonos - Day Trip.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Athens / Syros Island Welcome to Athens! Meet your local host at 10 am and store your luggage at the hotel, ready for an exploration of the famous Acropolis, one of the Western world's most important historical structures. Ascend the heights of this sacred rock via the towering Propylaia entrance, and hear the history and stories from your host as you encounter the Parthenon – the greatest Doric temple of the ancient world. After stepping back 2500 years, jump on taxis to the port of Piraeus, then climb aboard a scenic ferry ride to Syros Island (approximately 4 hours). Sitting in the heart of the Cyclades, Syros is known for its relaxed atmosphere and neo-classical architecture. Arrive this evening and transfer to your conveniently located, family-run hotel. With four nights here you'll help support a local business at an important time, so unpack and settle in.
Day 2 - Ano Syros / Syros Island Get ready for a day of island exploration with an included breakfast this morning. Syros is one of the Aegean's most underrated islands and offers a rare opportunity to see the isles as the Greeks do. Join your host and take a morning walk through the fortress-like village of Ano Syros, and explore the hilltop town’s stone archways and narrow alleyways as you keep an ear open for traditional Rembetiko music floating out of the family-run tavernas. Take in stunning views of the Aegean as you look across the island’s typical whitewashed houses, farms, terraced fields and gorgeous sandy beaches. Head back to Ermoupoli town for a wander past well preserved neoclassical mansions and 19th-century tenement blocks with your host. Syros is a great place for those with a sweet tooth, so stop at a traditional loukoumi workshop to meet the family who run it, learn how these multi-coloured fruit-flavoured jellies (also called Greek Delight) are made, and maybe sample some chalvadopita (hazelnut, almond or honey-filled wafers) too. Take the rest of the day and maybe seek out some of the savory flavours of the island, whose cuisine takes influences from across the Aegean and Mediterranean.
Day 3 - Azolimnos Beach / Syros Island This wouldn’t be an island getaway without some serious beach time, so make this a relaxing, rejuvenating day. Outside of Ermoupoli are many small tranquil coves, like south at the small village of Azolimnos that boasts crystal clear waters for swimming in. There are dive centres that run underwater trips and tavernas strewn along the shore for seafood and wine. Stroll around the village and pop your head into the small church, while inland is the relaxing area of Manna with houses with bougainvillea gardens, greenhouses and vineyards. In the evening, take taxis to a taverna to a remotely located village in the rugged northern part of the island to sample delicious syrian specialities (maybe Aetopita, fish and vegetable pie, or lachanodolma, cabbage leaves stuffed with rice) during an included meal, all while watching the sun set over the Aegean Sea.
Day 4 - Mykonos Island / Syros Island After breakfast this morning you’ll take a trip across the water to an island packed with beauty and glamour, with a history of around 5000 years and said to be named after Apollo's grandson – Mykonos. You will board the 30-minute ferry at 9 am and return at 2 pm. This will give you a few hours on the island, where white-washed architecture clings to the labyrinth of narrow streets and laneways in the town's old area. Browse flower-lined paths past age-old churches and chic galleries and boutiques. Make your way to secluded, sandy beaches or enjoy a cocktail at one tavernas with colourful wooden balconies that hang precariously over the sea. Return to Syros with a free afternoon to further explore the island as you like. If you’re still feeling like a walk, discover abandoned windmills, ancient ruins and charming villages on a network of stone-paved tracks that crisscross the island, where scents of fennel, thyme and wild olives drift through the air. Perhaps head to the various archaeological sites on the island, or you might prefer to simply hole up on a beach for the rest of the day.
Day 5 - Syros Island / Athens There is more free time to explore Syros this morning, before saying farewell and boarding the ferry back to Athens, where you will be taken back to our centrally located hotel, arriving in the late evening.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 March 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans