Italy Retreat: The Veneto
From 21/05/2021 to 20/12/2021
Get a true taste of Veneto as you explore the terraced vineyards and rolling hills of the home of Prosecco, supporting local wineries and sampling on some of the world’s best bubbly.
Take advantage of a whole day to explore the maze of alleyways, canals and lagoon islands of Venice.
Make the most of your host's local knowledge with a backstreets walking tour of Venice, snacking on cicchetti and sipping on vino in a typical community osteria.
See the canals of Treviso and the beauty of the Sile River from the saddle with a rejuvenating morning bike ride.
Enjoy the sights and bites from gelato to tiramisu of historic Treviso, and enjoy the comfort and ease of returning to the same accommodation right in the heart of the city.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 1.
Comfortable hotel (3 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Treviso - Orientation Walk with your Host.
Venice - Cicchetti & Wine Tour Urban Adventure.
Venice - Off-The-Beaten-Track Walking Tour with your Host.
Venice - Day Trip.
Prosecco Hills - Produce Tasting at Winery.
Prosecco Hills - Day Trip.
Prosecco Hills - Winery Visits & Prosecco Tastings.
Treviso - Bike Ride along Sile River.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Treviso Welcome to Treviso, a beautiful canalled city that lies north of its more famous watery neighbour and offers a sense of real Veneto life. You’ll be based in the historic city centre of Treviso for the next four days, so unpack, settle in, then meet your local host in the hotel lobby in the early afternoon for a welcome meeting. Take an orientation walk with your host to get your bearings in Treviso. Afterwards you can choose to join your host and group and get to know each other better over an optional dinner. Either way, your host can point out the best places to try tiramisu for dessert, after all Treviso is where it was born!
Day 2 - Venice / Treviso Catch a local train to Venice (approximately 25 minutes) after breakfast this morning for a whole day to explore this watery wonderland of bridges, piazzas, towers, churches, canals and gondolas. Take a brief orientation walk with your host to get your bearings in this maze of a city, then enjoy some free time to see the sights on your list. There’s so much that it’s best to pick just a few – be mindful of crowds and queues if picking sites like St Mark’s Basilica and Doge Palace, or maybe head to a district like Cannaregio to see a different side to the city. You’ll meet back up with the group later today for a Venetian walk down the hidden calli and across the ponti that takes full advantage of your host’s insider local knowledge of the secret spots. Discover the true food and wine traditions of the city with a tasting of cicchetti (Venetian tapas) and a glass of house wine at a typical Venetian osteria (local tavern) that’s 100 per cent local owned. It’s the perfect way to find the spirit of the city and wrap up the day. Return to Treviso by train to relax back in your comfortable hotel.
Day 3 - Prosecco Hills / Treviso After breakfast this morning, head out north to explore the rolling green hills dotted with borghi (villages), strewn with terraced vineyards, and topped with terracotta coloured villas that make up the heartland of Prosecco. This roughly topographied region is wedged between the Adriatic and the Dolomites, and has been granted world heritage status. Head towards the village of Valdobbiadene, which lends its name to the status that confirms the prosecco produced here conforms to the strictest standards (Conegliano Valdobbiadene Superiore, also DOCG). Today you’ll help support wineries at a time when wine exports have taken a significant hit. You'll visit two vineyards along the so-called ‘Strada del Vino di Prosecco’, where you can learn more about the vineyards, the Glera grape and, of course, taste Proseccos from Brut to Dry – with a light lunch of local meats and cheese alongside. Return to Treviso in the late afternoon for a free evening. Wander past the medieval towers, walk along the Venetian Walls, or stand on the staircase of Palazzo dei Trecento overlooking the main square with a gelato voted as some of the best in the country.
Day 4 - Sile River / Treviso Fuel up with breakfast for a morning bike ride along the beautiful Sile River today (approximately 20 kilometres return). Treviso might be in the countryside, but its heart still flows with water. The canals here are still home to fish and fowl, power pretty watermills, and as you cycle from the Gothic 15th-century townhouses to the green-filled banks further out, you’ll understand why Treviso is called “The Little Venice of the Mainland”. Your Veneto trip comes to an end after this morning’s ride (approximately 12 pm), when you’re free to join your host for an optional lunch, or continue to your onward connection.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 March 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans