Kakadu's Ancient Secrets
From 06/05/2021 to 11/10/2021
Litchfield National ParkYellow Water Billabong CruiseKakadu National ParkUbirr Rock Art SiteNourlangie Rock Art SiteAboriginal Cultural ExperienceKatherine Gorge CruiseKatherine Gorge Sunset Dinner CruiseSwim at Edith FallsNitmiluk National ParkAdelaide River.
Hand-picked accommodation, selected to immerse you in your destinationMost meals, including Local Dining Experiences.
See Dining tab belowComplimentary refreshments throughout the journeyTravel by bespoke 4WD vehicle with reclining seats, WiFi and air-conditioningA maximum of 20 guests to share your journeyExpert Driver Guide escortsAll entrance and National Park feesSustainable Travel Kit, including refillable water bottle and backpackExclusive immersive activities and interaction with local communitiesBuilt-in leisure time, to explore destinations as you wishAirport transfers (see Flight Information below).
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Welcome to Darwin! This morning meet your Journey Director and board your luxury 4WD vehicle to begin your journey of discovery in the Top End. Travel across the Finniss River to Litchfield National Park. You'll visit tumbling Florence Falls and you'll also enjoy a swim to cool off at Wangi Falls, surrounded by tropical monsoon rainforest and hear about its importance in Aboriginal custom before stopping for lunch. Get ready for a cross-country journey via the unsealed Marrakai Track (seasonally accessible), through cattle stations and back country to The Mary River region. You'll arrive at Wildman Wilderness Lodge, where you'll stay in private permanent safari tents. Situated in the Mary River Wetlands and renowned for its incredible wildlife, the property seamlessly combines comfort and chic with the beauty of the surrounding landscape. Enjoy a beverage while the sun sets over the floodplains and after dinner maybe sit back with a nightcap by the fire pit.
Day 2 - Wake up to the evocative sounds of the floodplains. Next stop is Australia's largest National Park - Kakadu. World Heritage listed, as both a cultural and natural sanctuary, Kakadu National Park is an Australian icon. Join your Journey Director on a walk at Kakadu's stunning Ubirr rock art site. You'll see ancient rock art and take a walk to discover remarkable views over the surrounding wetlands and escarpments from the fantastic vantage point, Nadab lookout. After lunch there's a chance to take to the air an optional scenic flight over Kakadu. One of the best ways to experience the enormity of this wonderful National Park. The famous Yellow Waters Billabong boat cruise will be a highlight of your journey. You will see a myriad of different bird species, spot estuarine crocodiles and simply enjoy the stunning billabong and floodplains system. Later you will check in to your hotel where the buildings are shaped to represent a crocodile - the region's most famous resident! Relax and unwind with a refreshing dip in the hotel's shaded outdoor pool or even wander through the on-site art gallery before enjoying a delicious dinner with wine.
Day 3 - This morning you'll visit Nourlangie to see its fascinating Aboriginal rock art for yourself. You'll also hear first-hand from your Journey Director a detailed interpretation of the art and the rich Aboriginal culture as you explore the various outdoor 'galleries' with art that dates back some 20,000 years. You will continue driving through the ancient lands of Kakadu National Park through to the town of Katherine and further on to Nitmiluk National Park. Indulge in five-star luxury at Cicada Lodge, a stunning architect designed eco-lodge surrounded by nature, where each room has a private balcony that opens to the glories of Nitmiluk National Park. Cool off from the heat of the day while enjoy a swim in the pool as the sunsets before a beautiful dinner.
Day 4 - Today immerse yourself as you meet Manual Pamkal who will welcome you with a traditional welcoming tune on the didgeridoo. Manual was born and raised immersed in his rich traditional culture. He'll share with you stories of growing up in the bush and teach you the fine art of rarrk painting using a special brush from a reed called Julk. Call up the inner artist within you and paint your own masterpiece to take home! You will enjoy lunch back on the deck of Cicada Lodge overlooking this natural surrounding before having a free afternoon to relax. This evening indulge on a special sunset dinner cruise along Katherine River. You'll marvel at the gorges while you spot wildlife and learn about the history and culture of the local Jawoyn people. Enjoy the peaceful ambiance during the candle-lit three course dinner cook on board your boat.
Day 5 - Enjoy a lay in or get up early to enjoy the National Park completely immersed in the mystical morning light. Travel north along the Stuart Highway stopping at the gorgeous Edith Falls the way for a relaxing dip and some lunch. Continue to Adelaide River War Cemetery. During WWII, Adelaide River was the headquarters to a large military base and a large cemetery was created especially for those who gave their lives in the service and defence of their country. Your Inspiring Journey concludes on arrival in Darwin.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 March 2021 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 27 February 2021 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans