Southern Capitals City Meets Bush
From 31/08/2021 to 25/09/2021
CITY TOUR in MelbourneORIENTATION of Canberra and Beechworth.
VISIT Parliament House, the Australian War Memorial, a sheep farm.
Connect with Locals Visit Gold Creek Station for an exclusive Aussie BBQ 'Be My Guest' lunch and sheep farm experience with the Starr family (Day 1).
Dive into Culture Commemorate the sacrifices made by members of the armed forces of Australia who fought and died in wars.
(Day 1)Local Specialist For included sightseeing in Canberra.
4 breakfasts1 lunch (Connect With Locals)1 dinnerAudio Headsets for flexible sightseeingDaily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening mealsLuxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)Cherry-picked hotels all tried and trustedHandcrafted HighlightsOptional Experiences and free timeAll porterage and local charges includedMust-see sightseeing and surprise extrasAn expert Travel Director and separate Driver, Driver Guide only on Mini-StaysAll hotel tips, charges and local taxesAirport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holidayVIP entry to many sights.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Journey through Australia's Southern Highlands bound for Canberra, purpose-built with the goal of creating the finest capital in the world. Stop at historic Berrima, famous for its gaol and early colonial architecture, then 'Connect With Locals' at Gold Creek Station, where you'll meet sheep farmer, Craig Starr, a 'Local Specialist'. Gain a deeper understanding of life on the farm before joining the Starr family for a Welcome Reception and 'Be My Guest' Aussie barbecue lunch. On arrival in Australia's modern capital, you'll embark on a tour through Parliament House with a 'Local Specialist'. Later, 'Dive Into Culture' and visit the Australian War Memorial to pay tribute to the brave Australian servicemen and women who have lost their lives in the past century in armed conflicts. Stay to hear an evocative lament, then join your Travel Director and fellow travellers for dinner.
Day 2 - Admire a city designed for a young nation as you ascend to the summit of Mt. Ainslie for panoramic views of Canberra with its man-made Lake Burley Griffin, named in honour of the Walter Burley Griffin, the American architect from Chicago who designed Canberra. Cross the mighty Murray into Victoria and visit its best-preserved gold rush town, historic Beechworth. Delve into the history of Australia's heady gold rush days after a brief orientation, with free time thereafter to explore its antique shops, galleries, the museum and the legendary Beechworth Bakery, self-proclaimed as 'Australia's Greatest Bakery'. You'll overnight in the nearby cathedral town of Wangaratta.
Day 3 - Enjoy a leisurely breakfast then journey through Glenrowan and Ned Kelly country to cosmopolitan Melbourne for a city sightseeing tour, where you'll discover why Melbourne is frequently touted as one of the world's most liveable cities. Spend the evening at leisure immersing yourself in this capital of cool, reflected in its elegant arcades, grand civic buildings and stylish shopping and dining options lining the banks of the Yarra.
Day 4 - Enjoy a full day to connect with Melbourne's sophisticated cityscape. Wander the narrow lanes in search of edgy street art or consider an Optional Experience touring the Great Ocean Road past lush forests and golden beaches to see such highlights as the Bay of Islands, London Bridge and of course the Twelve Apostles, which rise from the crashing waves of the Southern Ocean. Or you could visit Summerland Beach on Phillip Island to experience the famous Penguin Parade. As the sun sets, watch as they emerge from the sea and waddle across the sand to their dune burrows. On your last evening in Melbourne, embrace your inner gourmand and seek out one of Melbourne's laneway restaurants to sample the cuisine for which the city is so famous.
Day 5 - Your holiday concludes this morning after breakfast. You will be transferred to Melbourne Airport for your onward flight (flights anytime).
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 21 May 2021 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 16 May 2021 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans