Essence of Austria
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Munich
The Bavarian capital of Munich is where we’ll begin our journey through this picturesque and historic country. After meeting our Tour Leader and fellow travellers at the hotel, we’ll clink glasses over a sumptuous welcome dinner. Accommodation: Awa Munich Hotel (or similar)
Day 2 - Munich – Tegernsee – Zell am See
After this morning’s breakfast, we’ll move on to the picturesque lakeside town of Tegernsee and get better acquainted with the Alpine lake on a scenic boat trip. Our next stop will be the village of Leeberghof, where we’ll have some free time to admire the beautiful views and enjoy lunch at our leisure. We’ll end our day in Zell am See, which is filled with marvellous alpine landscapes and comes complete with another shimmering blue lake. This evening is free to explore the multiple restaurants in town or relax at your leisure back at the hotel. Accommodation: Hotel Steinerwirt 1493 (or similar)
Day 3 - Zell am See
Our day will begin by rolling up our sleeves for an included cookery class. A local expert will demonstrate how to make Austrian delicacies kaspressknödel (cheese dumplings) and apple strudel using fresh farm produce. And when we’ve learnt the tricks of the trade, we’ll try our hand at making the delicious treats ourselves – with the chance to taste the fruits of our labour for lunch. Following that, we’ll have the afternoon to delve deeper into Zell am See. We recommend taking the impressive cable car to the summit of Mt Schmittenhöhe or enjoying some boutique shopping in town. The evening is yours to spend at your leisure relaxing at our hotel or dining at a local restaurant to sample the region’s local delicacies. Accommodation: Hotel Steinerwirt 1493 (or similar)
Day 4 - Zell am See – Berchtesgaden – Salzburg
Today, we’ll head back over the border into Germany for a stop at Berchtesgaden. While we’re here, we’ll visit Hitler’s famous Eagle’s Nest, which is perched high at the top of a mountain peak overlooking the quaint Bavarian town. After wandering the very rooms where Hitler and other Nazi party officials entertained foreign diplomats and held banquets, we’ll travel back down the mountain towards our next stop: Salzburg. Nestled below steep hills on the banks of the Salzach River – Salzburg is a charming city with many medieval delights to uncover. At your leisure, enjoy the evening exploring the Baroque buildings and array of restaurants within the romantic Altstadt (Old Town). Accommodation: ACHAT Plaza Zum Hirschen Salzburg (or similar)
Day 5 - Salzburg
Today you’ll be free to experience the fairytale atmosphere of Salzburg and explore its spectacular Baroque sights at your own pace. The birthplace of Mozart, the impressive Mirabell Palace and Gardens, Salzburg Cathedral and St Peter’s Abbey are all great places to start! This evening, we’ll come together to enjoy a group dinner and Mozart concert at the lofty Salzburg Fortress. Accommodation: ACHAT Plaza Zum Hirschen Salzburg (or similar)
Day 6 - Salzburg – SchafbergBahn – Tauplitz
Today we’ll board an old-fashioned cogwheel train and take the SchafbergBahn up to the top of the Schafberg mountain – taking in some fantastic views of the Salzkammergut region along the way. Then, it’s on to a quaint local farm – where traditional cheeses are made. After enjoying a cheese tasting session we’ll continue to the picture-perfect ski resort town of Tauplitz. Tonight, we’ll enjoy at our leisure relaxing at the hotel. Accommodation: Hotel Der Seebacherhof (or similar)
Day 7 - Tauplitz – Admont – Amstetten – Wachau
After our breakfast in idyllic Tauplitz our road will take us to Admont Abbey: the oldest remaining monastery in Styria. We’ll take some time to explore the mesmerising Baroque architecture, art and breathtaking monastic library. Our next stop will be the village of Admont where we’ll have some free time to savour lunch at our leisure. Exploring is thirsty work – so it’s only fitting that our next stop in Amstetten will be a local distillery! While we’re here, we’ll gain an insight into the cider-making process, and – of course – have a chance to taste it for ourselves. Tonight, we’ll dine in the beautiful Wachau Valley for our final dinner together. Accommodation: Hotel Kirchenwirt (or similar)
Day 8 - Wachau – Tulln an der Donau – Vienna
Our final day together will see us travelling to one of the oldest wine-growing villages in Lower Austria – where we’ll savour a local wine tasting session. After that, we’ll move on to Tulln an der Donau, a historic town teeming with parks and gardens, where you’ll be free to lunch where you choose. Then: our tour will come to a close in buzzing Vienna, with its captivating blend of Baroque architecture, imperial palaces and musical masterpieces.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 08 December 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..