Secrets of Greece Including Corfu
From 11/04/2021 to 13/10/2021
3 dinners (including Be My Guest).
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Return ferry to Corfu.
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Welcome to Athens Venture back to a time when great philosophers roamed the halls of the Agora and gods competed for mythical supremacy. Your journey delving into the treasures of Greece begins in its vibrant capital, which you will have an opportunity to explore after being transferred to your hotel. Kick off your in-depth discovery of what was once the 'Cradle of Western Civilisation' this evening, when you meet your Travel Director and travel companions for a Welcome Reception.
Day 2 - Journey to Epidaurus and Nafplion We journey to a land of legends this morning. Our leisurely drive takes us to the scenic northeast Peloponnese and past the impressive Corinth Canal, which straddles two gulfs. Our first stop is the ancient Theatre of Epidaurus and the Sanctuary of Asclepius, God of Medicine, whose snake-entwined staff remains the symbol of medicine to this day. Take to the stage and hear first-hand the magnificent acoustics that would entertain over 14,000 spectators, then spend the rest of the day exploring the Venetian-inspired seaport of Nafplion. Amble past its Neoclassical mansions or enjoy a traditional meal against the scenic backdrop of the bay.
Day 3 - A Day Exploring Mycenae We continue our journey inland and visit Mycenae - its ruins remain as a testament of what was once an important palatial centre of the late Bronze Age in Greece. Stroll through the Lion Gate and Agamemnon's Royal Palace, before seeing the tomb of this fearless Greek leader who commanded the Greeks in their battles against Trojan forces. This afternoon, we Dive Into Culture and sample delicious local vintages, gaining insights into wine production in the Nemea region. We'll have free time to stroll through the seaside retreat of Nafplion with a delicious Greek ice cream in hand.
Day 4 - Onwards to Ancient Olympia Crossing the Peloponnese, we head towards the famous village of Olympia, where sacrifices were once made to the gods, and athletes competed for supremacy in the ancient Olympic Games. Visit the ruins of temples, the museum and the stadium imagining agile runners racing in honour of Zeus. This evening, we Connect With Locals joining the Karambellas family on their olive and wine farm for a traditional Be My Guest experience including dinner and dancing.
Day 5 - Off to Nikopolis and Sail to Corfu We leave the Peninsula and return to mainland Greece, continuing north past Amphilochia and Preveza, before arriving in Nikopolis to see where the Battle of Actium took place. Boarding a ferry, we cross to the beautiful island of Corfu where we have some time at leisure to admire its splendid architecture, arcades and Spianada, one of the largest and most impressive squares in Greece.
Day 6 - A Day to Discover Amazing Corfu Begin your day with an orientation tour of the island, followed by a visit to the Venetian Castle and the Monastery of Palaiokastritsa to meet the friendly Orthodox Monks who share their day-to-day life with visitors. Later, we stop at the Phaeacian-styled Achilleion Palace, built by Elizabeth 'Sissi' Empress of Austria and Hungary, who so admired Greece and its culture that she decided to build an enchanting summer retreat here. Stroll through its Imperial Gardens and enjoy magnificent views of the lush valley and glistening Ionian Sea beyond before returning to your hotel for an evening on your own terms.
Day 7 - Continue on to Lakeside Ioannina We bid farewell to island living on Corfu and sail back to the mainland, continuing to the lively lakeside city of Ioannina, where we spend the rest of the day at leisure. Stroll along the tranquil lakeshore and through the Old Town to admire its Ottoman and Byzantine treasures, including the imposing castle that overlooks Lake Pamvotis.
Day 8 - Journey to Meteora and Mount Pelion The delicious flavours of Metsovone cheese and wine provide a fitting start to our day. We continue to Kalambaka and admire the famous Byzantine Monasteries of Meteora that stand almost impossibly perched atop colossal boulders. Pass the seaside town of Volos before arriving into Portaria.
Day 9 - Admire Thermopylae, Delphi and on to Galaxidi Traversing the peaks of Parnassos and Giona, we stop in Thermopylae, the mythical entrance to Hades and the site where Leonidas and his 300 Spartans fought bravely against the invading Persians. Join a Local Specialist for a guided visit to Delphi, the seat of the most important oracle in the classical world. Walk the Sacred Way to the 4th-century Temple of Apollo and ramble through what remains of this ancient sanctuary, once the site of the Pythian Games, a precursor of the modern Olympics. The seaside village of Galaxidi is our final stop for the day.
Day 10 - Return to Athens We return to cosmopolitan Athens for a day of delving into antiquity, coming face-to-face with the treasures of Ancient Greece. We ascend to the Acropolis and join a Local Specialist for a sightseeing tour with magnificent views of Athena's Parthenon, the Agora, Royal Palace and Temple of Zeus. See Hadrian's Arch, built to celebrate the arrival of the Roman Emperor Hadrian, and view the stadium where the first modern Olympics took place in 1896. On our final evening together, we join our fellow travellers for a Farewell Dinner to celebrate the millennia and miles explored together on this epic voyage of discovery.
Day 11 - Farewell Athens We bid farewell to Athens and newfound friends as we prepare to depart Greece, or join a 3-day Santorini Extension. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers. Sightseeing Highlights Explore Nafplion, Olympia, Meteora, Delphi and Athens with a Local Specialist Discover Corfu, Metsovo, Meteora and Galaxidi Visit the Theatre at Epidaurus, the Olympic Stadium in Olympia, the island of Corfu, the monastery of Palaiokastritsa and Achilleon Palace, the towns of Ioannina and Metsovo, the rock monasteries in Meteora, Mount Pelion region, the home of the Oracle at Delphi, the port town of Galaxidi and the Acropolis in Athens View the Sanctuary of Asclepius at Epidaurus and the Parthenon, Agora, Royal Palace and Temple of Zeus in Athens See the Corinth Canal, the Lion Gate and Agamemnon's Palace at Mycenae
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..