Best of Germany
From 30/03/2022 to 23/10/2022
1 lunch (Be My Guest).
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Welcome to Frankfurt Welcome to Frankfurt and savour an opportunity to see the sights on your own before meeting your Travel Director this afternoon for an orientation of the medieval R?merplatz and dynamic financial district. This evening, we enjoy a Welcome Reception with our fellow travellers, including a light meal and welcome drink to kick off our discovery of the best of Germany.
Day 2 - Cruise along the Rhine and Journey to Cologne and D?sseldorf Resist the alluring calls of Lorelei and board your leisurely cruise along the Rhine. Glide past vineyard-clad hills, stopping to Connect With Locals over lunch at a Be My Guest experience in a 13th-century castle perched high above the river valley. Share stories of knights and feuding lords and ladies over lunch before continuing to Cologne, where we'll view the Gothic spires of its magnificent cathedral during our orientation of the city, then continue to D?sseldorf.
Day 3 - Onwards to the Port City of Hamburg Journey through the lush green landscape of Lower Saxony as we make our way to the international trade centre of Hamburg, where we'll join our Travel Director for an orientation tour of the city's iconic sights. Spend the rest of the day at leisure exploring the city's seafaring heritage. Wander along the trendy M?nckebergstrasse, visit one of the city's brewhouses or consider a guided cruise along the city's waterways and discover why Hamburg is called Germany's 'Gateway to the World'. Tonight, we will dine at our hotel.
Day 4 - Journey to Berlin Follow the picturesque Elbe Valley from Hamburg, crossing the former 'Iron Curtain' to the historic city of Berlin, whose once-turbulent history has shaped its rebirth as a charismatic capital city. Join your Local Specialist to explore the iconic landmarks of a unified Berlin. See the neo-Renaissance Reichstag, Tiergarten, Brandenburg Gate and Unter den Linden Boulevard. Enjoy some time at leisure this afternoon to explore the city on your terms.
Day 5 - Discover the Grit and Glamour of Berlin Ascend the iconic Berlin TV Tower for 360? views of the city and Spree River. You'll learn how this landmark changed from being a symbol of the communist regime of East Germany to a symbol of a reunited Berlin before enjoying some time this afternoon to explore Berlin your way. You could choose to join an Optional Experience to delve into the secrets of Berlin's past, including a visit to the site of Checkpoint Charlie.
Day 6 - Off to Dresden A short drive south brings us to Dresden, the 'Florence on the Elbe', where we'll hear about the city's restoration following its devastation during World War II as you admire its beautiful Baroque fa?ades. See the Semper Opera, Zwinger Palace and the fully reconstructed Frauenkirche. Consider delving into the treasures of Dresden, joining an Optional Experience to explore this elegant city.
Day 7 - Venture to Historic Nuremberg Visit the village of M?dlareuth, which inherited the moniker of 'Little Berlin' due to its wall separating 'east' and 'west'. Gain insights into a divided Germany at its open-air museum and see a section of the original wall with its security features. This afternoon, arrive in the Bavarian city of Nuremberg, once the unofficial capital of the Holy Roman Empire and today the economic, social and cultural capital of Franconia. During your orientation see the mighty castle ramparts and stand in the Hauptmarkt main square which is dominated by the impressive Frauenkirche, a great example of the Gothic brick-style architecture of the region. Spend the rest of your evening at leisure indulging in grilled n?rnberger and sauerkraut.
Day 8 - Continue to Medieval Rothenburg and Munich Stroll through the narrow lanes of Rothenburg - its beautiful medieval centre seemingly frozen in time and encircled by a fortified town wall that remains intact after centuries. Admire the beautiful market square, lined with half-timbered houses, and the Old Town Hall before following part of the Romantic Road through villages and countryside to Munich, before checking in to your hotel.
Day 9 - Explore Munich Today is yours to immerse yourself in the diversity and splendour of Munich. Enjoy an orientation tour of the city's landmarks and see the Wittelsbach Royal Family Residenz and Marienplatz, home to the Town Hall Glockenspiel. Explore the museums, history and perhaps even beer halls of this capital of Bavaria.
Day 10 - Admire Neuschwanstein Castle and the Black Forest Snap your fingers and be transported to a land of fables and folklore. This morning, we tread in the footsteps of shy King Ludwig II visiting his Neuschwanstein Castle, built as a retreat for the king to withdraw from public life. We continue through the magical countryside to the Black Forest, whose mystical landscape inspired fantasy and fiction from the famous Brothers Grimm. This evening, we dine at our Stays With Stories accommodation, Hofgut Sternen, a historic Black Forest style inn at the foot of the romantic Ravennaschlucht (Ravenna Gorge). You'll hear stories of Marie Antoinette's stay here as she travelled to Paris in 1770 to marry the French King Louis XVI.
Day 11 - On to Heidelberg and Frankfurt Witness the centuries-old craft of cuckoo clock making as you Dive Into Culture. Then view the ruins of Heidelberg Castle, one of the most important Renaissance structures north of the Alps, as well as the Baroque-style Old Town with its bustling market squares and colourful fa?ades. Spend the rest of the afternoon finishing up some last-minute shopping before continuing on to Frankfurt. Tonight we enjoy a Farewell Dinner with our newfound friends, reminiscing over the iconic and unexpected highlights of our trip.
Day 12 - Farewell Germany After breakfast, we say a fond farewell after a memorable holiday. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers. Sightseeing Highlights Explore Berlin with a Local Specialist Discover Frankfurt, Cologne, Hamburg, Dresden, Nuremberg, Rothenburg, Munich and Heidelberg Visit the Berlin TV Tower, M?dlareuth Open Air Museum and Neuschwanstein Castle View Cologne Cathedral and Heidelberg Castle See the Lorelei Rock and the Bavarian Alps Scenic Cruise along the Rhine River
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 06 December 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..