Great Italian Cities with Oberammergau
From 06/05/2022 to 28/09/2022
5 dinners (including Be My Guest).
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Welcome to Rome You're in for a bellissimo journey through the spectacular cities of Italy, which kicks off in the 'Eternal City' of Rome. Join your travel companions and Travel Director for a memorable Welcome Reception. Your introduction to la dolce vita begins with a short walk this evening to see the timeless Roman Colosseum and the ancient centre of Rome - the Forum.
Day 2 - Explore Ancient Rome and the Vatican City We embark on a very special included Dive Into Culture sightseeing tour with our Local Specialist at the Vatican this morning. Skip the queue and wander through its Museums and the Sistine Chapel, admiring the artistry of great masters and walking in the footsteps of popes who have found peace within its beautiful green landscapes for centuries. Visit St Peter's Basilica before continuing to the Pontifical Villas of Castel Gandolfo, where you'll enjoy a tour of its gardens and lunch in its beautiful surrounds before returning to Rome.
Day 3 - Rome Your Way Enjoy a full free day to explore Rome your way or consider an Optional Experience delving into the tragic history of Pompeii when you explore a Roman city frozen in time by the devastating eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Your Local Specialist will bring ancient Roman history to life before you return to Rome, passing the Abbey of Montecassino, the site of an epic battle in 1944.
Day 4 - Admire Assisi and on to Florence Journey north to the birthplace of St. Francis of Assisi where your Local Specialist will take you to the Basilica of St. Francis, the final resting place of this famous saint where we will see Giotto's enchanting frescoes. Later we continue our journey through the scenic Tuscan countryside to Florence.
Day 5 - Discover Renaissance Florence Enjoy a leisurely encounter with the artistic and architectural marvels of Florence during your walking tour with a Local Specialist. Visit the striking Piazza della Signoria with its impressive sculptures and palazzi. Amble through the charming cobblestone lanes to the multi-coloured marble Duomo and Baptistery, before admiring the scenic view of the Ponte Vecchio straddling the Arno River. Learn about the quality and workmanship of two of this city's historic industries at demonstrations of Florentine leathercraft and 18-carat gold. Spend the rest of the afternoon sauntering through the historic centre of Florence, shopping for high-quality leather for which the city is famous, or admiring the artistic contribution of the Medici at every turn.
Day 6 - Uncover Pisa's Treasures After free time in Florence, cross the fertile Arno Valley to Pisa and join a Local Specialist to visit the Square of Miracles, home to the incredible Leaning Tower and beautifully sculpted marble Cathedral. See the ornate Baptistery and the Camposanto, built on sacred soil brought back from the Holy Land during the Crusades. Your unforgettable encounter with Tuscany continues this evening as you Connect With Locals over dinner at a Be My Guest experience, a castle set within a celebrated wine and olive oil estate.
Day 7 - Journey to Bologna and Venice Travel north, through the Apennines, to the medieval city of Bologna, perhaps best known for the delicious pasta sauce that bears its name. Your sightseeing tour with a Local Specialist includes views of the Kissing Towers which lean towards each other, seemingly poised to embrace. Then it's off to the romantic island city of Venice with its rich cultural and artistic heritage. Spend time at leisure gliding along its enchanting canals in a gondola or wander through the city's labyrinthine lanes, over bridges and into quiet campi.
Day 8 - Cruise Venice's Canals Savour the iconic and unexpected highlights of Venice as you cruise by private launch to St. Mark's Square to admire the Bridge of Sighs, Palladian churches, Customs House, St. Mark's Basilica and the ornate Doge's Palace. This afternoon, Dive Into Culture and gain insights into the delicate Venetian art of glassblowing. Spend the rest of the afternoon at leisure or consider an Optional Experience to the island of Burano.
Day 9 - Experience Venice's Food Market Sites made famous in poetry, song and prose are explored today when we join a Local Specialist for a Small Group Sightseeing walking tour from our hotel along the canals to the famous Rialto Bridge, where all the flavours of Italy come to life at a centuries-old food market. Amble through the narrow calli of Venice and admire the beautiful architecture, walking over the Rialto Bridge before spending the rest of the day visiting the sights of your choice. Tonight, enjoy dinner with your fellow travellers.
Day 10 - On to Alpine Innsbruck This morning, say arrivederci to Italy as you cross the Brenner Pass into the Austrian Tyrol. Arriving in Innsbruck we see the Golden Roof, enjoy free time before checking into your hotel.
Day 11 - Onwards to Oberammergau After a leisurely start to your day, explore Innsbruck on your terms and discover the city's ties to the Winter Olympic Games. Later, travel to the Bavarian town of Oberammergau where devout villagers perform their once-in-a-decade Passion Play. This evening, dine at your hotel.
Day 12 - Experience the Oberammergau Passion Play Performance Witness a Trip Highlight and a display of enduring faith - a performance that has given thanks to God's grace every ten years since 1634, when the villagers of Oberammergau pleaded to God to spare them from the ravages of the plague. Take your premium seats for this poignant performance depicting the life and death of Jesus Christ. Dine at a local restaurant this evening, before returning to your seat for the captivating second half of this performance as night falls.
Day 13 - Farewell Germany Say farewell to your fellow travellers at the end of a spiritual journey. Transfers are available to Munich Airport. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers. Sightseeing Highlights Premium Tickets for the Passion Play in Oberammergau VIP Admission to the Vatican Museums Explore Rome, Assisi, Florence, Pisa, Bologna and Venice with a Local Specialist Visit the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, the Villa Barberini Gardens in Castel Gandolfo, the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi and a glassblowing factory in Venice View the Colosseum and Forum in Rome, Santa Croce Basilica and the Duomo in Florence, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and St. Mark's Basilica in Venice Scenic Cruise by private launch to St. Mark's Square in Venice Connect with Locals The Pazzi and Medici feud is brought to light in this visit to the 12th-century Castle of Trebbio where you will enjoy a traditional Tuscan Be My Guest buffet, explore the castle dungeons, and indulge in olive oil and wine tasting. (Day 6) Dive into Culture Be inspired by the magnificence of Michelangelo at The Vatican Museums and enjoy an exclusive visit up the spiral staircase designed by the famous architect Donato Bramante in a part of the Vatican not open to the public. (Day 2) Witness the exquisite craft of glassblowing, a delicate tradition that generations of Venetian craftsmen have perfected over the centuries. (Day 8)
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 19 May 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans