Cape York Frontier: Cairns to Cape York
From 25/05/2021 to 04/10/2021
Daintree RainforestCape TribulationLion’s Den HotelBlack MountainCooktownSplit RockLakefield National ParkTelegraph StationWeipaSunset over the Gulf of CarpentariaFruit Bat FallsSomersetAnchorage BeachThursday IslandHorn Island.
Quality accommodationExperienced Tour LeaderTravel by air-conditioned 4WD vehicleSmall group experience with maximum 24 guestsFlight between Horn Island & Cairns.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Your adventure begins on the coastal route to the Daintree Rainforest. Cross the Daintree River by cable ferry to Cape Tribulation. Next is the rugged 4WD Bloomfield Track (conditions permitting). Cross the Bloomfield River near the Aboriginal community of Wujal Wujal. You'll visit Lion's Den Hotel and eerie Black Mountain en route to Cooktown.
Day 2 - Travel through the agricultural district of Lakeland to Quinkan Country near Laura. Climb the sandstone escarpment at Split Rock to view Aboriginal rock art dating more than 13,000 years depicting traditional activities and culture (suitable footwear and reasonable fitness required; uneven surfaces). Discover Lakefield National Park's waterlily covered billabongs and teaming wildlife. The day ends at Musgrave's century old Telegraph Station.
Day 3 - Cross the Great Dividing Range to visit the old gold mining town of Coen. Cross the Archer River and head to the bauxite mining town of Weipa, where you can enjoy a sublime sunset over the Gulf of Carpentaria.
Day 4 - This morning you have ample time to explore the township of Weipa or join a Wildlife Eco River Cruise (own expense). After lunch (own expense), we head to our overnight accommodation on a true blue Aussie cattle station.
Day 5 - Head north along part of the Old Telegraph Track to Fruit Bat Falls for lunch. Relax, swim, and enjoy this unique area with its enchanting waterfall. Cross the mighty Jardine River by cable ferry, then travel on to the northern-most settlements on mainland Australia.
Day 6 - Stand at the very top of mainland Australia. We then visit Somerset (conditions permitting), once the home of the famous Jardine family. We have lunch on palm fringed Anchorage Beach overlooking the Albany Passage.
Day 7 - Board a boat to cruise to Thursday Island, in the Torres Straits for a guided tour. Later, transfer by ferry to Horn Island to board your aircraft to fly over the Great Barrier Reef to Cairns Airport, ending your fascinating safari of adventure and discovery in Australia's far north.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 March 2021 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 27 February 2021 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans