Expedition Africa: Wildlife & Cultural Discovery
Day 1 - Tema, Ghana The largest seaport in Ghana, Tema boasts an inner and outer fishing harbor, the former known as the Canoe Basin and built to encourage the local fishing practice; the latter designed for the commercial fishing industry. But some of the most fascinating sites are located further along the coastline, where you’ll find UNESCO-listed forts and castles remaining from the Portuguese trade between the 15th and 18th centuries.
Day 2 - Tema, Ghana The largest seaport in Ghana, Tema boasts an inner and outer fishing harbor, the former known as the Canoe Basin and built to encourage the local fishing practice; the latter designed for the commercial fishing industry. But some of the most fascinating sites are located further along the coastline, where you’ll find UNESCO-listed forts and castles remaining from the Portuguese trade between the 15th and 18th centuries.
Day 3 - Takoradi, Ghana The Kakum National Park is an astounding virgin rainforest habitat for hundreds of species of birds, butterflies, mammals and fauna, and your visit to the deep-sea port of Takoradi – or Taadi – can lead you there. Exploring this natural heaven is its own adventure, as you traverse suspension bridges strung from treetops nearly 100 feet high, though the sights (and sounds) of the resident animals will keep you looking outward rather than down.
Day 4 - Abidjan Along stunning beaches, palm trees stretch to the heavens, while inland, it’s modern marvels that scrape the sky. More balance than contrast, Abidjan is a tropical paradise that is embracing economic progress and modernization, and at the same time preserving the natural treasures at its core. The Parc National de Taï is a wildlife haven of lush trees, and the UNESCO-listed Historic Town of Grand-Bassam, the first capital of the Côte d'Ivoire, is a delightful colonial throwback
Day 5 - Atlantic Ocean Cruising
Day 6 - Monrovia Monrovia has had several identities over its approximately two centuries on the modern map, from a coastal town caught in the crossfire of war and settlement for emancipated slaves to a party haven and land of opportunity for entrepreneurs. Today, the Liberian capital is a blend of its past and present, with a bright future. The Liberian National Museum offers a fascinating glimpse into all phases of Monrovia and the country, connecting points of history – and people – to the proud culture.
Day 7 - Freetown, Sierra Leone Founded in 1792 as a haven for free-born and freed American slaves, Freetown is now a diverse mixture of international cultures. The town is a thriving harbor city built around a historic cotton tree, which symbolizes emancipation and can be used as a kind of GPS to orient oneself to Freetown’s main attractions. The Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary outside of town represents another part of the region’s spirit, connecting people with the forests and the animals who live there.
Day 8 - Tokeh Home to one of the most spectacular beaches in the region, Tokeh is a small coastal village with hugely dramatic vistas. Tokeh Beach stretches far along the coast lapped by calm sea waters, making it an ideal spot for swimming and sunning. Fresh-caught seafood, sweet local spirits and a backdrop of forest-covered mountains complete the exotic setting for your immersion into the Sierra Leonean rural lifestyle.
Day 9 - Atlantic Ocean Cruising
Day 10 - Banjul, Gambia Tucked on beach-fringed St. Mary's Island, where the mouth of the Gambia River meets the Atlantic, is Banjul, Gambia's tiny capital city. Banjul is the country's commercial and transportation hub, though it retains a rustic charm. For a taste of local life, browse the Albert Market, lined with colorful craft stalls, or visit the Gambia National Museum, home to historical and cultural artifacts. Also worth a look is the Makasutu Culture Forest and its wildlife-rich mangrove wetlands.
Day 11 - Dakar, Senegal Take a look into the city known as "West Africa’s Window to the Western World," where architectural vestiges of its French rule are still on display, and peaceful islands beckon offshore of beautiful beaches. Dakar’s once tumultuous past is now revived with a brimming cultural scene, full of diverse markets and art galleries.
Day 12 - Dakar, Senegal Take a look into the city known as "West Africa’s Window to the Western World," where architectural vestiges of its French rule are still on display, and peaceful islands beckon offshore of beautiful beaches. Dakar’s once tumultuous past is now revived with a brimming cultural scene, full of diverse markets and art galleries.
The above information has been obtained from the relevant suppliers and should be considered an indicative guide only as to the prices that may be available for these products. Flight Centre cannot guarantee that any particular product will still be available at the following prices, or for your exact dates of travel. At the time of making your booking, prices may differ to that price displayed on this website. Please contact a Flight Centre travel consultant to obtain the latest up to date information regarding applicable prices, fees and charges, taxes, availability, any blackout dates (such as school holidays), seasonal surcharges and other terms and conditions which may apply.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 March 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..