Gems of Britain - Small Group, 2022 Small Group
From 01/05/2022 to 29/09/2022
Additional Included Highlights.
Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency.
We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
From time to time, your Travel Director will delight you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
You may purchase transfers from/to London Heathrow and Gatwick airports on arrival and departure days, or when additional night accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations.
Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - London & Medieval York At 07:15, meet your Travel Director at the trip hotel in London and depart for Stratford-upon-Avon. Visit the birthplace of William Shakespeare and admire the architecture of this pretty town nestled beside the River Avon. Head north to historic York and walk inside the city walls see to the topsy-turvy Shambles, a picturesque street with warped overhanging timber-framed houses. Admire the glorious York Minster, which is the largest medieval church in northern Europe. In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner and the chance to get to know your fellow travellers.
Day 2 - Over the Border to Edinburgh Pass the ruined Jedburgh Abbey, en route to Edinburgh. Your Local Expert will show you Edinburgh Castle, home to the Honours of Scotland. At the end of the Royal Mile see the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the official Scottish residence of Her Majesty, the Queen. Cross over to Princes Street, passing the Sir Walter Scott Monument, to explore the elegant 18th century New Town with its classical Adam facades. In the evening, select departures will attend The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo - a colourful mix of pipes and drums, dance and display, set against the floodlit backdrop of Edinburgh Castle.
Day 3 - The Lake District and Liverpool Journey via Gretna Green, where many eloping English couples have married, to the beautiful English Lake District where there is time at leisure to explore on your own. Why not choose the Optional Excursion of a cruise on Windermere and steam train ride? There really is no better way to admire the incredible scenery of rugged mountain and secluded bays. Continue to lively Liverpool, home of The Beatles, for an orientation.
Day 4 - Roman Chester and Cardiff Visit the former Roman fortress town of Chester. Walk along part of the city walls, see the Eastgate Clock, Chester Cathedral, remains of the Roman Amphitheatre and the unique black and white shopping arcades known as the ‘Rows.’ After time to explore, cross into Wales and head for the capital Cardiff for an orientation of the port city, on the River Taff.
Day 5 - Bath, Stonehenge and London Cross the Severn Bridge back into England and travel to the City of Bath, a UNESCO World Heritage Site built above one of Britain's thermal, mineral springs. Explore Bath with Insight Choice. Visit its incredibly well-preserved Roman Baths or discover the town's significance in the life and work of Jane Austen. Travel across Salisbury Plain to visit the pre-historic and mysterious Stonehenge, where the strange and awe-inspiring monoliths are reputed to be up to 5,000 years old. Your journey concludes upon arrival at the trip hotel in London. Choice Highlights Choose between two carefully selected activities Bath: Visit the incredibly well-preserved Roman Baths. Discover 2000 years of history and learn how this hub of culture is pioneering new educational investments to benefit the community. Its school educational programme actively supports local schools and students to learn about the cultural heritage of the region. The Roman Baths experience advances UN Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education. Bath: Visit the Jane Austen Centre and step into the world of the esteemed author. Learn about her life and work inspirations and take an opportunity to dress up in Regency clothes. Well-being : Our Well-Being Directors take a proactive approach to your welfare ensuring all well-being regulations are met (available on tours with 20 or more guests). : Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxurious, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom. Our customized luxury coaches are sanitized before the start of your tour and are maintained to very high standards. Physical distancing measures have been implemented on our customized luxury coaches. : Experience enhanced hygiene protocols to align with the latest guidance following COVID-19.All Travel Directors, Well-Being Directors and Drivers have completed training in enhanced well-being and hygiene protocols. : We only work with establishments we are confident will consistently adhere to our high well-being standards, which include hotels, restaurants and sight-seeing venues. : Hand sanitizer is freely available on board for you to use throughout the day. Travel Director : "One food I really love introducing my guests to is haggis because it's surprisingly really nice and they love hearing about how it's made. " : "One experience that is not to be missed on this trip is a visit to the Roman Baths, because it's an incredible relic of Roman times from 2000 years ago." Top Rated Highlights Stratford-upon-Avon: Learn about the life of William Shakespeare, arguably history's most famous writer, when you visit his birthplace. Then enjoy some time to explore this pretty town with its iconic Tudor houses. York: Your Travel Director will show you the York Minster, the city walls and the medieval Shambles during your orientation of the city. Jedburgh: See the 12th century Jedburgh Abbey, built in the centre of town, now in ruins. Edinburgh: Explore the city with your Local Expert as you travel along Princes Street to see the Scott Memorial, the neoclassical Adam facades of New Town and the official Scottish residence of the Queen, Palace of Holyroodhouse. Edinburgh: A hush descends and eyes turn to the castle. The skirl of the pipes rises and drums crack the night air as a tide of tunics and tartan flood from the drawbridge. For a limited time in August, witness the incredible spectacle of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Liverpool: Stay in the home city of The Beatles. Chester: During your orientation with your Travel Director see the Jubilee Clock, the cathedral, city walls and famous black and white Rows. Cardiff: Learn more about Wales' capital and cultural hub, Cardiff, as you enjoy an orientation of this vibrant city with your Travel Director. Bath: Visit the Jane Austen Centre and step into the world of the esteemed author. Learn about her life and work inspirations and take an opportunity to dress up in Regency clothes. Bath: During an orientation you will see the Royal Crescent, Pulteney Bridge and Bath Abbey. Stonehenge: Walk around the strange and awe-inspiring monoliths that have reputedly stood for 5,000 years. Authentic Dining York: In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner and the chance to get to know your fellow travellers. Dining Summary: 4 Breakfast (B), and 1 Dinner with Wine (DW) Make Travel Matter Bath: Visit the incredibly well-preserved Roman Baths. Discover 2000 years of history and learn how this hub of culture is pioneering new educational investments to benefit the community. Its school educational programme actively supports local schools and students to learn about the cultural heritage of the region. The Roman Baths experience advances UN Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans