Sunshine Coast Walking Winter Adventure
From 14/03/2021 to 22/04/2021
Being less visited than the neighbouring Vancouver Island and other sections of BC, you’ll feel you’re hitting on something new in Canada.
The Sunshine Coast is a stretch of coastline on the up.
You’ll not only experience south-western Canada by land, but also by sea.
Voyage on a number of short ferry journeys which will get you from a to b, and in the meantime, provide some pretty epic vistas.
Embark on several scenic leader-led hikes, including along the Sunshine Coast and Willingdon Beach trails, and to check out the mighty Skookumchuk Tidal Rapids.
In the small community of Powell Island, gather with your group for an included beer tasting session and light dinner.
It’s just as if you were joining the locals, so cheers!.
With all of the ferry bookings taken care of and private transport arranged, you won’t have to stress about a thing.
Your mind will be focused on finding the next place to eat or whether or not to book an optional kayaking adventure.
Breakfasts Included: 2.
Dinners Included: 1.
Hotel (4 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 4 - 12.
Sechelt - Leader-led Walking Tour.
Powell River - Leader-led Orientation Walk.
Powell River - Leader-led Willingdon Beach Trail Walk.
Powell River - Brewery Beer Tasting.
Leader-led Sunshine Coastal Hike.
Leader-led Skookumchuk Tidal Rapids Hike.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Vancouver / Sechelt Welcome to Vancouver! Today is an early start, meeting at Granville Square (located right by Waterfront Station) at 8:30 am for an all-important welcome meeting. With not a lot of time spent in Canada’s western hub, it’s highly recommended to spend an extra day or two here to see what Vancouver has to offer. The Gastown neighbourhood, Stanley Park, Granville Island – just some of the hotspots to check out if you have time. After your group briefing this morning, depart in a private vehicle towards Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal for a 1.5-hour transfer to Langdale. Back on land, grabs some lunch and take a 30-minute drive to tonight’s stop in sleepy Sechelt. Once you and your group are all checked in, head on a leader-led walk around town, then perhaps catch the sunset by the sea. With a free evening tonight, why not get some of the travel crew together and head out for a meal? Be sure to ask your group leader for their recommendations.
Day 2 - Powell River There are a heap of cafes and eateries around town, so be sure to hit one up for some breakfast this morning. Reconvene with your group mid-morning and hit the road along Canada’s Sunshine Coast. A scenic drive for around an hour will hug the coastline and offer up some pretty serene views of the shore and waterways. Stop for photos along the way, then board a ferry from Earl's Cove Terminal for a 1-hour cruise to Saltery Bay. After another half an hour drive, arrive in the historic town of Powell River – your base for the next couple of nights. Grab yourself some lunch then join your leader on a stroll around town and along the picture-perfect and lush Willingdon Beach trail. Afterwards, freshen up at your hotel, then get excited for a beer tasting experience – with some light dinner – at an establishment in town. You’ve covered a bit of ground in the past couple of days, so sit back and let the conversation (and beers!) flow.
Day 3 - Powell River Rise and shine, and be sure to get some breakfast, before heading off at around 8 am for a 3-hour hike with your group and local leader along the Sunshine Coast Trail. During the hike, you’ll walk through verdant rainforests and past some tall waterfalls. It’s one of Canada’s longest hut-to-hut trails, but you and your small group will just be taking on a small section. There will be plenty of stops to take some panoramic photos along the way. Keep in mind that you’ll arrive back in town around 1 pm, so it’s wise to bring some snacks with you this morning. With an afternoon at leisure, you’re able to keep exploring at your own pace. Perhaps try your hand at kayaking on the Georgia Strait. Otherwise, if sitting down is on the cards, there are plenty of breweries and distilleries to hit up with your travel pals.
Day 4 - Gibsons Enjoy your own breakfast then hit the road by 9 am. Head south in your private vehicle and take the same ferry crossing back to Earls Cove. This time, however, you’ll make a slight detour to Skookumchuk Tidal Rapids for a 2-hour leader-led hike. You might even be lucky to catch the tides changing along the rapids, which is quite a sight twice daily. Some daredevils are sometimes seen battling the rapids, but during winter, it’s likely way too cold! Afterwards, find a local eatery to refuel with your group then head towards the small town of Gibsons by 3 pm. This afternoon is free for you to explore, perhaps visiting a brewery or local museum, or otherwise, make the short walk up Soames Hill for some wonderful harbour views. Tonight, your leader will offer an optional dinner to the group to celebrate your time along Canada’s Sunshine Coast. Gibsons has some fantastic seafood establishments, so why not join your crew for a night of eating and drinking.
Day 5 - Vancouver Leave Gibsons in your dust, departing by 11 am, bound for Langdale to take the return leg of your 1.5-hour ferry ride across to Horseshoe Bay, and onwards to Vancouver. You’ll arrive back at around 4 pm, where the tour will end on arrival at Granville Square. With no activities planned after arrival, you are free to leave the group, continuing your own adventure or beginning your homeward journey.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 February 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..