New Caledonia Adventure
From 19/07/2021 to 10/12/2022
Visit a remote tribal village in the New Caledonian foothills and experience the day and night living in local Kanak tradition.
Learn of the lifestyle and customs of these communities, and spend the night in a traditional faré house.
New Caledonian beaches are the stuff of dreams.
Go snorkelling and glass-bottom boating on the lagoons of Poe Beach, and walk the Three-Bay Trail to see its spectacular shores from up above.
Be welcomed at a farm property just outside of Bourail, and enjoy typical bush cuisine with their farm products.
You’ll get a snapshot of regional life, with many customs adopted from American ranchers.
Gaze in awe at the diverse landscapes of this island nation, from the mighty Kaori trees in the Blue River National Park to lush rainforest and endemic plant species in the Giant Fern Park near Farino.
Your leader has got you front of mind to ensure you get the best out of your stay.
Learn about the region's cultures, traditions and way of living as you travel along the coast, and get the low-down from someone who lives and breathes New Caledonia.
Breakfasts Included: 5.
Lunches Included: 4.
Dinners Included: 2.
Hotel (3 nights),Fare (1 night),Bungalow (1 night).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 8.
Blue River National Park - Guided eco tour & picnic.
Kanak Village - Cultural experience & traditional lunch.
Bourail - Poé Lagoon.
Bourail - Glass bottom boat & snorkeling.
Bourail - Three Bays walk.
Bourail - Farm visit & home cooked lunch.
Farino - Giant Fern Park guided rainforest tour.
Boulouparis - Naiouli distillery visit.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Noumea Welcome to the laidback shores of Noumea, New Caledonia. There are no activities planned for today except for an important welcome meeting at 6 pm, so make sure you arrive at your accommodation before then. If you have some spare time, good for you! You can go exploring in New Caledonia’s main city – perhaps visit the Tjibaou Cultural Centre, Museum of World War II or the St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Cathedral. If you do happen to be here this morning, the market at Port Moselle is a great place to go people-watching, as well as see all the tropical produce, seafood and souvenirs on offer.
Day 2 - Blue River National Park – Noumea After breakfast, join your small group on a 1.5-hour drive into the secluded Blue River National Park. This spectacular slice of nature in New Caledonia’s centre is a sanctuary of local flora, wildlife and biodiversity. Deep red earth contrasts with striking green mountainscapes and shimmering lakes in this provincial park, which is approximately 9,000 hectares of untouched national park. Head deep in the park on foot and in a 4WD, stopping by the panoramic Guepyville and Drowned Forest lookouts, across the wooden Perignon Bridge and along the Cagou Birds Trail, hopefully spotting iconic Caledonian birdlife. Find a scenic spot by the riverside and enjoy an included French-style picnic provided by your guides. Continue into a section of the rainforest to admire the unique Giant Kaori trees dotted through the canopies. There may well even be some cagou birds high above, too! Return back to Noumea for a free evening.
Day 3 - Kanak Village Today, leave Noumea behind and drive to a Kanak Village (approximately 2 hours) for a memorable day and night spent with local villagers. Nestled deep in the foothills of New Caledonia’s main mountain range, this village is a haven for nature lovers. You will be welcomed by Élise at the Oui Poin tribal village, discovering the lifestyle, customs and traditional Kanak culture. Kanak communities across New Caledonia make up around 44% of the island population, all of which share significant connections to spirituality and the land. Learn about daily life here, and perhaps embark on one of a number of bushwalks to check out the local area. Tonight, you will stay in simple dormitory-style accommodation in a faré, or village house. You may even be treated to a traditional Kanak dish, bougna, prepared by your welcoming hosts.
Day 4 - Bourail Bid your gracious village hosts farewell as you and your group depart for Bourail on the island’s west coast. Head to the picturesque Poe Beach, UNESCO World Heritage site, and spend part of the day exploring the lagoon by either glass-bottom boat or snorkelling. Golden sands, turquoise blue waters and shallow reefs – this is New Caledonia in all its sun-kissed glory. There may also be the chance to take a short hike along a section of the Three-Bay Trail – a nature walk connecting the sands of La Roche Percée with the column pines of Turtle Bay and the pandan trees of Lovers’ Bay. If you’ve got time, stop for a quick swim at one of the coves, and keep your eye out for turtles frolicking in the waters! For lunch, visit a nearby farm with your small group – known locally as a ‘property’. Experience a simple and delicious meal provided by your host of typical bush cuisine such as bougna, venison stew and homemade preserves. A lot of the practices adopted by the so-called ‘bushmen’ come from American ranchers, including the Stetson hats they wear! This evening, spend the night in a simple bungalow in Bourail.
Day 5 - Farino – Boulouparis – Noumea This morning, drive to Farino (approximately 1 hour). Here, you’ll visit the Parc des Grandes Fougères, or Giant Fern Park, for a two-hour guided walk deep in the lush rainforests. Your local guide will take you through parts of this World Heritage-listed site, featuring currently around 13,000 species of fern, 70% of which are endemic. Continue to a local restaurant and stop for lunch, before heading to Boulouparis to visit a distillery in town. Here, they produce organic soaps and cosmetic products, including essential oils made from naiouli leaves and other Caledonian plants. After exploring the shop and perhaps purchasing a memento for home, return to Noumea for the night.
Day 6 - Noumea With no activities planned for today, you’re free to leave the group after breakfast this morning. That doesn't mean your adventure has to come to an end! If you would like to spend more time in Noumea, we'll be happy to organise additional accommodation (subject to availability).
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 19 May 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans