Essence of South Africa
From 09/01/2022 to 29/12/2022
5 lunches (including Be My Guest).
First class travel Highlights.
Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals.
Air conditioned coach, mini coach or safari vehicle transportation.
Cherry-picked hotels and lodges all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver, or Driver Guide.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Arrive Cape Town (4 Nights) South Africa's 'Mother City' and her iconic Table Mountain extend a warm welcome as you embark on a small group journey that will reveal the highlights of South Africa. Spend the day delving into Cape Town's cosmopolitan surrounds before joining your fellow travellers and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception.
Day 2 - Table Mountain and Cape Town City Tour This morning, we encounter Table Mountain first-hand, ascending via aerial cableway to its vast flat top - a rocky wonderland of rich Cape fynbos and curious dassies (hyraxes). Peer over the bustling City Bowl and Atlantic Seaboard keeping a keen eye out for the landmarks your Travel Director will show you during this morning's city tour, including Company Gardens, Bo-Kaap and the Castle of Good Hope. The rest of the day is yours to explore Cape Town at leisure. Ramble up Bree Street to sample the city's vibrant coffee culture or take a stroll along the Sea Point promenade with the fellow outdoor enthusiasts. Consider joining our Optional Experience to explore infamous Robben Island, with your guide revealing its turbulent past and the cell where Nelson Mandela spent the majority of his prison term.
Day 3 - Cape Peninsula Tour Circumnavigate the Cape Peninsula, from trendy Camps Bay to Cape Point and back. The crashing waves of the Atlantic to your right, the rocky 12 Apostles to your left, wind your way along one of the world's most magnificent coastal roads towards the outcrop that is Africa's most extreme south-western tip. Say a quiet hello to the shy penguins of Boulders Beach, see the Cape of Good Hope and travel through charming coastal towns along the way.
Day 4 - Cape Winelands and Hermanus Excursion Venture to the town of Franschhoek and see during your orientation why it is proclaimed as one of the most beautiful wine valleys in the world. Take the scenic Franschhoek Pass to the coastal town of Hermanus for your 'Be My Guest' experience. 'Connect With Locals' when you meet local business owner Stefan, who will treat you to a delicious traditional braai (barbecue) featuring deliciacies such as boerewors, pap and melktert. Over a glass of his homemade wine he'll share stories of his life in South Africa's whale watching capital. Return to Cape Town via a scenic driving route, arriving in the late afternoon. Enjoy your evening at leisure.
Day 5 - Cape Town - Greater Kruger National Park Area (3 Nights) This morning you'll bid farewell to the 'Mother City' and fly to Hoedspruit where a private game reserve near South Africa's great Kruger National Park beckons. Kick back, relax and settle in to one of Trafalgar's 'Stays With Stories', Becks Safari Lodge, your home in the bush for the next three nights.
Day 6 - Karongwe Private Reserve Safari Game Drives The action begins as we embark on an early morning game drive through Karongwe Private Reserve with a 'Local Specialist' game ranger and Shangaan tracker-guide. The rising sun awakens the birds and insects that share your journey into the bush, as you scour the dense brush for signs of the Big 5. After lunch, and time for a siesta and a swim, return to the bush for an afternoon safari drive.
Day 7 - Karongwe Private Reserve Safari Game Drives Today enjoy another full day of game drives through Karongwe Private Reserve. Continue to scour the dense brush with your Local Specialist for incredible encounters with Africa's iconic wildlife. End the day with a traditional sundowner drink overlooking the Game Reserve, keeping your eyes peeled for signs of wildlife that emerge from their cover of darkness.
Day 8 - Greater Kruger National Park Area - Johannesburg (2 Nights) Our time in the South African bushveld comes to a close with a 'Dive Into Culture' visit to a local Shangaan village. Learn about the traditions and customs of the Shangaan people and how the Eco Academy there provides eco and wildlife education. The visit includes a simple meal of grilled chicken, pap, Shangaan style cabbage, and for the brave, the opportunity to try mopani worms! Fly to Johannesburg (flight purchased separately, not included in the trip price) and check into your hotel in the heart of Sandton that's well located for exploring the nearby restaurants and shopping during your free evening.
Day 9 - Johannesburg Sightseeing Unlock the secrets of the 'city of gold' on a full-day tour to view several iconic sites including the Regina Mundi Church and Mandela's house in Soweto. 'Dive Into Culture' during a visit to the Hector Pieterson Museum and the Apartheid Museum, which chronicles South Africa's tumultuous Apartheid years.
Day 10 - Depart Johannesburg Our epic encounter with South Africa's iconic sites comes to an end today. Transfer to Johannesburg International Airport for your onward flight. Sightseeing Highlights CITY TOUR in Cape Town VIEW the Castle of Good Hope, Boulder's Beach penguin colony, Mandela House in Soweto VISIT Table Mountain, Bo-Kaap, Cape of Good Hope, Franschhoek, Hermanus, the Karongwe Private Game Reserve, Hector Pieterson Museum in Soweto, the Apartheid Museum Connect with Locals in Hermanus, joining a local business owner for a traditional braai (barbecue) and some of his homemade wine against a clifftop backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean. (Day 4) Dive into Culture Hear first hand about the traditions and cultures of the Shangaan people and how their village promotes eco and wildlife education. (Day 8) Learn about South Africa's turbulent past on an interactive Johannesburg and Soweto Freedom tour. (Day 9) Local Specialist Join an experienced tracker-guide on 4x4 safari game drives Stays with Stories Your stay at Becks Safari Lodge in Karongwe Private Game Reserve contributes to the area's environmental sustainability and community development. (Day 5)
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 October 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans