Walking in California's Sierra Nevada
From 05/09/2022 to 15/09/2023
See a different side of San Francisco on the Lands End Trail which offers views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Pacific Ocean and rocky California coast.
Stroll through The Tunnel Tree, a giant sequoia in Yosemite National Park which is so large the trail had to be cut through the centre of it.
See Vernal Fall on The Mist Trail, one of Yosemite's signature hikes which has more spectacular views than you can point a camera at.
Hike along the shores of Upper and Lower Echo Lakes which are the gateway to the spectacular Desolation Wilderness area.
Breathe in the fresh scent of pine and aspen trees as you take in the views of Mount Morrison and Laurel Mountain on a scenic walk around Convict Lake.
Breakfasts Included: 4.
Dinners Included: 1.
Hotel (2 nights),Lodge (1 nights),Inn (1 night).
On foot,Private vehicle.
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
San Francisco - Lands End hike.
Mist trail to top of Vernal Falls hike.
Tuolumne Grove hike.
Pothole Dome hike.
Convict Lake Loop hike.
Mono Lake South Tufas hike.
Echo Lakes Trail hike.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - San Francisco Welcome to San Francisco! Your tour starts at 12 noon with a group meeting followed by your first walk of the trip, an easy hike along the Lands End Trail. Have your camera handy as you enjoy superb views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Pacific Ocean and the wild and rocky California coast which stretches almost 50 kilometres into the distance. After the hike, return to your San Francisco hotel where you’ll have time to freshen up before taking an interesting walk to our restaurant in San Francisco's famous Chinatown, the biggest of its kind outside of Asia.
Day 2 - Yosemite National Park After departing San Francisco, you’ll head through California’s famous Gold Rush Country, high into the mountains of the Sierra Nevada. Experience the majestic views from Yosemite Valley with some of America’s tallest waterfalls and towering granite cliffs rising 4,000 feet from the valley floor. It won't be long before you arrive at World Heritage-listed Yosemite National Park, one of California’s most incredible natural wonderlands. Millions of visitors come here each year to see Yosemite’s granite cliffs, pine-studded valleys and thundering waterfalls such as Vernal Fall which you’ll be visiting today. The Mist Trail is Yosemite's signature hike and offers the chance to revel in the beauty of these spectacular falls as they bathe your face in a cooling mist. If you would prefer to skip the last few hundred metres of the trail which are quite steep, you can still enjoy great views of Vernal Fall from the bridge downstream.
Day 3 - Mammoth Lakes Today you get to enjoy not one but two magnificent hikes in the Yosemite High Country. After breakfast, walk the Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias trail where you can stroll right through the middle of The Tunnel Tree and admire dozens of mature sequoia trees which tower more than 100 metres above the trail. This afternoon, the Pothole Dome and Tuolumne River trail awaits. This 4 km hike is easy on the legs and even easier on the eye with superb views of Tenaya Lake, the Tuolumne Meadows, Pothole Dome and the tumbling cascades of the Tuolumne River. You'll also have time to explore Mammoth Lakes before you bed down for a good night's rest in a comfortable lodge.
Day 4 - Mono Lake / Lake Tahoe After breakfast, take a walk around Convict Lake on an easy 3 km trail which follows the lake edge. Breathe in the fresh scent of pine and aspen trees as you take in the views of Mount Morrison and Laurel Mountain on this easy scenic walk. This afternoon, head out on the South Tufa Nature Trail. It's a short hike to a viewpoint of the iconic and strange yet beautiful Tufa formations of Mono Lake. Then sit back and enjoy the scenery. The drive to Lake Tahoe on Highway 395 is breathtaking, with fantastic views of the Sierra Nevada the whole way. Upon arrival check into your hotel at Lake Tahoe. Make sure you set aside some time to watch the spectacular sunset over the lake, or perhaps head out for some nightlife.
Day 5 - Lake Tahoe / San Francisco For the final walk of the trip, you’ll hike along the shores of Upper and Lower Echo Lakes which are the gateway to the spectacular Desolation Wilderness area. The 8.5 km Echo Lakes trail offers superb views of these two crystal clear lakes and mountains which provide the perfect backdrop for a classic holiday photo of your Sierra Nevada hiking adventure. On the way back to San Francisco, you will pass through the state’s capital city, Sacramento, following the historic Pony Express Trail through El Dorado National Forest. Your tour ends in San Francisco at approximately 5pm with a hotel drop off.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans