Southern Capitals City Meets Bush
From 08/03/2022 to 12/03/2022
Discover Beechworth, and MelbourneExplore Parliament House in Canberra with a Local SpecialistVisit Gold Creek Sheep Station, and the Australian War Memorial in CanberraConnect with Locals Visit Gold Creek Station for an exclusive Be My Guest Aussie barbecue lunch and sheep farm experience with the Starr family.
Dive Into Culture Experience small town charm and Australian hospitality during your visit to Beechworth.
1 Be My Guest1 Regional Dinner4 BreakfastsAll land transport shown.
All transfers shownAll porterage and restaurant gratuitiesAn expert Travel Director and professional DriverBreakfast daily and up to half of your evening mealsCherry-picked hotels, all tried and trustedLuxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)Must-see sightseeing and surprise extrasOptional Experiences and free time.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Dive into five days of history, food, and sightseeing on your Australia tour package in quaint Berrima before arriving in Gold Creek Station to Connect With Locals. You'll enjoy a true taste of Aussie hospitality from the Starr Family who'll offer insights into farm life on their 400-hectare station. Watch Craig give a sheep shearing demonstration before they get to cooking and fire up the BBQ for your Be My Guest lunch. Then you're off to the historical capital city of Canberra. Get to know the city on a guided tour through Parliament House with a Local Specialist before a visit to the Australian War Memorial. Pause and listen to a powerful piece played by a piper as a tribute to those who have lost their lives in armed conflicts. After this reflective ending to a big first day, get to know your group over dinner at Pialligo Estate featuring estate-grown produce, a taste of regional wine, and a selection of tempting desserts.
Day 2 - Venture out of the city and see it from above ascending the summit of towering Mt. Ainsley. The views are your perfect farewell to Canberra before crossing the mighty Murray River into the state of Victoria to take a step back in time and Dive Into Culture in one of Australia's best-preserved gold rush town, Beechworth. Go inside the circa 1858 Telegraph Station to send a telegraphic message and sit in the judge's chair of the courthouse that sealed Ned Kelly's fate. Wherever you explore in the Beechworth Historic Precinct, there's plenty to see in the many historic buildings preserved from the gold rush days as well as in the charming antique shops, galleries, and museums. No trip to Beechworth would be complete without a trip to the legendary Beechworth Bakery, 'Australia's Greatest Bakery' the owners like to say, to grab a toasty, or their specialty Bushwhacker or Bushranger focaccia. After a taste of the local fare, you'll travel to the nearby cathedral city of Wangaratta.
Day 3 - From small town to big city life, today you'll journey from Wangaratta to cosmopolitan Melbourne kicking off your time here with a city sightseeing tour. Guided by your Travel Director, learn about its Victorian history in the CBD and check out the Southbank's riverfront, arts district, and the gorgeous blooms of Botanic Gardens. Stop by the latest super-chef's restaurants, designer boutiques, and even indoor amusement park at the Crown complex, thinking how you'd like to spend your free evening in town. After your tour, you'll understand why Melbourne is called one of the world's most liveable cities and be eager to explore even more of what's on that night. You're in the perfect spot to do it: opposite the Crowne Complex in centrally located and lively Southbank. Ask your Travel Director for dining recommendations or find a great spot on the Yarra River to try some of the area's seafood.
Day 4 - It's your last full day in Melbourne and you'll want to make the most of it exploring on your own or joining an optional experience in or outside of the city. If you're looking for a view, Eureka Skydeck is the place for panoramic, floor-to-ceiling vistas of the city. Foodies will want to join a Hunt and Gather Food Tour of Queen Victoria Market taking in the sites and bites of this historic marketplace. If you'd rather venture farther out, combine wine and history on a tour of the Dandenong Ranges aboard the century-old Puffing Billy steam train to two wineries in the Yarra Valley where you'll get to taste the area's famous Chardonnay, sparkling wine, and Pinot Noir. Another kind of road trip takes you along the scenic Great Ocean Road stopping at quaint seaside villages and the towering Twelve Apostles limestone formations rising above the Southern Ocean. Another option is a trip to Phillip Island to see the Little Penguins make their trek from the sea to their sand dune burrow homes - a totally unique wildlife encounter not possible anywhere else in the world. It's hard to believe it's only been four days, and oh what a journey it's been! Back in Melbourne your spoilt for choices to raise a glass and celebrate the things we've tasted, learnt, seen and discovered over the last four days.
Day 5 - All good things must come to an end, as your travels through Southern Australia conclude, say a fond farewell to your fellow travellers before your transfer to Melbourne Airport (flights anytime).
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 October 2021 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 25 October 2021 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans