Hiking in Yosemite and King's Canyon
From 17/08/2022 to 25/10/2022
Escape the tourist crowds with an itinerary designed to show you the very best that Yosemite National Park has to offer, while still expertly avoiding the busiest areas.
Hike at your own comfort level with options for alternate routes and a schedule that eases you in – your first hike is an easy one, allowing you to go slow before tackling more serious trails.
Learn about the important work being done by Yosemite Conservancy, with an educational guided walk through the historic Ahwahnee village, where you’ll learn about Native American heritage and the park’s conservation efforts.
Explore the Congress Trail in King’s Canyon and find the largest living tree on Earth – majestic General Sherman.
Forgo the camping sites typical for most visitors to Yosemite and Kings Canyon and instead rest your feet each evening in a rustic mountain resort that boasts unforgettable views and plenty of charm and character.
We love hiking, but that topped with a good beer is even better.
Visit Visalia Microbrewery in Kings Canyon to check : 5.
Lunches Included: 4.
Hotel (3 nights),Lodge (2 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
San Francisco - Marin Headlands hike.
Yosemite NP - Conservancy Exclusive Walk.
Yosemite NP - The Ahwahnee Historic Lodge Visit.
Yosemite NP - Mist Trail Hike.
Kings Canyon - Congress Trail & General Sherman Hike.
Kings Canyon - Visalia Microbrewery Visit.
Kings Canyon - Big Baldy Hike.
Berkeley - The Big C hike.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - San Francisco Welcome to San Francisco! Your tour starts at 12 noon with a group meeting followed by your first walk of the trip, an easy hike along the Marin Headlands Trail. Have your camera handy as you enjoy superb views of dramatic cliffs, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Pacific Ocean and the wild and rocky California coast which stretches almost 50 kilometres into the distance. After the hike, return to your San Francisco hotel where you’ll have time to freshen up and perhaps join your group for dinner (optional) at a local restaurant.
Day 2 - Yosemite National Park After breakfast, head to famous Yosemite National Park, with a lunch stop along the way at the historic Iron Door Saloon, the oldest continuously operating saloon in California, dating back to the mid-1800s. Be sure to check out the saloon’s old photos of the Hetch Hetchy Valley and collection of antique gold mining tools. Look around closely and you might even spot a few stray bullet holes in the walls. In the afternoon, your group will take a guided walk with an expert guide from Yosemite Conservancy and learn about the important work the group does for the Native American community and preserving their culture within the park. As you walk from the historic Ahwahnee Hotel through the meadows of Yosemite Valley and past the ruins of an old pioneer village, you’ll hear Native American stories and history, and learn about Yosemite’s role in the country’s conservationist movement. Your guided walk will end at the Yosemite Valley Lodge, where your leader will be waiting to transport you back to your accommodation at Yosemite Bug, a cosy and charming mountain lodge that features a garden deck and views over the gorge. Settle into your home for the next couple of days and soak up the rustic atmosphere.
Day 3 - Yosemite National Park Millions of visitors come here each year to see Yosemite’s granite cliffs, pine-studded valleys and thundering waterfalls such as Nevada Fall on The Mist Trail which you’ll be visiting today. After a short one hour drive from your accommodation, you'll reach the start of The Mist Trail. This is Yosemite's signature hike with stunning views along the entire trail and spectacular falls which bathe your face in a cooling mist (be sure to pack your rain gear as the falls are close to the trail and you will get sprayed). You’ll also get to see Yosemite’s iconic Half Dome rock formation. It's a favourite with experienced climbers like Alex Honnold, star of the 2017 documentary Free Solo, who holds the record for the fastest ascent of the Half Dome’s Regular Northwest Face route – the first Grade IV climb in the USA. In the evening, take it easy at Yosemite Bug or head outside to gaze at the stars. If the weather is good, you can join your group around a roaring campfire stoked by your guide.
Day 4 - Kings Canyon Drive over to Kings Canyon and go for a hike along the Congress Trail which begins near the General Sherman tree. Named after a craggy-faced US Civil War general, the General Sherman is the largest tree on earth, with its roots firmly planted in California’s Sequoia National Park. The giant sequoia – also known as a redwood – is just over 80 metres tall, with a diameter of 7.7 metres. It’s estimated the tree is around 3,200 years old. This tree isn't the only reason to visit the national park though; wander beneath groves of towering giants, keep an eye out for marmots and deer, or contemplate the meaning of life in a sun-kissed meadow. This afternoon, take a tour around Visalia's Microbrewery District which combines the freshest hops in the state with a vibrant downtown area packed with beer entrepreneurs and connoisseurs. Enjoy a pint or two as you enjoy the charming hometown atmosphere with your group.
Day 5 - Kings Canyon Today's walk is an easy trail with impressive sweeping views of King's Canyon and the Great Western Divide. Known as the Big Baldy Trailhead, this gently sloping trail looks out over high peaks and down to the foothills below. This afternoon, relax at your hotel which is conveniently located near the national park and has an indoor pool which can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Day 6 - San Francisco Today we'll head back to San Francisco but there's time for one last short but sweet hike along the way. You'll need a good pair of shoes and plenty of water to tackle the walk known as the Big C. It's short and straight up with an incredible view from Tightwad Hill, a spot where local football fans come to watch the game without a ticket. We'll arrive back in San Francisco at approximately 5 pm when your tour will come to an end.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 18 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans