From 21/01/2023 to 15/01/2024
1 Welcome Reception.
1 Be My Guest.
First class travel Highlights.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver.
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Optional Experiences and free time.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Welcome to Kochi, Gateway to the Backwaters of Kerala Dip more than your toes in the bountiful backwaters of Kerala, 'God's own country'. This slice of southern India is a lush garden filled with spices, brilliant colours and the enchanting sounds of nature. Relax on the tranquil shores of the Arabian Sea, let the freshest seafood melt in your mouth and sink into a more straightforward way of life - one where nature sets the pace for the day. But first, on arrival at Kochi Airport, you'll be transferred to your hotel. Later, join your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception with local appetisers.
Day 2 - Nature and Relaxation in Periyar Your love affair with Kerala's lush landscapes begins today. Head to Periyar, named after Kerala's longest river which winds its way deep through the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and National Park, your first stop. Spend the afternoon soaking up the sounds of nature during an immersive Nature Walk with an expert Local Specialist. Tread lightly along the dense forest trails, learning about the endemic flora and fauna, as Banyan, Teak and Bamboo trees provide a serene backdrop for a lesson in Kerala wildlife. You may be lucky enough to see herds of wild elephant and bison seeking to quench their thirst along the quiet shores of Periyar Lake. Or keep a keen eye out for hornbills, flycatchers and kites - some of the many species of local and migratory birds that flock to this pristine sanctuary. Your soul soothed after connecting with nature, you'll head to your hotel to freshen up for an exhilarating Dive Into Culture Kalarippayattu performance. Watch as trained Kalari warriors show off this most ancient of martial arts, jumping and somersaulting in the ultimate coordination between mind and body. After a day of adventure, you'll enjoy dinner at your hotel.
Day 3 - Onwards to Kumarakom The intoxicating scents of cardamom, cinnamon and cloves will linger long after today's encounter with Kerala's famous spices. Your first stop today is a visit to Kumily Spice Garden. Here you'll learn how the locals grow and share an astounding variety of flavourful spices, ranging from pepper and ginger to vanilla and cardamom, the queen of spices. Gain insights into the entire process of spice cultivation at close quarters and discover how Kerala's spice trade with the world has shaped its culture and heritage to this day. There's more to experience as you head to Kumarakom, a tranquil village set on the peaceful banks of Lake Vembanad, the largest lake in Kerala. Embark on a walking tour and Dive Into Culture as you admire the vibrant day-to-day of village life in the regional market and on its lively streets.
Day 4 - Cruise the Calm Backwaters Kerala's intrinsic relationship with water takes centre stage today. Enjoy a leisurely start, then board a traditional houseboat for a cruise surrounded by Kerala's iconic backwaters. Take a deep breath and enjoy the slow, sultry pace of life fringing the narrow canals as you wind your way to Alleppey. Watch villagers wave to each other from their wooden Shikaras (traditional boats), see how life unfolds along the palm-fringed shoreline. Even your ride for the day is rooted in history. These houseboats, known locally as Kettuvalloms, were formerly old barges used to ferry rice and spices. Upon arriving in Alleppey, you'll disembark and return to Kumarakom for dinner and a relaxing evening.
Day 5 - Explore Multi-Cultural Kochi Remnants of Kerala's colourful centuries-old trading history are best explored in the old port city of Kochi. It was here that Chinese, Arab and European merchants would come to buy the fragrant spices that found their way to tables all over the world. In turn, they left their mark on Kochi's architecture, cuisine and traditions. Colonial bungalows, Catholic churches, mosques and a European fort dot the cityscape of what was once known as the 'Queen of the Arabian Sea'. Enjoy some free time for lunch and then embark on a city tour to see this multi-cultural centre first-hand, including views of the Mattancherry Dutch Palace and St Francis Church, built by Portuguese traders. Visit the Fort Kochi area and see the traditional cantilevered Chinese fishing nets, unique to this part of Kerala. Admire how these fixed land installations made on bamboo scaffolding are artfully lowered into the sea to catch the seafood for which Kochi is so famous. This evening, Connect With Locals and enjoy a cooking demonstration with a local family followed by a delicious Be My Guest Farewell Dinner.
Day 6 - Farewell Kochi Your epic encounter with Kerala's culture and natural wonders has sadly come to an end, but your memories will last a lifetime. Say farewell to your travel companions and take an airport transfer for your onward flight. Sightseeing Highlights Explore Kochi Visit Kumily Spice Garden and St. Francis Church in Kochi Scenic Cruise the Kerala Backwaters on a houseboat Connect with Locals Visit and have lunch with a local family in their home in Kochi and gain a fascinating insight into their lifestyle. Dive into Culture See the unique Chinese fishing nets at Fort Kochi. Dive into Culture Discover rural life on a walking tour with a local market visit. Dive into Culture See an Indian martial arts performance.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 February 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans