The Southern Drift
From 10/10/2022 to 17/03/2023
TranzAlpine train journeyFranz Josef Glacier Valley Guided WalkHaast River SafariMilford Track ½ day guided walkSouthern Discoveries Milford Sound Nature CruiseEmerson’s Brewery Tour – Craft Beer.
Specialist team of two highly experienced Journey Director and Driver GuideLocal Specialists (Guides)Mixture of boutique, unique and 5-star hotels.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - On arrival at Christchurch Airport you'll be driven by private car to your hotel. Spend some time at leisure to relax or explore on your own. Perhaps visit the Christchurch Botanical Garden or take a ride on the Christchurch Tram. In the evening meet your Journey Director for a Welcome Reception.
Day 2 - It's all aboard the TranzAlpine train. Rated as one of the world's great scenic railway journeys, you'll travel in comfort across the Canterbury Plains through to the Southern Alps. From Arthur's Pass, visit the small town of Hokitika, the heritage and cultural centre of the West Coast, to learn about the importance of Pounamu, better known as jade or greenstone. Later we continue to Franz Josef. Your eco-friendly accommodation is set amid native bush, with an emphasis on relaxation and rejuvenation. This evening, why not enjoy Franz Josef's local geothermal hot pools or perhaps a massage.
Day 3 - After a relaxed start we explore this area, where a local guide explains the history behind the mighty Franz Josef Glacier.
Day 4 - This morning it's time for an adventure as we journey down the Haast River in a purpose built, fully enclosed river jet boat. After a lunch stop at Makarora then travel on to Arrowtown where there is time to explore this historic gold-mining village on the Arrow River. Continue to Queenstown for an orientation tour. Tonight, dinner is included at your hotel.
Day 5 - Enjoy Queenstown your way! Perhaps join a wine tour and taste some of Central Otago's world-renowned Pinot Noir or view The Lord of the Rings film locations on a scenic tour of Queenstown and Glenorchy. Tonight, you can dine at one of the local restaurants along the waterfront in town or simply relax at your hotel.
Day 6 - Make the most of your extended stay in Queenstown. Why not sit back and enjoy a peaceful cruise across Lake Wakatipu aboard New Zealand's oldest steamship, the TSS Earnslaw to Walter Peak Station, take a jet boat ride down the mighty Shotover River. Or simply relax, shop or enjoy time at one of the many caf?s and restaurants while soaking up the alpine views. Tonight, enjoy a highlight dinner at one of Queenstown's exclusive restaurants.
Day 7 - Travel south along the shores of Lake Wakatipu to Te Anau on the shores of the South Island's largest lake. Later you'll travel through the rainforest of the UNESCO-listed World Heritage site of Fiordland National Park, sighting glaciers and mountain ranges onto the amazing Mirror Lake before driving through the hand-hewn Homer Tunnel. Tonight, stay at the magical Milford Sound Lodge, with views of the Cleddau Valley.
Day 8 - Wake up to the startling beauty of Milford Sound. This morning, explore a section of the famous Milford Track on an easy going half day guided walk. This place is steeped in rich history and stories, the flora and fauna are unique and special. This afternoon aboard the Southern Discoveries vessel sit back and relax as a specialist nature guide introduces you to the natural wonders of Milford Sound often called the 'eighth natural wonder of the world'.
Day 9 - We leave the majestic Fiordland National Park for the fertile sheep-dotted pastures of South Otago. Travel through Te Anau known for its beautiful lake and on to the country musical town of Gore for lunchtime, before arriving in Dunedin, New Zealand's southernmost city. Enjoy dinner tonight at Parcels Restaurant at your hotel.
Day 10 - Enjoy a relaxed start this morning, before taking a guided tour oat Emerson's Brewery, sample the tasty craft beer before an afternoon at leisure. Relax or continue exploring Dunedin as you wish. Perhaps ride the historic Tairei Gorge Railway or take a wildlife cruise of the Otago Pennisula.
Day 11 - Travel up the east coast of the South Island via Oamaru and Timaru. On arrival in Christchurch embark on a sightseeing tour of the city to learn about its rebirth after the devastating 2011 earthquake.
Day 12 - Say farewell to your fellow travellers as your Inspiring Journey comes to an end and we transfer you to Christchurch Airport for your onward flight.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 July 2022 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 29 June 2022 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans