Highlights of Peru
From 13/01/2024 to 14/12/2024
1 Welcome Reception.
1 Be My Guest.
1 Regional Dinner.
1 Farewell Dinner.
First class travel Highlights.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver.
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
A Trafalgar Bonus all Intra-Air Flights: Lima to Cusco and Cusco to Lima, including porter service at all airports.
Tickets for a ride aboard the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu.
Optional Experiences and free time.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Arrive Lima Welcome to the Capital of the New World - the launch pad to our effortlessly delivered encounter with the iconic and unexpected highlights of Peru. On arrival in Lima, you'll be transferred to your hotel in the exclusive barrio of San Isidro where you'll enjoy a Welcome Reception this evening to meet your Travel Director and travel companions.
Day 2 - Experience the Sights and Flavours of Lima Connect with the colonial heritage of Francisco Pizzaro's 'City of Kings', admiring the colonial splendour of Lima's UNESCO-listed Historic Centre. Stand in the birthplace of this ancient, yet modern city, surrounded by the Baroque fa?ades of Cathedral of Lima and Palace of the Union. See the Church of San Francisco and discover its hidden catacombs. Celebrate Lima's status as the culinary capital of South America and Connect With Locals when you meet Ignacio Barrios, who has worked alongside many of Peru's most award-winning chefs. We visit a local market where Ignacio will explain how Peruvian fruits, vegetables, seafood and meats are the basis of Peruvian cooking. Then, continue to Chef Ignacio's cooking school where we'll enjoy a demonstration on how to prepare some of Peru's most popular dishes and have an opportunity to sample some at a Be My Guest experience lunch before spending the rest of the day at leisure.
Day 3 - Journey to the Sacred Valley Board a morning flight to Cusco and the Sacred Valley. Dive Into Culture when you visit the Pisac market, displaying Quechua arts and crafts, then continue to a former 18th century colonial-style monastery in the Sacred Valley, our hotel for the night. Connect With Locals and meet Nilda Calla?aupa Alvarez, a master Quechua weaver, and the first person from her village to attend university. She has been an ambassador for Andean traditions since she began learning ancient pre-Columbian weaving techniques as a young girl in the 1960s. MAKE TRAVEL MATTER(R) Experience as your visit helps to preserve and promote traditional pre-Columbian weaving techniques in the 21st century.
Day 4 - Explore the iconic Machu Picchu The mystical empire of the Incas takes centre stage today. We visit the famous Sacred Valley stronghold of Ollantaytambo with a Local Specialist, before boarding the Vistadome train (light snack included) for our epic journey to Machu Picchu, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. Delve into the mysteries of this once-great civilisation, admiring the 15th century stone ruins of temples, palaces and terraces perched high amidst the clouds. Join your Local Specialist for an exploration of the iconic great Temple of the Sun, the House of the Priest, the Sacred Plaza and the Intihuatana, an intricately carved rock most likely used as a sundial centuries ago. We return to our hotel where we dine tonight.
Day 5 - The sites of Machu Picchu and Cusco The ancient ruins of Machu Picchu beckon again and we have an opportunity to re-connect with this ancient wonder. If you're feeling adventurous, hike up to the Gate of the Sun for stunning views over the fortress. We board a train to the Sacred Valley, then head to the colonial city of Cusco, stopping en route at a local chicheria. Dive Into Culture and enjoy the sweet flavours of chicha as you learn how this Peruvian corn beer is brewed by the local women.Visit the Choco Museum where you will learn the Peruvian chocolate making process from the cacao bean to the chocolate bar. You will participate in making the chocolate and experience the true feeling of a chocolate maker.
Day 6 - Step Back in Time in Cusco Embark on a sightseeing tour of the sacred city of Cusco this morning with your Local Specialist, admiring the 16th century Spanish colonial buildings that stand on the foundations of former Inca temples and palaces. See the baroque Cathedral on the Plaza de Armas and 17th century Church of Santo Domingo. Visit the ruins of the Sacsayhuaman fortress and see nearby warehouses where the Incas once stored their grain. Guests have the option to visit Moray, the Inca agricultural greenhouse or laboratory that consists of four platforms that seem to disappear into a crater. Next is the village of Maras, renowned for its ancient salt mines and wells. This evening, Dive Into Culture and gather for a Regional Dinner at a local restaurant, enjoying Cusquenian dishes and ancestral dance performances.
Day 7 - Delve into Pre-Columbian Art in Lima A leisurely start to our day sees us return to Lima this afternoon. Meet a Local Specialist and Dive Into Culture at the Larco Museum, which houses the largest private collection of pre-Columbian art in the world. This evening we join our travel companions for a Farewell Dinner in the museum's garden restaurant.
Day 8 - Depart Lima Our discovery of an ancient civilisation has come to an end. We transfer to the airport for your onward flight or perhaps extend your stay at the Novotel Lima. Sightseeing Highlights Explore Lima and Cusco with a Local Specialist Visit the outdoor market at Pisac, the ruins at Ollantaytambo, two visits to the 15th century fortress of Machu Picchu, historic Sacsayhuaman and the Larco Museum in Lima Scenic Drive through the Sacred Valley and in Peru's Andean highlands Scenic Train Ride to Machu Picchu aboard the Vistadome train Connect with Locals Visit a local market with Chef Ignacio and enjoy a special lunch at his cooking school. Dive into Culture Enjoy cusquenian dishes and a folkloric dance perfomance. Dive into Culture Guided visit to the Larco Museum, which houses the largest private collection of pre-Columbian art in the world.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 12 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans