From 01-Oct-2020 to 30-Sep-2021
Cruise the Bay of Islands, home to 144 islands and take in the sights of small coves and sandy white beaches.
Enjoy an overnight stay in Wellington, New Zealand's capital, and take the time to explore its best-loved landmarks.
Visit the mesmerising Waitomo caves and see thousands of tiny glowworms illuminate the limestone walls.
Immersive Insider Experiences.
7 Breakfast and 3 Dinners.
Expert tour director plus local guides in select locations.
Overseas transfers & luggage porterage.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Arrive Auckland Upon arrival in Auckland, you will be met and transferred to your hotel.
Day 2 - Auckland, Bay of Islands See a mighty Kauri tree and marvel at its size at the Matakohe Kauri Museum. Unique to New Zealand, local Māori people considered these giant trees to be the kings of New Zealand’s forests, while European’s used the wood to construct sturdy spars for their ships, resulting in a rapid decline of the native forests. Today, this forest is heavily protected and new saplings are continuously planted. Later, continue further north to the stunning Bay of Islands, an area that symbolises the birthplace of the nation as the site of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840. After settling in to your hotel, enjoy a Welcome Dinner tonight.
Day 3 - Bay of Islands The Bay of Islands is home to 144 islands providing a beautiful aquatic playground off the north coast of the North Island. Today, after breakfast, you will enjoy a full day at leisure to explore the idyllic subtropical surrounds, said to have some of the bluest skies in the world. You might like to spend some of the day relaxing on one of the pristine beaches or exploring the lush wilderness areas via one of the many walking tracks. In the main town of Paihia, weatherboard shops line the peaceful waterfront promenade and a smattering of white boats bob up and down on the harbour. Known as the ‘Jewel of the Bay of Islands’, this is the gateway to the region’s beaches and islets, and the perfect base from which to explore.
Day 4 - Bay of Islands, Auckland The captivating coastline of the Bay of Islands provides sheltered waters for dolphins, whales, seals, penguins and other marine life, so keep a look out while enjoying the remarkable scenery. Onwards lies pristine Motukokako Island, home of the fabled Hole in the Rock. The area is not only spectacular but also a place of significant cultural importance, entwined with early Māori history. When the tide is right, boats can sail right through the narrow 18-metre-high hole, just as local warriors would once do before heading into battle. Afterwards, return to Auckland by coach and enjoy dinner.
Day 5 - Auckland, Waitomo, Rotorua Travel to Waitomo, home to the famous glow worm caves where thousands of tiny luminescent creatures radiate an unmistakable glow. Continue on to the geothermal capital of New Zealand, Rotorua. At Te Puia - New Zealand’s premier cultural centre - enjoy a guided tour of the Māori Arts and Crafts Institute, during which you will see the incredible Whakarewarewa Thermal Valley and witness geysers erupt and mud pools bubble. Delight in the opportunity to dine and interact with locals who will enchant you with their customs and cheerful hospitality.
Day 6 - Rotorua Rotorua captures the essence of New Zealand with its geothermal geysers, fascinating Māori culture and rich heritage. The city is positioned on the Pacific Rim of Fire, and is therefore one of the world’s most active geothermal areas. Your sightseeing continues with a visit to one of New Zealand’s best-loved attractions, the Agrodome, with its entertaining sheep shearing demonstration, dog trials and animal nursery. Later, perhaps enjoy an optional helicopter flight for views over the active White Island volcano (own expense).
Day 7 - Rotorua, Taupo, Wellington Departing Rotorua, travel along the Thermal Explorer Highway through a region abundant with geothermal activity, crystal-clear lakes, natural spas and rich Māori culture. Stop on the shores of Lake Taupo - the largest freshwater lake in Australasia - and marvel at thundering Huka Falls with its striking blue water. Continue south across the vast volcanic plateau of World Heritage-listed Tongariro National Park and on to Wellington for an overnight stay.
Day 8 - Depart Wellington Your journey comes to an end as you are transferred to the airport.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 24 September 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..