Luxor-Aswan Experience - Independent
From 04/01/2020 to 01/01/2021
Explore the marvels, mythology and mystery of Ancient Egypt, including the tombs of iconic pharaohs in the Valley of the Kings.
Discover the temple at Edfu – one of the best-kept temples of Egypt – and uncover the story of the falcon god Horus with your guide.
Experience classical Egypt from the waters of the Nile, and soak up the sights and sounds of the river from the comfort of a cruise boat.
Bask in the unique atmosphere of Aswan and experience the friendly and laidback character of the local Nubians.
Breakfasts Included: 4.
Lunches Included: 4.
Dinners Included: 4.
Cruise boat (4 nights).
Group Size: 1 - 6.
Aswan - Philae Temple.
Kom Ombo - Kom Ombo Temple.
Luxor - Hatshepsut Temple.
Luxor - Karnak Temple.
Luxor - Valley of the Kings (3 tombs).
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Luxor - Nile Cruise This Independent Experience begins in the open air museum of Luxor, your gateway to the treasures of the Nile; a vibrant place with an excellent bazaar, situated close to some of ancient Egypt's most important and extraordinary sights. On arrival, you will be met by a Peregrine representative and transferred to your Nile cruise boat, which will be your home for the next four nights, with your cabin ready by approximately 12pm. You can then relax by the pool on the boat or explore the town. Later in the day you will a take horse-drawn carriages to Karnak, one of the world's most celebrated temple complexes, a house of the gods built over a period of some 200 years. Your guided tour of this vast temple of impressive pylons, obelisks and chapels will reveal its finest sections, such as the Avenue of Sphinxes and the Great Temple of Amun. For the rest of the afternoon and evening you will be free to relax, shop in the bazaar (open until quite late) or perhaps experience the atmosphere of a local teahouse. Notes: Audits were carried out on balloon operators within Egypt to confirm the safety of their operations; unfortunately we were not able to ascertain the safety standards of these balloon operators. Therefore, we are not able to recommend or assist in the booking of any balloon excursions.
Day 2 - Luxor - Nile Cruise Rise early this morning and head into the Valley of the Kings. Buried under the arid hills here are over 60 tombs of pharaohs, many richly decorated with reliefs and paintings. Explore this sprawling and spectacular place, where the pharaohs of the New Kingdom (16th to 11th century BC) were secretly interred for all eternity, and where discoveries are still being made. Tutankhamun's final resting place is also located here, and you'll have free time to visit it. Your guide will explain the funerary rites of the ancient Egyptians and the significance of the many paintings and hieroglyphics, still well preserved in the deepest tombs. You will visit three of the extraordinary royal tombs and then continue to the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, a stunning colonnaded building set against high cliffs that create a spectacular natural amphitheatre. Your final stop is the Colossi of Memnon – giant statues that were once part of an impressive colonnade. Enjoy lunch upon your return to the boat. There is time to relax on deck or in your cabin before you set sail for Edfu. Generally the journey from Luxor to Edfu is from 1 pm to 11 pm. Departure time may vary, depending on river traffic – please refer to the note regarding cruise schedules in the 'Other Information' section. You will pass through Esna Lock, which can sometimes be a slow process depending on the number of vessels waiting to get through, and continue your journey upstream. Notes: Entry to Tutankhamun's small tomb is quite limited and incurs an additional cost.
Day 3 - Nile Cruise (Edfu - Komombo) Morning finds you moored near Edfu, a beautifully preserved temple dedicated to Horus, the falcon-headed god. You will disembark and explore the temple and its exquisite wall reliefs, than get acquainted the lively town centre and its bazaar. Return to the cruise boat where you’ll continue travelling downriver, relaxing on the sundeck and taking in the surrounding sights – desert hills forming a backdrop to lush riverbanks, fishermen casting their nets and farmers working their land. After arriving at Komombo around 4 pm, take a short walk around the Temple of Sobek (the crocodile-headed god), which sits picturesquely ruined on the river's edge. The temple is a mirror image, divided down the middle, and includes details on the Ancient Egyptian's relationship with crocodiles, whom they revered and feared in equal measure. Board your boat again at around 6pm and continue to Aswan, arriving at around 9.30pm.
Day 4 - Aswan - Nile Cruise Explore Aswan today, Egypt's southernmost city. Its easy-going charm is due in no small part to its large Nubian population. Depending on your arrival time, you may visit the beautiful Temple of Isis (the Goddess of health, marriage and wisdom), which was rescued from the rising waters of the Nile and relocated on Philae Island. It's a marvel of decorative pylons featuring some of Egypt's finest carvings – definitely one of the real gems of Upper Egypt. Here you can discover more about Isis – daughter of Geb, god of the Earth, and Nut, goddess of the Sky – and see reliefs depicting the story of her son Horus. The rest of your day will be free to wander, and Aswan is a great place for it. The Nubian Bazaar, with its intoxicating mix of sights, smells and sounds, is a must, while many recommend the excellent Nubian Museum. The waterfront promenade, or Aswan's 'corniche', runs alongside one of Nile's most appealing stretches and is the perfect place to stop for a mint tea. Watch the waterfront come alive at dusk, as families are out strolling, socialising and relaxing along the corniche.
Day 5 - Aswan Today you will disembark the cruise boat, where your tour ends after breakfast. You will be transferred to either the airport, railway station or an Aswan hotel for your ongoing arrangements.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 13 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..