Sardinia & Corsica Sailing Adventure
From 08/05/2021 to 25/09/2021
Swim in the crystal clear waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea, and explore the ancient citadel of Bonifacio.
Hike the wild landscape of Isola Caprera, and cycle around the lively city of La Maddalena.
Overnight boat (7 nts).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 9.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Olbia This land resembles no other place. Sardinia is something else. Enchanting spaces and distances to travel-nothing finished, nothing definitive. It is like freedom itself. – DH Lawrence. Meet the Skipper at 16:00 at the Café Principe Umberto in Olbia which located on the NE Coast of Sardinia. A short drive (approximately 20 min) will bring you to the Yacht which will be located in Portisco. The first port of call is then the local supermarket to buy supplies for your trip as a group. If you have any special dietary requirements, please make sure you notify us at the time of booking so we can accommodate your requests. We settle on the boat that will be our home for the next 8 days and spend the first night in Portisco on the Costa Smeralda. Fifty years ago the coast north of Olbia was farmland that was until a group of well heeled business purchased the strip of coast and turned it into a millionaires playground, the Costa Smeralda or Emerald Coast. Called so because of the green-blue colour of the water. The rest of the trip we will be among the beautiful marine reserve of Sardinia and Corsica and their small islands. ***The beauty of sailing is that each day is unique and, while we have a destination to reach, if the weather changes or something takes the group’s fancy, we are flexible on the day's itinerary***
Day 2 - Isola Caprera This morning we set sail for Caprera Island where we have time to take a dip and go for our first snorkel of the trip. This island has been declared a natural reserve for the particular species of seabirds living on it (royal seagull, cormorant and peregrine falcon). The island's name is linked to that of Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian patriot and fighter who lived in the 19th century and was one of the fathers of the Italian independence. He bought the island in 1855 and died there in 1882. His house is now a museum and a memorial chapel and the island itself is a national monument. Caprera is linked to La Maddalena island by a 600 metre long causeway. The island was probably given its name because of the numerous wild goats living on it (capra means "goat" in Italian).
Day 3 - Bonifacio (Corsica) It is time to cross the Bocche di Bonifacio (strait of Bonefacio), famous for a strong wind from north west, the Mistral. Our destination is Bonifacio (18 kms) located on the French governed Island of Corsica. Bonifacio is an ancient fortified city where according to tradition you must buy one of the famous knives. Bonifacio is a star attraction in Corsica, drawing visitors from all over the island and overseas to marvel at its medieval houses precariously teetering on the edge of the imposing limestone cliffs.Bonifacio's Old Town, with a labyrinth of narrow streets and historic buildings, was built by the Genoese and is a fascinating place to wander around. Founded in 828 AD by Count Bonifacio of Tuscany, it's natural harbour bears a striking resemblence to the home of the Laestrygonians referred to in Homer's Odyssey of the 7th century BC. Bonifacio also boasts a busy marina filled with impressive yachts and lined with chic bars, restaurants and hotels, enhancing the vibrancy of this fashionable coastal resort. Add to this the fact that Bonifacio is close to several idyllic, unspoiled Corsican beaches as well as staggeringly beautiful mountains, and you have a near perfect, varied holiday destination. A good dinner in one of the traditional little restaurants in the old town will be a great way to an unforgettable day.
Day 4-7 - Isola Lavezzi & Maddalena Archipelago Depending on the weather conditions we spend the afternoon and night in Lavezzi. Lavezzi is located in the middle of the Bonifacio strait and known to be a little paradise where the nature is well intact. We continue exploring the Maddalena Archipelago with possible stops in the Islands of Spargi, S.Stefano and anchor for the night in Budelli. The water here is crystal clear. Un-inhabited islands are surrounded with great snorkelling opportunities and walking trails. Set sail to Maddalena Island. The yacht will be docked in the center of the lively town of Maddalena. Here we have the option to rent e-and normal bikes to explore the island. The town has lots of small stores, cafes, bars and restaurants. The Island of Caprera was home of Giuseppe Garibaldi, the Italian freedom fighter, that established his presence on the island and spend his final days here. Caprera and Maddalena are connected by a bridge. We will then head back towards Olbia in the afternoon of day 7 for our last night.
Day 8 - Olbia Relax on board this morning before this unforgettable adventure comes to an end at around 11 o’clock. Sardinia has so much to offer and as we've only touched the coast on this trip we recommend you book a couple of extra days pre or post your sailing adventure to explore inland and further south. Some recommended areas are: Porto Istana, Porto Brandinchi or Porto San Paolo (Tavolara Island) which you can find about 20kms south of Olbia. Pittulongu beach area which is about 8 kms north of Olbia The rural village of San Pantaleo is about 5kms inland from Portisco
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 May 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..