Mountain Gorillas of Rwanda Experience – Independent
From 01/07/2021 to 03/01/2023
Trek through Rwanda's steamy jungle to spend an unforgettable hour in the presence of a family of rare mountain gorillas – one of the world’s ultimate wildlife adventures.
Stay in a boutique hotel nestled at the foot of the stunning Virunga Mountains with a restaurant, bar and pool and breathtaking views towards Parc National des Volcans.
Learn an important yet confronting side of the country’s history at the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre, plus embark on a city tour of the capital to see modern-day Rwanda on full show.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 2.
Dinners Included: 2.
Hotel (1 night),Lodge (2 nights).
Group Size: 1 - 4.
Complimentary Airport Arrival Transfer.
Kigali - City Tour.
Kigali - Genocide Memorial Audio Guide.
Kigali - Genocide Memorial Centre.
Volcanoes National Park - Mountain gorilla trek & permit.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Kigali / Ruhengeri Welcome to Rwanda! This Independent Experience starts at Kigali Airport where you will be met by a local representative. On arrival, set off to visit the Genocide Museum – opened in 2004 to mark the tenth anniversary of the Rwandan Genocide. While this incident occurred as a result of a complex series of factors, it is seen as an absolute tragedy to Rwanda and its people. This museum is quite confronting but also an important way to understand the resilience of Rwandan people. Afterwards, travel into gorilla territory with a drive through the rolling hills of Rwanda’s countryside. You’ll be staying in the Musanze region near the Parc National des Volcans – the oldest national park in Africa, specifically created to protect the habitat of the gorillas. Your hotel’s facilities include a pool, restaurant, bar and lounge with fireplace and stunning views of nature.
Day 2 - Ruhengeri After a very early start, drive to the park headquarters (approximately 30 minutes) where you’ll be briefed on the gorilla trek by guides. The trackers will have already set out and located the gorilla family by the time you begin your trek, so your actual walking time can usually be predicted when you set off. Trekking may take anything between 40 minutes and five hours to reach your designated family, but it’s more than worth it. Ten different gorilla families live here in bamboo forest interspersed with alpine moorland, grass and marshland, including Group 13, Sabinyo, Amahoro, Umubano, Susa, Kwitonda and the Hirwa. Gorilla trekking is highly controlled, with only 80 gorilla trekking permits available each day. Once a trekking group encounters one of the gorilla families, only one hour is granted in the presence of the great apes before you must move on. Watch these families eat, sleep, groom and play – the giant silverback surveying the scene as the smaller ones laze in the trees or play. It’s a magnificent sight. As your gorilla experience comes to an end, transfer back to your accommodation for a late lunch and relax for the afternoon, reflecting on what is sure to be a truly memorable day.
Day 3 - Ruhengeri / Kigali This morning is free for you to continue your independent exploration of Ruhengeri and surrounds. It is possible to partake in an additional gorilla trek – subject to permit availability and must be pre-purchased well in advance. Otherwise, take to the Dian Fossey Trek – well-known for its connection to the 1980s classic ‘Gorillas in the Mist’ – trekking to her grave, the research station and other notable sites. You could also take the rare opportunity to hike in search of golden monkeys, watching these engaging primates interact and play in the forest’s edge. After your optional experience today, travel back to Kigali, arriving late in the afternoon (approximately 2 hours). For tonight, consider enjoying a meal at one of the many restaurants nearby to your accommodation – the hotel staff will be able to provide recommendations.
Day 4 - Kigali This morning, embark on a city tour of Kigali, learning about this eastern Africa capital city. After an hour or so, depart the city for Kigali Airport, arriving before 12 pm (midday). With no activities planned after this, your Independent Experience finishes on arrival at the airport.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 20 May 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans