From 12/06/2021 to 31/10/2022
One of the last remaining wild places on earth, Borneo offers a rare treat for the nature lover.
It's one of the world's last two remaining homes to the orangutan.
Among our favourite Borneo destinations is Mulu National Park.
Here you can hike through spectacular untouched jungle and visit Asia's longest cave.
The Kinabatangan River is a bird-lover's paradise.
All eight of Borneo's hornbill varieties are commonly spotted here as well as a variety of other fascinating wildlife such as pygmy elephants.
As well visiting the beautiful endangered orangutans at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre, meet another of the region's most vulnerable species - the Malaysian sun bear.
With internal flights, spend less time travelling and more time taking in the wildlife and natural beauty of your destinations.
Your two night feature stay on the Kinabatangan River is in an eco-resort that doesn't sacrifice the environment or comfort and allows you to wake to the sounds of the jungle.
Breakfasts Included: 9.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 4.
Comfortable Hotel (5 nights),Feature stay in Kinabatanhan River Jungle Lodge (2 nights),Resort (2 nights).
Plane,Private vehicle,4WD vehicle,Boat.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Complimentary Airport Arrival Transfer.
Kinabatangan River - Afternoon Wildlife Spotting Cruise.
Kinabatangan River - Morning wildlife spotting cruise.
Kota Kinabalu - BBQ dinner with a local family.
Kota Kinabalu - Mari Mari Cultural Village.
Mulu National Park - Deer & Lang Caves guided walk.
Mulu National Park - Sunset bat experience.
Mulu National Park - Wind & Clearwater Caves guided walk.
Sandakan - War Memorial.
Sepilok - Rainforest Discovery Centre.
Sepilok - Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre.
Sepilok - Sepilok Sun Bear Conservation Centre.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Kota Kinabalu Welcome to Kota Kinabalu, the capital city of Sabah. An arrival airport transfer is included. Please advise your flight details at time of booking so as we can book this transfer for you. There is an important welcome meeting at 6 pm today, which you can find details about at the hotel’s reception. If you have any free time beforehand, perhaps explore this intriguing city that was born between the Borneo jungle and the South China Sea. Modern-day 'KK' is a lively modern metropolis, having recovered from World War II bombings. The Sabah State Museum is a great place to immerse yourself in its backstory.
Day 2 - Mulu National Park Fly from Kota Kinabalu to Mulu (approximately 1 hour). In the late afternoon, visit Deer Cave and Lang Cave, which are reached by following a scenic jungle walk that follows a three-kilometre plank walk (in each direction) which passes through peat swamp, alluvial flats and limestone outcrops. At sunset you will watch the millions of bats fly out of Deer Cave and see the large ring shaped formations they make as they circle higher and higher up the cliff face before moving out across the rain forest in spiraling ribbons. You will want to have your camera handy for this magnificent sight.
Day 3 - Mulu National Park Spend the day exploring the stalagmites and columns of Clearwater Cave and Wind Cave. Located along the Melinau River, Wind Cave is named for the cool breeze that blows through it - make sure you pack a jacket. Later, explore the caverns and crags of Clearwater Cave, one of the longest caves in Asia. For lunch, enjoy a simple picnic with your fellow travellers.
Day 4 - Kota Kinabalu Fly from Mulu back to Kota Kinabalu, arriving in the late afternoon. Tonight, have a special experience as you enjoy a traditional meal of barbecued meats and local specialities in a local family's home. This is a wonderful way to really immerse yourself in everyday life with a family, visiting their home, asking questions and maybe even lending a hand with the cooking!
Day 5 - Kinabatangan River Fly from Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan (approximately 50 minute flight) and on arrival, visit the Sandakan War Memorial. Here you will learn about the city's past as you stand on the same ground of the former Japanese POW camp. This site also marks the starting point of the tragic Sandakan Death Marches. Afterwards, travel by private mini bus to the Kinabatangan River (approx 2.5 hour road journey). Your jungle lodge, located beside the river, is ideal for taking in the lush surrounds. At 560 kilometres, the Kinabatangan River is the second longest river in Malaysia. It's also a protected forest reserve, containing some of the highest concentrations of wildlife in Borneo. Later in the afternoon you take a river cruise, hopefully spotting some of the more exotic local creatures. Wild elephants seldom reveal themselves, but crocodiles, macaques, wild orangutan, proboscis monkeys, hornbills and kingfishers are more easily seen. After this short adventure, head back to the lodge to enjoy dinner.
Day 6 - Kinabatangan River You might awake to the call of a Bornean gibbon, or perhaps a hornbill. Enjoy an early morning cruise through the fog as the sun rises, searching for more birds and wildlife. Keep an eye out for long tail macaques and pig tail macaques – ask your leader about the difference. Enjoy coffee, tea and a snack during the cruise, with breakfast served as normal when you return to the lodge. A second river cruise, in the afternoon, will be your last chance to photograph or simply marvel at your surrounds.
Day 7 - Sepilok Travel by private mini bus to Sepilok (approx 2 hours). In the afternoon you will visit the Rainforest Discovery Centre where you can discover the rainforest from the tree tops. The Canopy Walkway is about 347 m long with two towers (named Bristlehead and Trogon respectively) and a single-column Sunbird Shelter. There are also nature trails on the ground level for you to explore. Enjoy a relaxing evening at your Sepilok hotel, perhaps unwinding with a drink surrounded by the sounds of the rainforest at night time.
Day 8 - Sepilok This morning visit the orangutans at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. Watch and photograph these charming creatures as they swing into view on ropes and vines. It is important not to interrupt the orangutans, to aid in their successful re-introduction to their natural environment. A popular section at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre is the outdoor nursery where young orangutans, born in captivity or orphaned, are cared for. Entry here is included in your admittance. Take the chance to view these young orangutans as they learn how to climb on a specially constructed jungle gym. You will also visit the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre, seeing the world’s smallest bears in large forest enclosures as they are rehabilitated after being rescued. This afternoon is yours to spend as you wish. You have the option to visit the nearby Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary, or you may prefer to take a dip in the hotel pool.
Day 9 - Kota Kinabalu Catch a short flight back to Kota Kinabalu. Travel by private mini bus to visit the intriguing Mari Mari Cultural Village, nestled deep in the countryside. Here you will see how indigenous ethnic groups of Borneo used to live. The trip there should take less than an hour. This is a rare opportunity to see what the culture and lifestyle was like here in a bygone era. Witness first hand how the tribes would cook their meals, ignite flame with bamboo, and use a blowpipe to hunt. It's a fun, interactive and educational experience. Later, enjoy a farewell dinner with the group.
Day 10 - Kota Kinabalu Say goodbye to your new companions as your trip ends after breakfast today.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 17 April 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans