Grand Tour of Greece - 10 Days
From 2020-09-08 to 2020-09-22
9 nights 4 star hotels.
9 breakfasts and 6 dinners.
One arrival transfer on Day 1 and One departure transfer on Day 10 included per booking .
Guided sightseeing in Athens, Olympia, Delphi, Meteora, Thessaloniki.
Entrance fees for all included sites.
Services of an English-speaking tour guide for all scheduled sightseeing.
All transfers and transportation in modern air conditioned vehicles.
Note: Touring is operated in conjunction with other tourist groups, not solely On The Go.
You will join travellers who booked through other operators for sightseeing each day, some staying in different hotels, and spend your evenings at leisure.
The group can vary in size from 20- 45 persons.
Guiding may be in an additional language to English.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Athens Welcome to Greece! Transfer to your hotel upon arrival at Athens airport, where you may spend the rest of the day at leisure.
Day 2 - Athens Today we embark on a tour of Greece's vibrant capital city, named after the goddess Athena and thought to be over 3000 years old. We visit various sites of interest including the Panathenaic Stadium (where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896), Hadrian's Arch, and Syntagma Square. Afterwards we go back in time with a guided visit of the Acropolis, the ancient hilltop sanctuary housing the architectural masterpieces of Classical Athens: the Parthenon, Propylaia, Temple of Athena Nike, and Erechtheion. This is followed by a guided tour of the Acropolis Museum, recently voted one of the best museums in the world. Enjoy the afternoon at leisure in the old Plaka neighbourhood and maybe shopping for souvenirs on Ermou street.
Day 3 - Olympia Athens - Epidaurus - Mycenae - Olympia. After breakfast, we depart towards the Peloponnese, the rocky peninsula home to many of Greece's greatest archaeological sites. First we stop at the gaping Corinth Canal, a narrow waterway separating the Peloponnese and Greek mainland. We continue to Epidaurus, a hub of ancient healing with a theatre famed for its acoustics.
After a short seaside stop in Nafplion, we visit Mycenae, the ancient civilization described by Homer as "rich in gold" and excavated by Heinrich Schliemann. The site includes the towering Cyclopean walls, the beehive tomb of Agamemnon, and the famous Lion's Gate. In the afternoon, we cross the mountains of the Peloponnese to arrive in Olympia for dinner.
Day 4 - Olympia Olympia - Delphi. Built on the banks of the River Alfios, the lush green sanctuary of Olympia once housed the original ancient Olympic Games, held every four years in honour of Zeus. Today we enjoy a tour through its remains, including the Temple of Zeus, the Palaestra, and Phidias's workshop. We continue onto the local museum which houses the impressive statue of Hermes of Praxitelis. In the afternoon, we head north around Patras, over the Rio-Antirio bridge, to Delphi for dinner.
Day 5 - Delphi Delphi - Kalambaka. The sanctuary at Delphi was revered in antiquity as a center of pilgrimage, home to the Pythia (Oracle) in the Temple of Apollo. We walk along the Sacred Way - the path followed by ancient visitors through the sanctuary. We then visit the local museum, where we'll find the bronze Charioteer statue and the omphalos stone. Afterwards, we cross the mountains of central Greece back to the mainland, to arrive in Kalambaka.
Day 6 - Kalambaka Kalambaka - Thessaloniki. This morning we visit the UNESCO World Heritage site of Meteora. Incredible rock formations stand ageless on the landscape, hiding a number of Eastern Orthodox monasteries which have provided sacred retreat for monks over the centuries. We continue driving north through the plain of Thessaly and Valley of Tempi, and under Mount Olympus, home to the 12 gods of Greek mythology, before arriving in Thessaloniki, the capital of northern Greece.
Day 7 - Thessaloniki We spend the morning exploring the city of Thessaloniki, visiting its most important landmarks and monuments to get a sense of its rich Byzantine past. Afternoon at leisure.
Day 8 - Thessaloniki Today we explore the history of Greek Macedonia. First we stop at the town of Edessa, framed by several beautiful waterfalls. Our next stop is Aristotle's School, where the great philosopher educated a young Alexander the Great. We then find the royal Macedonian tombs at Vergina, where Alexander's father Philip II is buried. Our final stop will be at Veria, where we'll see the Bema of St. Paul, colourful market, and Jewish neighbourhood. We return to Thessaloniki for dinner.
Day 9 - Thessaloniki Thessaloniki - Pella - Dion - Athens. Our journey through Macedonian history continues with a visit to Pella, the ancient capital of Macedonia and birthplace of Alexander. The site at Pella is known for its exquisite floor mosaics and features a new museum. We then drive to the archaeological park of Dion, an ancient Macedonian sanctuary at the foot of Mount Olympus. We return to Athens for our final night, stopping at Thermopylae, where Leonidas and 300 Spartans made a heroic last stand against the Persians in 480 BC.
Day 10 - Athens Today marks the end of our grand tour of Greece. A transfer to the airport for your departure flight is included after breakfast.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 12 August 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..