Quarry Trail to Machu Picchu Extension
From 09/12/2023 to 03/01/2024
Cosmopolitan, scenic and steeped in Incan heritage, Cusco is a dream to walk around.
Marvel at the cathedral, explore colonial art and architecture or explore the incredible ruins nearby.
Cusco's central market is a great chance to meet Quechua-speaking descendants of the Incas and browse for weird and wonderful Andean specialties.
Hike to the mother of all Incan cities, magical Machu Picchu.
Enjoy a guided tour of the ruins, plus free time to explore at your leisure.
Be treated to incredible sunrise views over misty Machu Picchu – just cross your fingers for clear skies!.
With a cook to prepare meals and porters to carry your equipment, you can focus on the walk and get the most out of your experience.
Breakfasts Included: 5.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 2.
Camping (with basic facilities) (2 nights),Hotel (3 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 16.
4 day guided hike with porters' support.
Machu Picchu guided tour.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Cusco Bienvenidos! Welcome to Cusco, the heart and soul of Peru. Today is free for you to explore Cusco until 6 pm when you meet your Intrepid representative at the lobby of your hotel. As this tour is a Short Break Adventure, you are not accompanied by an Intrepid group leader but, our local representative will brief you during this meeting. On this trip you will join other Intrepid travellers who are hiking this trek as part of longer Intrepid Group trips and may have been travelling together for a few days before you meet them. If you have time, check out the beautiful cathedral or perhaps the nearby ruins of Saqsayhuaman, Qenqo or Tambomachay. A Boleto Turistico (tourist ticket) will grant you access into these sites.
2 - Quarry Trail Depending on the travel arrangements you made before the trip, during the next four days you'll be hiking the Quarry Trail. While away from Cusco, the bulk of your luggage will be stored at your hotel. The evening before you leave Cusco you'll receive a small duffle bag to carry your clothes in for the next four days (5 kg maximum). Your team of porters will carry these bags for you, together with the food and equipment for the trail. Please note that you won't have access to these items until the end of each day, as the porters will always be ahead of the group. Make an early start today and drive to Choquequilla, a small ceremonial place where Incas worshipped the moon. Drive to the starting point of the trek, Rafq'a, and meet the horsemen who join us on the hike. After an hour's walk, reach the small community of Socma. Carry on to the Perolniyoc cascade lookout, an opportunity to stop for photos and a food break. Continue to the campsite (3700 meters above sea level). You should reach the campsite around lunchtime. After lunch, set off to explore the Q'orimarca archaeological site, which once served as a checkpoint to the Incas. The Quarry Trail is within the abilities of most reasonably fit people. The hike is 26 kilometres long in total and its highest pass is at 4450 meters above sea level. Throughout the trek, horses will carry your gear and camping equipment. The first two nights are spent camping and the third night you will stay at a simple hotel. Double tents (twin-share) and foam camping mats will be provided. The porters will set up the tents while the cook prepares meals.
3 - Quarry Trail This is the most challenging and rewarding day of the hike. Your walk (approximately 3 hours) takes you to the top of the first pass of Puccaqasa (4370 m). After enjoying picturesque views of the valley, it's a short walk before stopping for lunch. Afterwards, hike to Kuychicassa (approximately 2 hours), the highest pass of the trek (4450 m). From here, descend to the sacred site the Incas called Intipunku (Sun Gate), with views of the Nevado Veronica mountain. Head to the campsite which is only a stone's throw away at Choquetacarpo.
4 - Quarry Trail Today's hike is all downhill. The first stop is the incomplete Kachiqata quarry, where the Incas were intercepted by the Spanish. Around midday, your trek comes to an end. Explore the cobbled streets of Ollantaytambo before taking the short train journey to Aguas Calientes. Spend the night in a comfortable hotel before tomorrow's visit to Machu Picchu.
5 - Quarry Trail - Machu Picchu - Cusco Today you will explore the incredible Machu Picchu ruins with a local guide. Your tour lasts approximately two hours, and there will be plenty of free time afterwards to explore on your own. When it's all over, return to Cusco for a well-earned shower and perhaps a Pisco sour. Depending on weather conditions, take a bus at 5.30 am along the winding road to Machu Picchu (approximately 30 minutes). If the skies are clear, take in spectacular views over the ancient city from the Sun Gate, before going on a guided walk around the ruins. According to Machu Picchu visiting regulations, all visitors must follow a pre-determined route within the site. This route must be followed in one direction only and once the guided visit commences exiting and re-entering the site is not permitted. Once the guided visit concludes, visitors must exit the site and personal exploration of Machu Picchu is not permitted. After taking advantage of the seemingly endless photo opportunities, it's time to return to Cusco for a well deserved shower and a pisco sour.
6 - Cusco Farewell your new friends as your adventure comes to an end after breakfast this morning. Check-out time is 9 am. Luggage storage can be arranged at the hotel if you're departing later.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans