Felucca Explorer to Luxor - 8 Days
From 2019-12-28 to 2020-12-26
Breakfast daily, 2 lunches, 2 dinners.
5 nights 3 - 4 star hotels, 2 nights aboard felucca (open deck).
Airport arrival and departure transfer, day 1 and day 8.
Touring of Cairo, Giza, Saqqara, Luxor, Aswan and Kom Ombo.
Escorted by an Egyptian tour guide degree qualified in Egyptology.
All relevant transfer and transportation in private modern air-conditioned vehicles.
Ave group size: 16 persons.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Cairo Saturday. Welcome to Egypt. Upon arrival at Cairo airport you’ll be met and transferred to our start hotel. Spend the rest of the day either relaxing after your journey or exploring Egypt’s bustling capital.
Day 2 - Pyramids of Giza After breakfast our first stop is the Giza Plateau to visit one of the ancient Seven Wonders of the World. The legendary Pyramids of Giza were constructed over 4,500 years ago to protect the mummies and treasures of pharaohs. Of the three pyramids, Cheops is the largest and it’s thought that it would have taken 100,000 workers over 20 years to build. If you’re looking for a real Arabian experience, here you also have the option of a camel ride across the sands of Giza.
Following the pyramids and marveling at the iconic Sphinx, we take a visit to the necropolis of Saqqara to see Zhoser’s step pyramid. Dating back to around 2,700 BC, this is the world’s earliest stone monument. Constructed by Imhotep, the pharaoh’s chief architect, this structure became the template that all future pyramids were based on. We complete our day souvenir shopping at the bustling Khan el-Khalili bazaar.
Day 3 - Cairo Cairo - Luxor. This morning we head to the Egyptian Museum which houses the world’s largest collection of ancient Egyptian artefacts. Amongst the incredible array of antiquities, we’ll see the golden treasures of King Tutankhamun including his famous funerary mask. We then board our coach to travel the long 9-hour journey to Luxor in the south.
Day 4 - Luxor Luxor - Aswan. Our first stop this morning is Luxor’s West Bank where we see the Colossi of Memnon, which are two imposing 18-metre-high statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep III, and explore the incredible tomb strewn Valley of the Kings and the colonnaded Temple of Hatshepsut. Surrounded by rugged limestone cliffs, this dazzling temple rises out of the desert plain in a series of terraces.
The Valley of the Kings was the site for royal burials for centuries and is studded with elaborate tombs including that of the famous King Tutankhamun. These tombs housed the mummies of mighty pharaohs as they awaited passage into the afterlife. After exploring, we spend the remainder of the afternoon continuing our journey south to Aswan.
Day 5 - Aswan Aswan - Nile felucca cruise. Today there is an optional early morning excursion to the magnificent temple of Abu Simbel, the entrance of which is guarded by four colossal statues of King Ramses II. We then embark on a short boat ride to Agilika Island where we enjoy a guided tour of the stunning Philae Temple, which was dedicated to the goddess Isis.
In the afternoon we board our traditional felucca for a 2-night journey along Africa’s longest river. Feluccas are sailboats that have plied the River Nile since ancient times. Spend the rest of the day relaxing in the sun, then at night sleep under the stars on the felucca deck.
Day 6 - Felucca Cruise Nile Felucca Sailing - Kom Ombo. Today we enjoy a full day sailing the Nile, soaking up the sunshine and scenery. Take a refreshing swim if you like and wave at the locals as we glide by. We then enjoy another magical night on deck under the blanket of stars.
Day 7 - Aswan Kom Ombo - Luxor. Today we disembark at Kom Ombo to explore the riverside temple which honours the ancient Egyptian crocodile god Sobek. We then journey back to Luxor. This evening we take an optional guided night tour of the extraordinary Luxor Temple. Illuminated by hundreds of lights, the temple is at its most spectacular at this time.
Day 8 - Luxor We spend our final morning enjoying a guided tour of the vast Temple of Karnak. The oldest buildings of this religious complex date back around 4,000 years and today it is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Covering an area of more than 100 hectares, the complex is larger than some ancient cities.
We end our tour with an included transfer to Luxor Airport. To make sure you have time to visit Karnak Temple please book your flight to depart after 2pm. Alternatively, we can book post tour accommodation if you’d like to extend your stay.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 13 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..