Essential Egypt - 9 Days
From 2019-12-28 to 2020-12-26
7 nights 3 - 4 star hotels.
1 overnight train: Luxor - Cairo (Private 2 berth sleeper cabin).
Airport arrival and departure transfer, day 1 and day 9.
Touring of Cairo, Giza, Saqqara, Luxor, Aswan and Kom Ombo.
Felucca excursion to Elephantine Island.
Escorted by an Egyptian tour guide degree qualified in Egyptology.
All relevant transfer and transportation in private modern air-conditioned vehicles.
Ave group size: 16 persons.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Cairo Saturday. Welcome to Egypt! Upon arrival at Cairo airport you will be met and transferred to our start hotel. Spend the rest of the day at leisure in Egypt's bustling capital.
Day 2 - Pyramids of Giza Our Egyptian adventure begins today with a guided tour of the legendary Pyramids of Giza and the iconic Sphinx on the Giza Plateau. Sole survivors of the ancient Seven Wonders of the World the three great pyramids were built over 4500 years ago. and the largest pyramid Cheops was constructed from over 2.5 million limestone blocks, Constructed from over 2.5 million limestone blocks, Cheops is the largest of the great pyramids and it is thought to have taken 100,000 workers more than 20 years to construct. There are plenty of camels available for hire at the pyramids if you fancy a real Arabian experience.
We travel on to the necropolis of Saqqara to see Zhoser’s step pyramid - which is the oldest large-scale stone monument still standing. Constructed by Imhotep the pharaoh’s chief architect in 2700 BC, Zhoser’s step pyramid became the template for all future pyramid construction, including the famous Pyramids of Giza. We complete our day souvenir shopping at the bustling Khan el-Khalili bazaar.
Day 3 - Cairo Cairo - Luxor. This morning we'll discover the remarkable treasures of King Tutankhamun at the world-famous Egyptian Museum, which is home to a staggering array of Egyptian antiquities. This afternoon we board our coach for the 9 hour drive south to Luxor. Upon arrival this evening we check into our hotel by the River of Nile.
Day 4 - Luxor Luxor - Aswan. Luxor is known as “The World’s Largest Outdoor Museum” and today we'll begin to discover why. After breakfast we cross to the West Bank of the Nile where we'll see the towering 18m high Colossi of Memnon statues before entering the Valley of the Kings, which is home to over 60 beautifully decorated royal tombs, some of which you can enter. The tombs were carved into the desert rocks to house the sarcophagi enclosed mummies of the pharaohs, awaiting passage into the after-life. Some of the tombs are so well preserved that the colours of the incredible pharaonic friezes are still as vibrant as when they were first painted. The best known tombs are those of Ramses II, Seti I, Amenhotep II and of course, the tomb of King Tutankhamun.
From the Valley of the Kings we travel on to the beautiful Temple of Queen Hatshepsut which rises out of the desert plain in a series of terraces. Later this afternoon we continue our journey south to Egypt's southernmost city, Aswan.
Day 5 - Aswan Early this morning there is an optional road excursion to visit Abu Simbel which is possibly the most awe-inspiring temple of all ancient Egypt, with its four colossal seated statues of the Ramses II staring out across Lake Nasser.
After the optional excursion we take a short boat ride out to Agilika Island for a guided tour of the beautiful Philae Temple which is dedicated to the goddess Isis and dates back to 4th century BC. The rest of the day is free to relax by the hotel pool, go shopping in the colourful souks and watch a beautiful sunset over the Nile.
Day 6 - Aswan Today we enjoy a relaxing sailing trip on the River Nile on board a traditional Egyptian felucca sailing boat. Sit back, relax and watch life along the riverbank as we sail to Elephantine Island. The rocks on Elephantine form the shape of an elephant's back and on the island you can opt to see the ancient Nilometer which measures the depth of the Nile and wander around the colourful Nubian Village. Spend the rest of the day at leisure.
Day 7 - Aswan Aswan - Kom Ombo - Luxor. We bid farewell to Aswan this morning and travel back to Luxor, stopping en route to visit the striking riverside temple of Kom Ombo which is dedicated to the crocodile headed god Sobek. Arriving into Luxor, opt for an evening excursion to the spectacular Luxor Temple, which is best seen after dark when it's illuminated by hundreds of lights.
Day 8 - Luxor Luxor - Cairo. Enjoy a morning tour of the gigantic Karnak Temple Complex. Karnak is home to spectacular towering columns, sanctuaries, pylons, chapels and obelisks, all dedicated to the Theban gods and to the greater glory of Egypt’s Middle and New Kingdom rulers. This afternoon you can opt a dip in the hotel pool and soak up the sunshine before later this evening boarding the overnight sleeper train bound for Cairo.
Day 9 - Cairo Sunday. Arrive back into Cairo this morning and transfer to our start hotel, where our Egyptian adventure ends. Today offers free time for you to further explore Cairo before included departure transfer to the airport. Flights departing Cairo should not be booked before 2pm.
Should you wish to stay a few more days, post tour accommodation is available, should you require.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 13 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..