South India Explorer - 14 Days
From 2020-01-11 to 2020-12-19
12 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 3 dinners.
11 nights 3 - 4 star and heritage hotels, 1 night deluxe houseboat.
1 overnight train from Trichy - Kochi.
Houseboat cruise along the Keralan backwaters.
Guided touring of Kochi, Fort Kochi and Munnar tea plantation.
Traditional Kathakali Dance Show in Kochi, (entrance fee excl).
Guided touring of Mahabalipuram, Kanchipuram Temples, Pondicherry and Madurai.
Airport arrival and departure transfers on day 1 and day 14.
Services of English-speaking Indian specialist guides at some sites.
Escorted by an English-speaking Indian tour guide (for groups of 6 or more).
All relevant transfers and transportation in private A/C vehicles.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Chennai Welcome to Southern India! On arrival in Chennai you'll be transferred to our hotel in Mahabalipuram where the rest of the day is at leisure.
Day 2 - Mahabalipuram Enjoy a guided visit to see the plethora of temples at Kanchipuram and enjoy a guided tour of Mahabalipuram. See the beautiful Shore Temple, the largest bas-relief in the world at Arjuna's Penance and the Five Rathas. These temples were covered by sand until the British rediscovered them 200 years ago.
Day 3 - Pondicherry Travel to Pondicherry today for a guided tour. Stroll along the beach and see the beautiful red and white Sacred Heart Basilica.
Day 4 - Thanjavur Today we drive to Tanjore, with numerous stops en route. Visit the famous temple at Chidambaram and the iconic Airavateswara Temple before we arrive in Tanjore for an evening at leisure.
Day 5 - Madurai Today we tour the city of Tanjore including the towering Brihadishwara Temple. After the tour we drive to Madurai and attend the evening Aarti prayer at Meenakshi Temple.
Day 6 - Madurai Enjoy a half day guided tour of Madurai including the rock-cut temple of Thirupparankunram Murugan and then explore the bustling local bazaar this evening.
Day 7 - Trichy Travel to Trichy and explore the iconic Rock Fort Temple, which sits on a hill overlooking the city. After our tour we board the overnight train to Kochi.
Day 8 - Kochi Enjoy a free day in coastal Kochi today and watch an entertaining Kathakali dance show this evening.
Day 9-10 - Munnar Enjoy a guided tour of Fort Kochi and see the famous Chinese fishing nets and St Francis' Church. We then travel to the former hill station of Munnar and enjoy a guided stroll through a tea plantation on day 10. The rest of the day is at leisure.
Day 11 - Alleppey Travel to Alleppey today and board our deluxe rice boat for a cruise along the lush Kerala Backwaters. Enjoy freshly prepared meals and the night onboard and admire your stunning surroundings as we sail.
Day 12-13 - Kumarakom Disembark at Kumarakom for two free days to relax or explore. Opt to visit the Kumarakom bird sanctuary or take a boat ride on Lake Vembanad.
Day 14 - Kochi Return to Kochi this morning where our tour ends with an included airport transfer. Flights from Kochi should depart after 2pm.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 15 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..