China: Great Wall Hike, Bike & Kung Fu
From 07/05/2023 to 14/10/2023
Take a longer hike along unrestored sections of the Great Wall away from the tourist hordes, admiring the views of winding mountain ranges and endless horizons.
Discover local life near the Great Wall when staying at a family-run local guesthouse, sitting down to a delicious home-cooked meal each evening.
Find your zen while learning kung fu from a local master.
Learn the basic principles and common misconceptions of this martial art while being guided through moves and practices.
Explore the Forbidden City and then cycle around Beijing on a bike tour that takes you through parks, temples and winding alleyways.
Learn the ways of Chinese daily life and culture, stopping by for home-cooked meals with families during your adventure.
There’s no better way to get under the skin of a place than speaking to those who call it home.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 5.
Dinners Included: 3.
Hotel (3 nights),Guesthouse (3 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Great Wall - Dumpling making.
Great Wall - Huanghuacheng Section.
Great Wall - Gubeikou to Jinshanling trek.
Great Wall - Jinshanling section.
Miyun - Kung fu lesson.
Beijing - Forbidden City.
Beijing - Temple of Earth.
Beijing - Jingshan Park.
Beijing - bike tour.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Beijing Nimen Hao! Welcome to China. The capital of the most populous country on earth, Beijing has quickly shed its historical face in favour of modernity. However, there are still plenty of places that give an insight into the nation's ancient past, as well as sights that showcase China's contemporary culture. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm where you’ll meet your tour guide and travel pals. If you arrive early, good for you! Settle into your hotel and then maybe head out to explore the Beijing streets – with your hotel located centrally, a walk in any direction will unveil all sorts of wonderful surprises.
Day 2 - Great Wall (Hiking) This morning, make tracks for the first section of the Great Wall – Huanghuacheng (approximately 2 hours’ drive). An incredible piece of engineering, the wall stretches 6000 km (3730 miles) westwards from the mountain ridges north of Beijing. Originally constructed to protect empires from invaders from the north, it is still without a doubt one of the country's most remarkable achievements. Take your first steps along the renowned structure today at Huanghuacheng. This section features a unique part of the Great Wall submerged under water when a dam was built. Spend a couple of hours here hiking along the wall and have lunch in the nearby village before continuing to Gubeikou village tonight. You will stay at a family-run guesthouse for the next two nights. Tonight, learn the art of dumpling making with a demonstration from your hospitable hosts – the best part is tasting the fruits of your own labour!
Day 3 - Great Wall (Hiking) Rise and shine early and trek from the Gubeikou to Jinshanling section of the Great Wall. You will walk over some steep, remote terrain for approximately 5-6 hours. Some parts of the wall have not been restored so you'll need to concentrate hard to keep your footing, while in other parts the trail takes you off the wall to walk alongside it through the countryside. You’ll often feel like you have the whole wall to yourself as you take your time, snaking through the hills almost endlessly into the distance. Being perched on this incredible engineering feat and surveying the spectacular surrounding countryside is an unforgettable experience. In the evening, put your feet up, have a few beers or maybe learn how to play mahjong at your guesthouse – a few of your travel crew will definitely be keen to play.
Day 4 - Jinshanling Great Wall (Hiking) – Changping This morning, drive back to your finish point yesterday to continue the trek along the Great Wall. This portion of Jinshanling winds through stark hills and mountain ridges. Steep stretches make parts of today's 3-hour trek challenging, but also largely without any of the tourist hordes. This stage is also known for its unusual Barrier Walls, or walls within the Wall, and inscribed watchtowers. Today will be your last day walking the Great Wall, so make the most of it. Once off the wall, you'll be transferred to Changping county to meet your master Shifu for kung fu tomorrow.
Day 5 - Changping (Kung Fu) – Beijing Start the day with a lesson in kung fu. Learn basic principles, common misconceptions and how this ancient practice relates to Zen tradition as an expert instructor guides you through simple moves. Wrap up an enlightening morning with a vegetarian lunch, just like a Shaolin monk, then leave your meditative retreat to return to the vibrance chaos of Beijing later in the afternoon. Tonight is free for you do choose your own adventure. Perhaps you’d like to head to a kung fu show tonight to see if you recognise some of the moves, or why not head to Beijing’s Olympic Park to see it all lit up at night.
Day 6 - Beijing (Biking) Get ready for a full day discovering Beijing! Transfer to the Forbidden City by public bus and spend some time exploring this magnificent palace complex. After exiting the Forbidden City, board another public bus and transfer to your bicycle pick-up point. Hop on your bike and follow your leader on a cycling tour through the parks, temples and hutongs (residential alleyways) of Beijing. Your guides have a rough itinerary in mind, but it has been kept flexible so you can see the most interesting sights along the way. For today’s lunch, you’ll join a local family in one of the hutongs for a traditional meal – it’s a perfect opportunity to learn about the daily life and culture of Beijing residents. After an active day, maybe head out with your new travel friends for an optional dinner to celebrate a great journey together.
Day 7 - Beijing Your trip ends after breakfast. There are no planned activities today and you are free to depart at any time before check out, which is usually around 12 pm. Depending on your onward journey, you can store your luggage at the hotel during the day.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 July 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans