New Guinea Island Encounter
P&O guests can now slip and slide their way to the Pacific onboard Pacific Dawn, which features the wildest and longest waterslides on an Australian cruise ship. The two new slides, both around 80 metres long, form the centrepiece of a massive refurbishment of the Brisbane-based superliner. One slide is transparent so that spectators can watch guests shoot through its twists and turns, while the other slide is multi-coloured, with music pumping through it to give guests a high impact ride to the bottom. Other additions include a waterpark and P&O’s first virtual reality activity at sea from Sony Interactive Entertainment Australia. As part of the refurbishment, the 2000-guest Pacific Dawn has also become the first in the fleet to wear the cruise line’s striking new livery featuring the Southern Cross, a national symbol in both Australia and New Zealand. Additions to the 70,000-tonne ship include more than 3000 pieces of new and reupholstered furniture, more than 1500 pieces of art and accessories and more than 500 new pieces of signage. In the teenage clubs, HQ and HQ+, the entertainment has gone to a whole new level with the cruise line’s new virtual reality experience, featuring a range of popular Sony PS4 titles including Tearaway Unfolded, Gravity Rush 2 and Ratchet & Clank as part of the exclusive partnership with Sony. Pacific Dawn’s guests can now also enjoy a range of other new features on the ship including The Pantry, an international market place of nine fresh food outlets which replaces the traditional ship buffet. Among its offerings are the Mediterranean-inspired Nic and Toni’s and seafood restaurant, Shell & Bones. Meanwhile some of the ship’s key public spaces – including the atrium, Charlie’s cafe, The Orient and the Promenade Bar – have been redesigned to mirror the contemporary look which has become a trademark of the P&O fleet in recent years. The refit comes at the start of P&O’s biggest year of Queensland cruising, with two ships sailing from Brisbane year round.
Day 1 - Brisbane Brisbane offers a cosmopolitan mix of shopping, dining, history, arts, sightseeing and entertainment. Expereience the nearby theme parks or visit Australia Zoo.
Day 2 - At Sea
Day 3 - At Sea
Day 4 - Alotau, PNG Rich in diverse natural beauty and traditional culture, Alotau offers visitors fantastic markets and a colourful harbour area. It’s undoubtedly one of the most laid-back, secure and enjoyable towns in Papua New Guinea. The Alotau Festival and Sing Sing is an alluring display of rich custom and culture, with intricately adorned canoes, warriors in traditional dress, powerful music, dance and ceremonies. Milne Bay offers a fascinating insight into the region during World War II, as the site of a significant historic battle.
Day 5 - Kitava, Trobriands, PNG As a matrilineal society, women make the rules in the Trobriand Islands. As intriguing as they are stunningly beautiful, guests can try their hand at Trobriand cricket on Kiriwina – where the unconventional rules include an unlimited number of players, dancing and whistle-blowing. Of course, natural beauty abounds with unspoiled beaches and sparkling tropical waters teeming with fish and colourful coral, ready for exploring. Or sit back and take in the cultural dances and traditional performances against the pristine beach backdrop.
Day 6 - Rabaul Occupied by Germany, Australia and Japan throughout the 20th century, destroyed by volcanic eruptions in both 1937 and 1994, and being all but flattened by Japanese and Allied air raids in World War II, Rabaul is a fascinating town brimming with historic significance. Like the 800km of Japanese tunnels used to conceal ammunition and makeshift hospitals or the volcano Mount Tavurvur and its hot springs. Plus, explore the culture and traditions of the local Tolau Duk Duk tribe who call the city home.
Day 7 - Kiriwina Island, Papua New Guinea Here, one of the world’s most intact island cultures resides on one of the world’s most untouched islands, and you are among the select few who are lucky enough to experience them both.
Day 8 - Conflict Islands, PNG
Day 9 - At Sea
Day 10 - At Sea
Day 11 - Brisbane Brisbane offers a cosmopolitan mix of shopping, dining, history, arts, sightseeing and entertainment. Expereience the nearby theme parks or visit Australia Zoo.
The above information has been obtained from the relevant suppliers and should be considered an indicative guide only as to the prices that may be available for these products. Flight Centre cannot guarantee that any particular product will still be available at the following prices, or for your exact dates of travel. At the time of making your booking, prices may differ to that price displayed on this website. Please contact a Flight Centre travel consultant to obtain the latest up to date information regarding applicable prices, fees and charges, taxes, availability, any blackout dates (such as school holidays), seasonal surcharges and other terms and conditions which may apply.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 17 February 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- Rates displayed are P&O Go fares, giving you a great cruise fare without all the bells and whistles when you know exactly when you want to holiday. Please note the Gofare has different deposit and cancellation conditions to other P&O fares. The deposit amount (90% of the cruise fare) is non-refundable and is due within 3 days of booking, when the booking is made 76 days or more before the cruise departure. The final payment is due 75 days prior to the cruise departure. If you have booked on a Go fare 75 days or less prior to the cruise departure, the full cruise fare amount is due within 3 days of booking. Go fare bookings cancelled up until 15 days prior to departure will incur a cancellation fee of 90% of the cruise fare. Go fare bookings cancelled 14 days or less prior to departure will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of the cruise fare. Should you need to change the name of a guest (replace a passenger), a $50 name change fee applies for each change on a Go fare booking. Go fares are not combinable with any other offer unless specifically stated otherwise.