Wonders of Ancient Greece - 7 Days
From 2020-08-08 to 2020-10-25
6 nights 4 star hotels.
6 breakfasts and 3 hotel dinners.
One arrival transfer on Day 1 and One departure transfer on Day 7 included per booking.
Guided sightseeing in Athens, Olympia, Delphi, and Meteora.
Entrance fees for all included sites.
Services of an English-speaking tour guide for all scheduled sightseeing.
All transfers and transportation in modern air conditioned vehicles.
Note: Touring is operated in conjunction with other tourist groups, not solely On The Go.
You will join travellers who booked through other operators for sightseeing each day, some staying in different hotels, and spend your evenings at leisure.
The group can vary in size from 20 - 45 persons.
Guiding may be in an additional language to English.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Athens Welcome to Athens, the capital city of Greece. Upon arrival at the airport you'll be met and transferred to your hotel. You'll have the rest of the day to discover the city, home to an exquisite architectural history and an equally thriving modern society.
Day 2 - Athens Today we embark on a coach tour of Greece's vibrant capital city, named after the goddess Athena and thought to be over 3000 years old. Sights include the Panathenaic Stadium, the only stadium in the world built entirely of marble, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus, which lies at the heart of modern Athens. The highlight of our day is the Acropolis, considered by some to be the most important ancient site in the western world. Here we find masterpieces of classical Greek architecture, including the iconic Parthenon. We also enjoy a guided tour of the Acropolis Museum, recently voted one of the best museums in the world.
Enjoy the afternoon at leisure in Plaka, a historical and picturesque part of the city. Take a stroll through the cobbled streets or relax with a drink at one of the many tavernas in the area. Don't forget to shop for souvenirs on Ermou Street.
Day 3 - Olympia Athens - Epidaurus - Mycenae - Olympia. Today we depart Athens and head for the Peloponnese, a region which was the setting of many great myths and legends. Our first stop is the narrow Corinth Canal, a man-made waterway completed in 1893 after centuries of attempts. We then continue to the beautifully preserved theatre at Epidaurus, a sanctuary famed for medicine & healing in antiquity. Next we visit the World Heritage site of Mycenae, the early civilization excavated by Heinrich Schliemann. We'll see the Cyclopean walls, Tomb of Agamemnon, and Lion Gate. We continue across the Peloponnese mountains to Olympia for the evening.
Day 4 - Delphi Olympia - Delphi. Today we explore the home of the ancient Olympic Games. Situated along the longest river in the Peloponnese, the Alfios, Olympia is a fascinating step back in time to the birth of one of today's biggest sporting events. We visit the Temple of Zeus, the Palestra and Phidia's workshop.
Heading north this afternoon, we cross the impressive Rio-Antiro Bridge before heading for our final stop of Delphi.
Day 5 - Kalambaka Delphi - Kalambaka. The sanctuary at Delphi was revered in antiquity as a centre of pilgrimage, home to the Pythian Oracle in the Temple of Apollo. We'll walk up the Sacred Way, the path followed by ancient visitors through the sanctuary, to see the temple ruins, and visit the local museum, where we'll find the bronze Charioteer statue and mythical omphalos stone. Afterwards, we cross the mountains of central Greece back to the mainland, arriving in Kalambaka for the evening.
Day 6 - Athens Kalambaka - Athens. This morning we visit Meteora, a stunning World Heritage site where a series of towering rock formations shelter several sacred Eastern Orthodox monasteries. We return to Athens for the night, briefly stopping at Thermopylae, where King Leonidas and 300 Spartans made a famous last stand against the Persians in 480 BC.
Day 7 - Athens Our tour of the wonders of Greece ends today after breakfast, with an included transfer to the airport for your departure flight.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 12 August 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..