Lost City Trek
From 28/03/2020 to 16/12/2020
You'll be fully fuelled for your journey, starting with included lunch and dinner on your first day, then included breakfast, lunch and dinner for every following day of your trek, plus breakfast and lunch on your final day.
An expert Local Guide to navigate the trail.
Porters to take care of carrying the essentials.
This is your team.
Trusted Contiki partners who are specialised, smart, friendly, fun, and integral to your adventure.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Your unforgettable adventure begins today with a morning pickup from your Santa Marta hotel and a 3-hour journey by 4-wheel-drive vehicle to the small town of El Mamey, where you'll stop for lunch at a local restaurant serving delicious & authentic Colombian food.Arriving at our first camp, we'll relax and recharge, surrounded by lush forestland and rushing rivers, as we get set for the first leg of our spellbinding trek.
2 - This morning we'll fill up with a hearty breakfast before departing for the gruelling but rewarding 4.5-hour trek to the 2nd camp. Along the way, we'll stop at the native community of Mutanyi, where you'll meet members of the Kogi (or Cogui) indigenous group to learn about their fascinating tribe and rich traditions.When you reach the 2nd camp, you'll have lunch and downtime to swim in the Buritaca River and kick back. Later, we'll swap stories over dinner before a much-deserved sleep.
3 - This morning, we'll trek four hours to the 3rd camp, crossing the snaking river several times and admiring the incredibly varied landscape as we journey deeper into the jungle and pass a few village communities along the way.When we arrive at the 3rd camp, we'll have lunch and relax. During the afternoon and evening we'll put our feet up and soak in the sights and sounds of this awe-inspiring medley of mountain passes and thicketed jungle.
4 - Today, after another much needed breakfast, we'll leave camp at 6am for the headline event: the ancient city of Ciudad Perdida, which you'll reach around 9am and enter by climbing its 1,200(!) stone stairs.You'll have about three hours to explore the ancient city, set in the dense jungle. Archaeologists believe it was founded around 800 AD by the Tayrona culture, (much older than Machu Picchu), but it remains shrouded in much mystery and speculation.In the afternoon, we'll trek for 2.5 hours back to the 2nd camp, where you'll have dinner, still buzzing from what we've experienced today.
5 - Today, after breakfast, we'll walk for seven hours back to El Mamey, where we'll have a delicious regional lunch. Our guides will then drive us back to Santa Marta where our adventure began.We'll arrive mid-afternoon, exhausted, elated and eternally changed. This is the end of our Lost City Trek, but the experience will surely stay with us forever.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 February 2020 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 20 February 2020 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.