Essence of Austria
From 22/09/2020 to 26/10/2020
Participate in a traditional Austrian cookery lesson in Zell am See.
Enjoy a train ride on the SchafbergBahn, a cog railway that has been in operation since 1893.
Indulge in a cider tasting session at a distillery in Amstetten.
Itinerary / more information
DAY 1 - Munich - Tegernsee - Zell am See We'll meet with the group in Munich this morning before moving on to Tegernsee - where we'll get acquainted with the picturesque lake on a boat trip. Our next stop will be Zell am See, which is filled with marvellous alpine scenery (and comes complete with another shimmering blue lake). Tonight, we'll get to know each other a little better over a group dinner. Accommodation: Hotel Steinerwirt 1493 (or similar)
DAY 2 - Zell am See After this morning's breakfast, we'll roll up our sleeves for an included cookery class - where a local expert will demonstrate how to make Austrian delicacies kaspresskn?del (cheese dumplings) using fresh farm produce. When we've learnt the tricks of the trade, we'll try our hand at making the delicious treats ourselves - with the chance to taste the fruits of our labour afterwards. Accommodation: Hotel Steinerwirt 1493 (or similar)
DAY 3 - Zell am See - Berchtesgaden - Salzburg Today we'll head back over the border into Germany for a stop at Berchtesgaden. While we're here, we'll visit Hitler's famous Eagle's Nest, which is perched high at the top of a mountain peak overlooking the quaint Bavarian town. After wandering the very rooms where Hitler and other Nazi party officials entertained foreign diplomats and held banquets, we'll travel back down the mountain toward our next stop: Salzburg. Accommodation: ACHAT Plaza Zum Hirschen Salzburg (or similar)
DAY 4 - Salzburg Today you'll be free to experience Salzburg's fairytale magic and explore its spectacular Baroque sights at your own pace. The birthplace of Mozart, the impressive Mirabell Palace and Gardens, Salzburg Cathedral and St Peter's Abbey are all great places to start! This evening, we'll come together to enjoy a group dinner and Mozart concert at the lofty Salzburg Fortress. Accommodation: ACHAT Plaza Zum Hirschen Salzburg (or similar)
DAY 5 - Salzburg - SchafbergBahn - Schnitzhof Alm - Tauplitz Today we'll board an old-fashioned cogwheel train and take the SchafbergBahn up to the top of the Schafberg mountain - taking in some fantastic views of the Salzkammergut region along the way. Then, it's on to Schnitzhof Alm - a delightful 400-year-old cottage where traditional cheeses are made. After enjoying a cheese tasting session and included lunch we'll continue to Tauplitz. Accommodation: Hotel Seebacherhof (or similar)
DAY 6 - Tauplitz - Admont - Amstetten - Durnstein After a breakfast in idyllic Tauplitz our road will take us to Admont Abbey, where a guided tour awaits. Exploring landmarks is thirsty work - so it's only fitting that our next stop in Amstetten will be a local distillery! While we're here, we'll gain an insight into the cider-making process, and - of course - have a chance to taste it for ourselves. Tonight we'll dine in D?rnstein, a photogenic town famous for its vineyards. Accommodation: Hotel Kirchenwirt (or similar)
DAY 7 - Durnstein - Spitz - Tulln an der Donau - Vienna Our final day together will see us travelling to Spitz, a wine-growing village in Lower Austria. After that, we'll move on to Tulln an der Donau, a historic town teeming with parks and gardens, where you'll be free to lunch where you choose. Then: our tour will come to a close in buzzing Vienna, with its captivating blend of Baroque architecture, imperial palaces and musical masterpieces.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 10 June 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..