An Austro-Hungarian Christmas
From 09/12/2020 to 15/12/2020
Attend a soul-stirring classical Christmas concert at the Kursalon in Vienna.
Learn traditional Slovenian recipes at a cooking class in Ljubljana.
Browse the stalls at Zagreb Christmas market - Europe's most beautiful Christmas market.
Itinerary / more information
DAY 1 - Vienna Our tour will begin in magical Vienna, where we'll visit St Stephen's Cathedral and explore the historic town centre's most iconic landmarks. Along the way, we'll stop off at an authentic Viennese coffee house - where we'll learn about the importance of caf?s in Viennese history. After enjoying a freshly brewed coffee (complete with traditional liqueur and delicious slice of Sachertorte), our tour will continue with a visit to the impressive City Hall - where the Vienna Christmas Dream Market awaits us. We'll spend some time strolling the sparkling stalls before moving on to a nearby restaurant for dinner. And then? We'll round off the day at the elegant Kursalon, where we'll be treated to a classical concert featuring the music of Strauss and Mozart. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 2 - Vienna - Piber - Graz After breakfast, our first stop of the day will be Piber - where we've an appointment to keep at the Lipizzaner Stud, the home of Europe's oldest purebred horses. While we're here, we'll learn about blacksmithing and visit the carriage museum - and we'll also have the chance to see the foals with their mothers. Then: it's onwards to a nearby dairy, where we'll gain a fascinating insight into the cheesemaking process (and sample some local cheese, ham and wines while we're at it). This afternoon, we'll set a course for Graz - which will be bustling with Christmas markets and lit up with decorations at this special time of year. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 3 - Graz - Lake Bled - Ljubljana Farewell, Austria! Today our journey will continue into Slovenia as we set our sights on the awe-inspiring Lake Bled. When we get there, a unique experience awaits us at the castle: a visit to the famous Beehouse, which celebrates the Carniolan bee. After enjoying a honey tasting session, we'll move on to Ljubljana - where we'll wrap up warm for an enchanting walking tour of the illuminated streets. Treat yourself to a cup of mulled wine and a honey cookie as we learn the story behind the city's Christmas decorations - which are the brainchild of renowned painter Zmago Modic. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 4 - Ljubljana - Postojna Cave - Ljubljana After breakfast, we'll board the mini-coach and make tracks to a true natural wonder: the breathtaking Postojna Cave. While we're here, we'll be lucky enough to take a ride on the underground train, taking a closer look at the cave system's towering rock formations, sparkling rivers and vast subterranean halls as we go. The afternoon will see us back in Ljubljana, where we'll have the opportunity to try our hands at a Slovenian recipe or two at an included cookery class. The best part? We'll be able to eat our creations afterwards! Appetites satisfied, the evening will be yours to spend as you please. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 5 - Ljubljana - Novo Mesto - Zagreb On today's agenda: a stop at Novo Mesto, a city situated on a picturesque bend of the Krka River. After enjoying a traditional Slovenian snack in the historic centre, we'll move on to Zagreb - where we'll tuck into a two-course lunch before embarking on a city tour. Then: one of the best Christmas markets in Europe is calling! Expect colourful displays, festive food and drink, concerts, choirs and much more. It's no wonder this bustling Advent attraction draws visitors from all over the world! Accommodation: TBC
DAY 6 - Zagreb - Heviz Today we'll shake off the chill of winter with a visit to the biggest thermal lake in Europe: H?v?z, where we'll have the chance to take a dip in the warm waters. With beautiful water lilies peppering the lake's surface - and humid air rising all around us - this truly is an unforgettable experience, especially during the winter. Back on dry land, the afternoon will see us exploring the area's Christmas market. Expect lots of hearty foods - including sausages, pickles, peppers and l?ngos. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 7 - Heviz - Budapest There's nowhere more festive at Christmas time than Budapest - making it the perfect place to round off our trip. Our last hurrah? A cruise along the Danube, with a buffet-style lunch. Then: time to say goodbye.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 11 June 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..