Christmas Markets: The Best of Saxony and Bohemia
From 30/11/2020 to 05/12/2020
Explore the Striezelmarkt in Dresden - Germany's oldest Christmas market.
Discover traditional Ore Mountain Christmas decorations with a handicraft manufacturer.
Enjoy the famous spa and thermal springs of Karlovy Vary.
Itinerary / more information
DAY 1 - Prague - Melnik - Dresden After meeting the group amidst the cobblestoned streets of Prague, we'll begin with a walking tour of the city (complete with a visit to the Christmas market, of course). Later, we'll move on to Meln?k. Here, we'll dive straight into proceedings with a tour of the hilltop castle - with plenty of time to stroll the grand rooms and browse the 17th-century map collection. The afternoon will see us arriving in historic Dresden, where a welcome dinner awaits us at our hotel. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 2 - Dresden - Wackerbarth Castle - Dresden This morning we'll learn more about a Dresden Christmas tradition on a visit to a local Stollen bakery. The delicious seasonal treat is said to date back to 1329 - when the region's bakers entered it into a competition organised by the Bishop of Nauruburg. Later on, we'll board a steam engine for a scenic ride along the L?ssnitzgrundbahn railway. Our next stop? Wackerbarth Castle, where we'll gain an insight into the winemaking process on a tour of the vineyards and wine cellar (and of course, try a sample). We'll round off the day at the famous Striezelmarkt in Dresden (Germany's oldest Christmas market). With twinkling lights, bustling stalls and the scent of mulled wine in the air, there's no better place to soak up the Christmas spirit. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 3 - Dresden - Freiberg - Seiffen - Neuhausen After breakfast, we'll bid farewell to Dresden and move on to Freiberg - where we'll explore the Cathedral of St Mary on a guided tour. Then: our journey will continue as we make tracks to Seiffen, where there's a visit to a handicraft manufacturer in store. Here, we'll discover the stories and craft techniques behind traditional Ore Mountain folk art figurines - including delightful nutcrackers, Christmas pyramids and candle arches. Tonight, we'll dine together at our hotel in Neuhausen. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 4 - Neuhausen - Annaberg-Buchholz - Karlovy Vary At Annaberg-Buchholz, we'll spend the morning delving into the area's history at the Ore Mountain Museum - which showcases exhibitions dedicated to mining, the art of the late Middle Ages and the ancient crafts of potters, pewterers and trimmers. In the museum's courtyard, we'll find the entrance to the silver mine - where we'll have the opportunity to gain a unique insight into silver mining history. After topping up our energy levels with a 'Bergmansschmaus' (a traditional miner's snack), we'll move on to Unterneudorf - where we'll board a steam train to Oberwiesenthal, enjoying fantastic views of the surrounding landscape along the way. Our final stop of the day will be Karlovy Vary. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 5 - Karlovy Vary Today we'll step out into the streets of Karlovy Vary on a guided tour before setting our sights on the Hot Spring Colonnade (the home of the gushing Vr?dlo geyser) - where we'll go underground to see how the thermal water is drawn, distributed and regulated. Then: onwards to the Jan Becher Museum, where we'll learn the history behind Becherovka, a famous Czech herbal liqueur. After a tasting session, the rest of the day will be yours to spend as you please (with the chance to use the spa and thermal springs) before we come together for tonight's farewell dinner. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 6 - Karlovy Vary - Pilsen - Prague After leaving Karlovy Vary behind us, our first stop of the day will be Pilsen. Here, we'll be lucky enough to visit the Pilsen brewery: where Pilsner Urquell beer was born 175 years ago. After touring the bottling facility and exploring the three brew houses, we'll round off our tour in the historic cellars - where we'll have the chance to taste the beer for ourselves. Before we return to Prague, we'll have just enough time to step inside the Cathedral of St Bartholomew (which boasts the Czech Republic's tallest spire) - where we'll take in spectacular views across the city from the galleries. Back in the capital later this afternoon, we'll say our goodbyes.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 16 July 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..