A Traditional Alsace Christmas
From 06/12/2020 to 10/12/2020
Learn traditional French recipes at a hands-on cooking class in Ostheim.
Browse the stalls of the Alsace region's most enchanting Christmas markets.
Discover the beautiful 'Magic of Lights' illuminations in Colmar.
Itinerary / more information
DAY 1 - Basel - Ungersheim - Eguisheim After meeting the group in a festively decorated Basel, we'll hit the road to France: where our five-day exploration of the Christmas traditions of Alsace will begin. Our first fairytale destination will be Ungersheim. This fascinating village is home to Alsace Ecomuseum - France's largest open-air museum - and will be filled with beautiful trees and wreaths at this magical time of year. This storybook village is France's largest open-air museum, and it will be filled with beautiful trees and wreaths at this special time of year. While we're here, we'll meet a local craftsman - who'll reveal the secrets behind the perfect Christmas decorations at an included workshop. Then: it's onwards to our hotel in Eguisheim, where a delicious welcome dinner awaits us. What a start to the trip! Accommodation: La Ferme du Pape (or similar)
DAY 2 - Eguisheim - Ostheim - Eguisheim Today we'll set our sights on the quaint village of Ostheim - where we'll roll up our sleeves for a traditional French Christmas cooking class. Using fresh seasonal produce, a local chef will show us how to recreate some delectable dishes - and when we're done, we'll have the chance to eat our creations for lunch. Later on, the afternoon will be yours to spend exploring the medieval village of Eguisheim (and its enchanting Christmas market) as you please. Enjoy a cup of mulled wine, stock up on gifts to take home or simply browse the stalls - what you do this evening is up to you! Accommodation: La Ferme du Pape (or similar)
DAY 3 - Eguisheim - Ribeauvill? - Riquewihr - Eguisheim On this morning's agenda: a stop at the 'strolling fiddlers' town' of Ribeauvill?, where we'll embark on a guided tour of the town's medieval Christmas market. With three castles and scores of Christmas trees bedecked with coats of arms and banners (not to mention troubadours, storytellers and fire jugglers), this unique market is like something out of a fairytale! After taking some time to explore, we'll switch our focus to another Christmas market in Riquewihr, where we'll have some free time to wander through the quaint narrow streets and past half-timbered houses, moving from hut to fascinating hut. And then? We'll come back together to visit a local wine cellar, where we'll have the opportunity to indulge in a wine tasting session. ? votre sant?! Accommodation: La Ferme du Pape (or similar)
DAY 4 - Eguisheim - Strasbourg - Colmar - Eguisheim First today: we'll hit the road to Strasbourg, where we'll step off the tourist trail on an included visit to the Cave des Hospices wine cellars. After a tasting and guided tour led by a local wine producer, we'll have time to take a look around the city before we climb back aboard the mini-coach and move on to lovely Colmar - where we'll discover the town's mesmerising coloured illuminations (known as the 'Magic of Lights'). Later on, we'll take our seats in St Matthieu Church for a heartwarming Christmas concert. With Christmas hymns ringing in our ears, we'll return to Eguisheim for one last group dinner. Accommodation: La Ferme du Pape (or similar)
DAY 5 - Eguisheim - Orschwiller - Basel This morning we'll bid farewell to Eguisheim and make tracks to Orschwiller, where we'll visit the 12th-century Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle - taking the time to wander the courtyard, spiral staircase, beautifully refined rooms and artillery platform for a unique glimpse into the fortress' history. Before we return to Basel, we've one more stop to make: a local brewery, where we'll toast the end of our adventure with a beer tasting session. Then: time to go our separate ways.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 11 June 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..