From 21/07/2020 to 25/09/2020
CITY TOUR in Darwin and BroomeVISIT Adelaide River War Cemetery, historic Durack HomesteadVIEW magical sunsets near Kununurra and over Cable Beach BroomeSEE native birds and wildlifeCRUISE on Katherine Gorge, the Ord River, Chamberlain Gorge and Geikie Gorge.
10 breakfasts2 lunches9 dinnersAudio Headsets for flexible sightseeingDaily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening mealsLuxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)Cherry-picked hotels all tried and trustedHandcrafted HighlightsOptional Experiences and free timeAll porterage and local charges includedMust-see sightseeing and surprise extrasAn expert Travel Director and separate Driver, Driver Guide only on Mini-StaysAll hotel tips, charges and local taxesAirport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holidayVIP entry to many sights.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Indulge your inner adventurer as you prepare to embark on an epic road trip across north-western Australia, starting in cosmopolitan Darwin (flights to arrive prior to 2pm). Take an afternoon tour of the city, then enjoy a Welcome Reception and Regional Dinner with your Travel Director and fellow travellers at a waterfront restaurant.
2 - We journey south into the interior, along Stuart Highway. Our first stop is at Adelaide River's poignant War Cemetery, before we continue via Katherine to Nitmiluk National Park. Take a moment to connect with your soul-stirring surrounds as you embark on a tranquil cruise along the Katherine Gorge. You'll learn about the history and culture of the Jawoyn people, the traditional owners of this wilderness area. Then, 'Dive into Culture' when you meet Tom Curtain who will share the inner workings of life on a cattle station during his insightful and entertaining show at the Katherine Outback Experience.
3 - The outback landscape transforms dramatically as you journey across vast pastoral leases and Aboriginal homelands into Western Australia. Stop at the historic Durack Homestead, which was built in 1895 and became one of the most famous social gathering places of East Kimberley. Later, cruise along the Ord River, which provides sanctuary for an abundance of native fish, birds and marsupials. Witness a magical sunset over the water before your arrival in Kununurra.
4 - A full free day to encounter Kununurra on your terms. Consider an Optional Experience early-morning scenic flight over the beehive-shaped towers of the Bungle Bungle Range, or embark on a full-day 4WD tour of the Bungle Bungles. After time at leisure, 'Connect with Locals' over a privately hosted Be My Guest dinner in the heart of Kununurra's sandalwood plantations, featuring locally grown produce.
5 - The spicy flavours of local rum take centre stage this morning as we embark on a guided tour of an Ord River distillery with a 'Local Specialist'. Then, it's on to Gibb River Road where we'll spend the next two nights in one of Trafalgar's 'Stays with Stories' - Emma Gorge Resort. Settle in to your safari-style tented cabin nestled at the foot of the red-hued Cockburn Ranges in the El Questro Wilderness Park.
6 - The sounds of Corellas and Kookaburras kick-start your morning as you enjoy a hearty breakfast at your bush lodgings. We embark on a full-day encounter with the natural splendour of El Questro, which begins on a cruise with a 'Local Specialist' on Chamberlain Gorge, an extensive waterhole fringed by tropical vegetation and soaring escarpment. Spend the afternoon at leisure. Cool off in the pool, relax with a good book on your cabin's veranda, or join your Travel Director for a hike to Emma Gorge, followed by a dip in its crystal-clear waterhole.
7 - Join a 'Local Specialist' Aboriginal guide for a tour of the Argyle Diamond Mine, the world's largest source of coloured diamonds. Then, continue south to the historic town of Halls Creek.
8 - We travel to the remote township of Fitzroy Crossing this morning, stopping en route to visit the Mangkaja Art Gallery. Our visit will 'Make a Difference' to the centre's efforts to promote and support local indigenous artists. This afternoon, cruise with a 'Local Specialist' through magnificent Geikie Gorge, keeping a keen eye out for freshwater crocodiles, fruit-bats and wallabies as the 30-metre walls of the gorge tower above you.
9 - Spectacular landscapes provide a beautiful backdrop for our drive to the former pearling outpost of Broome. Enjoy a town tour with your Travel Director, which includes a visit to the Japanese Cemetery and nearby Gantheaume Point. Admire the rugged red cliffs rising in stark contrast to the surrounding cobalt blue waters, then relax with a drink while the sun sets over the Indian Ocean.
10 - Indulge in some free time today to explore this tropical hideaway. Take a leisurely stroll along Cable Beach and cool off in its refreshing waters, or wander through Chinatown and shop for pearls. Your journey through north-western Australia almost at its end, join your fellow travellers for a Farewell Dinner tonight.
11 - Say farewell to your fellow travellers as your holiday comes to an end this morning after breakfast. You'll be transferred to Broome Airport for your onward flight (flights anytime).
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 09 June 2020 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 04 June 2020 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.