Classical Greece & Idyllic Islands - 12 Days
From 2020-08-13 to 2020-09-17
11 nights 3-4 star hotels.
11 breakfasts and 3 dinners.
One arrival transfer on Day 1 (Athens) and One departure transfer on Day 12 (Santorini) included per booking.
Entrance fees for all included sites.
Services of an English-speaking tour guide for all scheduled sightseeing.
Note: Touring is operated in conjunction with other tourist groups, not solely On The Go.
You will join travellers who booked through other operators for sightseeing each day, some staying in different hotels, and spend your evenings at leisure.
The group can vary in size from 20 - 45 persons.
Guiding may be in an additional language to English.
Guided sightseeing in Athens, Olympia, Zakynthos, Delphi, and Meteora.
Two ferry tickets - Kyllini - Zakynthos and Praeus - Santorini.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Athens Welcome to Athens! On arrival you will be met at the airport and transferred to the hotel, where you have the rest of the day at leisure.
Day 2 - Athens Today explore the most important landmarks and monuments of the historical city of Athens on a coach tour. You'll see the Panathenaic Stadium, home of the first modern Olympic Games and other iconic landmarks including the Zappeion, the temple of Olympian Zeus, and Hadrian’s wall. Then visit the iconic Acropolis and enjoy a guided visit to Propylae, the temple of Athena Nike, the Parthenon, the Erechtheion and the Acropolis Museum, recently voted one of the best museums in the world. This afternoon is free for you to independently explore – wander through the picturesque old neighbourhood of Plaka or shop for souvenirs on Ermou Street.
Day 3 - Epidaurus & Mycenae Athens - Epidaurus - Mycenae - Olympia. This morning bid farewell to Athens and travel to the Peloponnese, home to many of Greece’s greatest archaeological sites. First stop is the impressive Corinth Canal which separates the Greek mainland from the Peloponnese before travelling on to Epidaurus, a hub of ancient healing famous for its giant theatre.
This afternoon there's a brief stop in Nafplion, a beautiful town filled with numerous Venetian and Turkish buildings nestled in a labyrinth of narrow streets. Then continue to Mycenae, one of the most famous archaeological sites in the country. The site includes the towering Cyclopean walls, the beehive tomb of Agamemnon and the famous Lion's Gate. In the afternoon, cross the Peloponnese Mountains to Olympia, where there's time to freshen up or relax before dinner at the hotel.
Day 4 - Olympia Olympia - Zakynthos. This morning enjoy a guided tour of the archaeological site of ancient Olympia, home of the original Olympic Games. Highlights include the Temple of Zeus, the Palestra and Phidias’s Workshop. Then continue to one of the richest museums in Greece, home to the impressive Hermes of Praxitelis statue.
In the afternoon leave the rest of the group and take a private transfer to the port of Kyllini to board a local ferry to the island of Zakynthos, one of the most popular islands on the Ionian Sea. After checking into our hotel the rest of the afternoon is free for you to explore.
Day 5 - Zakynthos This morning embark on a coach tour to the north-east part of Zakynthos and learn about the history and mythology of the island en-route. There's a brief stop at Alykes Hills for the perfect photo opportunity with great scenery overlooking the whole of the island, mainland Greece and the neighbouring island of Kefalonia. Then arrive at a small fishing village and board a boat to travel around the north shores of the island, arriving at Navagio beach, the most photographed beach in the world, before the crowds. The boat then continues to the famous “Blue Caves” (subject to weather conditions), one of the islands most famous natural attractions. Take a dip in the caves rich waters which appear to turn everything below the water blue. On your way back to the port look out for dolphins and sea-turtles before stopping at the sea-spa of Xingia, a small sandy beach with turquoise waters containing traces of Sulphur and collagen. Enjoy a swim that will leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Return to your hotel for an afternoon at leisure.
Day 6 - Zakynthos Zakynthos - Delphi. This morning there's free time to enjoy the town of Zakynthos before your transfer to Kyllini port where you will board the ferry back to the mainland. From here continue your tour of mainland Greece. It's a scenic drive around Oatras and over the Rio-Antirio bridge to the picturesque town of Delphi in time for dinner at the hotel. Watch the sunset over the Gulf of Corinth and soak up the incredible views of Delphi's dramatic landscape.
Day 7 - Delphi Delphi - Kalambaka. Delphi, one the most sacred pilgrimage centres in the world, is yours to explore on a guided tour today. Admire the Sanctuary of Apollo and walk up the Sacred Way to reach the incredible Temple of Apollo. After exploring this spectacular archaeological site, see the bronze Charioteer statue and the mythical omphalos stone at the fascinating Delphi Museum. This afternoon cross the mountains of central Greece on your journey to Kalambaka, the gateway to Meteroa. After dinner at the hotel, the evening is free to explore the town.
Day 8 - Kalambaka Kalambaka - Meteora - Athens. After breakfast visit the extraordinary Meteora World Heritage Site, where Byzantine monasteries are perched on top of towering rock formations. Marvel at the surreal landscape and explore two of the Orthodox monasteries, which provided a sacred retreat for monks over centuries. From Meteora it's a long drive back to Athens with a stop en route at Thermopylae, where King Leonidas and 300 Spartans made a famous last stand against the Persians in 480 BC. Upon arrival bid farewell to your fellow travellers and spend the evening at leisure.
Day 9 - Santorini Athens – Santorini. After breakfast, you will be transferred to the port of Piraeus to catch the local ferry to the magical island of Santorini. The journey takes roughly 8 hours and on arrival you'll be met and transferred to your hotel.
Day 10-11 - Santorini The next two days are free for you to relax and explore the beautiful volcanic island of Santorini. No trip to the island would be complete without exploring the whitewashed towns of Fira and Oia which boast amazing views of the volcano that birthed the island. Sit on the black-sanded beaches for one of the best sunsets in the Aegean or cruise around the caldera on a boat tour.
Day 12 - Santorini Your tour of Greece ends today. Spend the morning at leisure before an included transfer to Santorini airport for your onward flight.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 12 August 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..