Best of China - 14 Days
From 2022-09-03 to 2022-11-12
13 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 1 Peking Duck dinner.
12 nights 3 - 4 star hotels.
1 overnight train: Beijing - Xi'an (4-berth soft sleeper cabin):.
2 economy class one way flights: Chengdu - Guilin and Guilin - Shanghai.
High speed train journey: Xi'an - Chengdu.
Touring of Beijing, Badaling, Juyongguan, Xi'an, Chengdu, Longsheng and Yangshuo.
Chinese acrobatic performance.
Rickshaw ride through Beijings' Hutongs.
Xi’an - bike ride on medieval City Wall.
Tour Guide escorted for groups of 6 or more.
Beijing Capital Airport arrival transfer on day 1 and departure transfer day 14 from Shanghai Airport.
English speaking specialist guides at local sights.
All relevant transfers and transportation in private A/C vehicles.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Beijing Saturday. Huan ying, welcome to China and the start of your holiday! Airport arrival transfer from Beijing Capital Airport to your hotel for check-in. The remainder of the day offers free time for you to independently explore this astonishing city.
Day 2 - Beijing This morning, we tour the centre of Beijing, China's magnificent capital, including the massive Tiananmen Square and the sprawling Forbidden City. Boasting some 9999 rooms, the city within a city was once the sole preserve of the Chinese emperors. This afternoon we take a rickshaw ride through the Hutongs of Beijing and this evening, we enjoy an eye boggling Chinese acrobatic performance. Swinging ropes, juggling hoops, spinning plates and human pyramids are just a few tricks these show stoppers pull out followed by a Welcome Dinner of Peking Duck.
Day 3 - Great Wall After a free morning to further explore the city, we drive beyond Beijing to Badaling, to walk a section of the famous Great Wall. Built in the Ming Dynasty, a 6m wide pathway makes a formidable defence, following the highest contours of a steep range of hills. This evening we spend the night at our quaint hotel near Juyongguan Pass, which offers views of the Great Wall.
Day 4 - Juyongguan Pass Beijing - Xi’an. We rise early this morning and head (5 min bus drive) to the Great Wall at Juyongguan Pass when it opens to beat the crowds. Explore and enjoy the spectacular scenery in peace as this section sees far fewer tourists.After we visit a Jade Carving Centre and have lunch before returning to Beijing. Free time is offered in the cavernous Pearl Market, a one stop shop for souvenirs, handbag, silk and more. In the evening we board our train to Xi'an.
Day 5 - Xi'an Arrive Xi’an. This morning we visit the Terracotta Warrior archaeological site. Standing in battle-ready formation and numbering into the thousands, the Terracotta Army is Xian’s most popular sight and was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987, 13 years after the army was discovered. Built by local craftsman during the 3rd century BC for emperor Qinshihuang, the life-sized warriors and horses were designed to offer protection in the afterlife. After we visit to a clay workshop specialising in making replica figurines of the Terracotta Warriors, followed by the Muslim Quarter. Tonight, we welcome you to join the optional Tang Dynasty Show, which includes dinner, a traditional performance and transfers (bookable locally).
Day 6 - Xi'an Xi’an - Chengdu. After breakfast, we enjoy a bike ride atop the Xi’an City Wall (electric car option available). Dating back to 1370 the 12m-high walls are some of the few remaining urban fortifications still standing in China today and after extensive restorations the City Walls offer ample opportunities from which to explore Xian. We’ll then visit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, one of Xian’s most iconic landmarks. Late this afternoon we take a high speed train to Chengdu. Reaching speeds of up to 300km per hour the journey is an experience in itself!
Day 7 - Chengdu Today's highlight is the famous Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. The centre has been created to help and imitate the pandas’ natural habitat in order that they might have the best possible environment for rearing and breeding. Later we visit the Wenshu Monastery, built during the Qing Dynasty. The temple is a hidden gem with few tourists visiting and a stop must be made at the delightful teahouse located inside the temple grounds which serves a fine cup of green tea and some of the best vegetarian food in the city. The evening is spent at leisure. On most nights Sichuan Opera is performed at the Shufengyayun Theatre and tickets can be booked locally or in advance.
Day 8 - Chengdu Driving to Leshan our morning is spent exploring the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Dafo (Great Buddha), which is carved into the red sandstone face of Lingyun Hill overlooking the treacherous confluence of the Min, Qingyi and Dadu rivers below it. Dafo has huge 8m feet, his ears droop 7m, his shoulders span 28m and his nose measures a whopping 5.6m! Evening at leisure.
Day 9-11 - Guilin Chengdu - Yangshuo. Early this morning we fly to Guilin where we’ll drive out to Longsheng for a tour of the spectacular terraces of the Dragon’s Backbone. Taking a walk along the stone paths no more than a metre wide, we’ll pass many of the Yao and Red Yao minority women. Reaching the ‘Seven Stars accompanying Moon’ lookout, soak up the spectacular views.
Later, we head to Yangshou for the night. The remainder of our time here is at leisure. Choose to hike, hire a bicycle or motorbike and head off on one of the many mountain trails or stop to watch the local fishermen use their trained cormorants to catch fish. Time can also be spent exploring the ancient alley of West Street. Maybe enjoy a morning class at the ‘Cloud 9’ cooking school. By nightfall, visit any of the cafes, pubs or bars or attend the nightly ‘Impression Liu Sanjie’ musical, with a cast of 500 singers and dancers.
Day 12-13 - Shanghai Yangshou - Shanghai. In the afternoon on day 12, we drive to Guilin and fly onward to Shanghai. Upon arrival we transfer to our hotel. Shanghai is a city where old meets new with the former French concession and traditional Chinese buildings standing beside gleaming modern skyscrapers and neon lights. Spend the next day at leisure, independently exploring this cosmopolitan city. Head to the attractive Bund waterfront area and take in the spectacular Pudong skyline, stroll around the beautiful Yuyuan Garden and explore the picturesque Old Town.
Day 14 - Shanghai Friday. Our time in China comes to an end today. Following breakfast and hotel check-out a transfer will take you to the airport for your onward travels.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 July 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans